Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RIP Stephen Hawking

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: RIP Stephen Hawking
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:08 PM
One of the most truly brilliant humans in history. His incredible insight and foresight will forever be remembered. May those who guide the world look back to his acute  sense of humanity and morality!

Humanity and morality?  It is well-known that he was a recidivist divorcee with a penchant for strip clubs.  His philosophy, which denied ab initio the possibility of a creator - though all objective evidence points at the conclusion that every effect (the universe) has a cause equal to or greater than itself - led him to forward the truly kooky notion that nothing created everything - nevermind that he offered no evidence of his thesis.  As for his "morality", his worldview denies the possibility of objective morality because philosophical naturalism posits that there is no objective good or bad in the universe.  We cannot ascribe morality to someone who denies its existence.

Were it not for his confinement to a wheelchair and his electronic voice, few of us would have ever heard of him.  But the greatest, most brilliant genius of our times he was surely not. 

(Image removed from quote.)  Running for cover!

Wow. Nice job ignoring any good he has ever done to try and get people who wouldn't care otherwise, to see what harm people are to themselves and their environment.

I'm not arguing with you about this, noodle. You can keep your cynical either/or smurf. I am not taking the bait. This will be my last post in this thread. Period.
RIP Stephen Hawking.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:36:09 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
The little guy came down from his room a little bit ago and says to mom,

Hey mom, you know what me and what’s his name are going to do in order to honor Stephen Hawkings?
Mom, no, what?
We’re going to play our one space game on the computer,
Mom, cool
Yeah, all because it’s got wormholes in it!

I thought that was cute, it put a smile on my face, even though I was standing in the tub scrubbing the tiles,, :D
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:54 PM
Steven's passing is indeed a great loss to the nation and to science. I lack both the intellect and indeed the prejudice to judge his mind and his theories, but he is, was, and will remain, a highly regarded theoretical physicist, accomplished author, and father of three.

It is sad to see that some people feel compelled to mark his passing with derogatory comments. I am in no position nor feel no need  to pass judgement on him, but would like to express my thanks for his work and dedication despite his life adversity. If nothing else he was a great inspiration that one can still achieve great thing when faced with debilitating life challenges.

Thank you, Steven, and may you rest in peace.
+1

RIP Mr. Hawking!  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 10:20:27 PM
Without turning this into a religious debate, which has no place on this forum, one does not need belief in a deity to have morality. I did not know Stephen personally, so I will make no judgement on his.

Stephen's passing is indeed a great loss to the nation and to science. I lack both the intellect and indeed the prejudice to judge his mind and his theories, but he is, was, and will remain, a highly regarded theoretical physicist, accomplished author, and father of three.

It is sad to see that some people feel compelled to mark his passing with derogatory comments. I am in no position nor feel no need  to pass judgement on him, but would like to express my thanks for his work and dedication despite his life adversity. If nothing else he was a great inspiration that one can still achieve great thing when faced with debilitating life challenges.

Thank you, Stephen, and may you rest in peace.
+1
Religion does not have a licence on morality.
Show content
"ph"  :pok: - FTFY  :whistle:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:37 PM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 11:42:01 PM
Is our MTo black armband banner for SH?  Or did I miss something else? :( 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 11:51:11 PM
Is our MTo black armband banner for SH?  Or did I miss something else? :(
MusicMen, aka Bill.  :cry:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=profile;u=17231
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:53:46 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:12 AM
R.I.P. Dr. Hawking.
4cfb316613bd4e539bebe96a9e64fec6.jpg
* 4cfb316613bd4e539bebe96a9e64fec6.jpg (Filesize: 39.62 KB)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 09:06:50 AM
After reading a few comments I feel I need to elucidate my position a bit further.

First of, I have no doubts that he was one of the best physicists. And I know he wrote good books.

The thing I was saying is that it was not due to him being a most special genius of them all. There are a lot of geniuses among the 7.4 billion humans even though there are not many percent wise. What he achieved was not only due to his intelligence but due to hard work and perseverance. Many of those that are smart enough don't do anything approaching what he did because it is hard, takes a long time and there is no way to know if you will succeed when you start. If that (my) view of how things get done diminishes his achievements in anyone's eyes then he or she must have a lot different definition of what is success than I. If that is a nihilistic compared to he did it because he was born to do it then I can't help it. In my eyes my world view hives him a lot more agency than a standard heroic worldview.

As for no one being really important in the great scheme of things (as in stuff gets invented one way or another) see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_discovery
vs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_theory_of_invention_and_scientific_development

Or in other words he did not stand on shoulders of giants but on piles of hard working smart people like him. And yes there is a big difference. You are a giant by birth (ok the same goes partially for being smart) but hard work is ones own doing. Again, as I see it there is more agency on the part of the individual in my interpretation compared to the hero theory.

As for the view only he could do it see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple_discoveries
I would wager that more often than not this is the case. Discoveries and inventions don't happen in a vacuum. The intellectual sitting on the rock and contemplating and then shouting eureka at everyone is simply a false model of reality. In fact important advancements happen as an interplay between before mentioned piles of hard working smart people. And in the process some of them are inevitably wrong despite them being smart and hard working. 

As for the press not recognising many important scientists we agree.  :cheers:

As for the super heroes, I mentioned them as the extreme of our culture's obsession with heroes. If you find that irrelevant in this debate fine. What you call cynical I call realistic. And if you, once again, find the Wikipedia links useless also fine. I will not send you travelling as you tried sending me. :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:08:08 AM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 12:48:54 PM
One of the most truly brilliant humans in history. His incredible insight and foresight will forever be remembered. May those who guide the world look back to his acute  sense of humanity and morality!

Humanity and morality?  It is well-known that he was a recidivist divorcee with a penchant for strip clubs.  His philosophy, which denied ab initio the possibility of a creator - though all objective evidence points at the conclusion that every effect (the universe) has a cause equal to or greater than itself - led him to forward the truly kooky notion that nothing created everything - nevermind that he offered no evidence of his thesis.  As for his "morality", his worldview denies the possibility of objective morality because philosophical naturalism posits that there is no objective good or bad in the universe.  We cannot ascribe morality to someone who denies its existence.

Were it not for his confinement to a wheelchair and his electronic voice, few of us would have ever heard of him.  But the greatest, most brilliant genius of our times he was surely not. 

(Image removed from quote.)  Running for cover!

Without turning this into a religious debate, which has no place on this forum, one does not need belief in a deity to have morality. I did not know Steven personally, so I will make no judgement on his.

Steven's passing is indeed a great loss to the nation and to science. I lack both the intellect and indeed the prejudice to judge his mind and his theories, but he is, was, and will remain, a highly regarded theoretical physicist, accomplished author, and father of three.

Thank you, Steven, and may you rest in peace.

+1

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 03:46:28 AM
The thing I was saying is that it was not due to him being a most special genius of them all. There are a lot of geniuses among the 7.4 billion humans even though there are not many percent wise. What he achieved was not only due to his intelligence but due to hard work and perseverance. Many of those that are smart enough don't do anything approaching what he did because it is hard, takes a long time and there is no way to know if you will succeed when you start. If that (my) view of how things get done diminishes his achievements in anyone's eyes then he or she must have a lot different definition of what is success than I. If that is a nihilistic compared to he did it because he was born to do it then I can't help it. In my eyes my world view hives him a lot more agency than a standard heroic worldview.

I'm going to be honest here. WHAT? What are you trying to say?

As for no one being really important in the great scheme of things (as in stuff gets invented one way or another) see:
vs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_theory_of_invention_and_scientific_development

Or in other words he did not stand on shoulders of giants but on piles of hard working smart people like him. And yes there is a big difference.

No. That is EXACTLY what the phrase 'standing on the shoulder of giants' MEANS. It is the understanding that your accomplishment is only possible because of all the work from everyone before, only from all of the accumulated knowledge that you essentially get for free from the people who figured out stuff before you. WHO figured it out is not important, only that YOU didn't have to do it. So, the beginning of your work was much farther along due to others' hard work. I think you're caught up on some imagined meaning that is not present in that phrase. It might make more sense to understand that giant here is a metaphor. Let me replace the word giant to clarify. Pyramid. Imagine what it means is that each person who learns something adds a stone to create a base of a pyramid. Someone else uses that stone, places another on top, and only that huge accumulation of knowledge allows the next person to add another stone, and each new person steps one stone higher, seeing just a little further. The 'giant' is not an individual, but an accumulation upon which we stand, and in turn (hopefully) add to ourselves.

As for the view only he could do it see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple_discoveries
I would wager that more often than not this is the case. Discoveries and inventions don't happen in a vacuum. The intellectual sitting on the rock and contemplating and then shouting eureka at everyone is simply a false model of reality. In fact important advancements happen as an interplay between before mentioned piles of hard working smart people. And in the process some of them are inevitably wrong despite them being smart and hard working. 

Showing the parallel development happens does NOT show that it happens in ALL cases, or even MOST, only SOME. And SOME is a pretty weak argument. In fact, what you're describing, 'Multiple Discovery' is a hypothesis, stating "most scientific discoveries and inventions are made independently and more or less simultaneously by multiple scientists and inventors." While it's absolutely certain that parallel development DOES happen, even the hypothesis says 'most scientific discoveries', meaning that it ALSO understands that 'heroic theory of invention' MUST happen at least in some instances.

I said in my FIRST post about this that sure, probably someone would come along and figure out every thing that Hawking figured out EVENTUALLY, but every breakthrough spurs more breakthroughs, and waiting on some is a bottleneck in progress. By the way, I looked up the numbers, and assuming an IQ of 160, there should be about 200,000 people on Earth right now that are that smart. Narrow that down to how many are in the VERY specific field he was in, and I doubt there are even a handful of people who COULD make his discoveries. Given an infinite timeline, sure, someone WOULD. But there is no way of predicting how soon, and it might have been a long time.

As for the press not recognising many important scientists we agree.  :cheers:

:drink:

I will not send you travelling as you tried sending me. :D

I said take it elsewhere, because as an adult, posting 'someone else could have done it' in the eulogy thread of a person is, to me, in EXTREMELY bad taste. Bringing up issues of hero worship in a thread noting the passing of someone who honestly made a difference in the world is MAYBE IN BAD TASTE... RIGHT?

If you disagree, fine, you have a whole forum in which to start a thread called 'Steven Hawking liked strippers, and his discoveries would have been figured out by a colleague anyway', but it's in REALLY SMURFING BAD TASTE to post that in THIS thread. You GET that?

So, if you WISH to smurf on him, PLEASE... seriously... take it ELSEWHERE.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 09:19:04 AM
I am not smurfing on him. And don't put words of others (strippers) nor yours in my mouth. What I said was there were a few people in position to do what he did sooner or later. But HE was the one to do it sooner. He won the race, he was the best of the best. And he did it on several occasions. And he did it despite his health.

And when you say you don't understand what I wrote, english is not my native language. This is the best I can do.  :-\

Also this will be my last post as I do not believe this discussion is going anywhere.
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 09:59:10 AM
It is well-known that he was a recidivist divorcee with a penchant for strip clubs.

I did not know, and that fact that I find it so funny probably highlights one of my many character flaws  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
I am not smurfing on him. And don't put words of others (strippers) nor yours in my mouth.

Go back and reread the thread. The strippers comment wasn't about you. It was about people taking shots at someone in a eulogy thread, and how it's in bad taste. I didn't even intend to imply that came from you, although in rereading, I see how you walked away with that impression.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 08:58:50 AM
For everything Stephen Hawking: https://wakelet.com/@StephenHawking

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:28 PM
I just came to say RIP.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri