Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is Spirit a left-hand tool?

Nikos · 39 · 4021

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Is Spirit a left-hand tool?
Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 03:34:20 PM
From the ::), I assume that you think it is for another reason?
Not at all... It's just that this rationale reminded me of this... :)

As for the "better access for a right-handed individual" bit, I can totally understand what you're talking about; however, it makes no sense to me. Since you use a nail knick to open the blade, it could as well be the other way around (it's not an OH configuration). Actually this is were this all started for me. I decided to mod a couple of SwissTools I have lying around to make them OH openers and only then did I realize their blades are no good for that... unless I were a lefty.

The configuration of a blade with a nail nick is as important as one that is OH.  For a right-handed individual, a blade with a nail nick is meant to be opened with the left thumb, an OH tool is opened with the right.

Most right-handed individuals are used to holding a tool (knife, multi, etc.) with their right hand as if they are going to use it.  They use their left thumb nail to open the blade.  With this configuration, a right-handed individual doesn't ever have to change their grip on the tool.

If the Swisstool's knife were on the other side of the tool, how would you open the blade, using your thumbnail, without switching the tool to your left hand, then having to switch it back after opening it?  The nail nick would have to be on the other side of the blade. 

Now, about the can opener configuration on SAKs and how it affects the position of the blade....  It's a little more logical that you might think.  It is designed to always be on the "left" side of the knife so that it operates best to open cans, (for right-handed people) regardless of the model of the knife.  Therefore, the main blade is always "behind" the can opener on a SAK.  If the configuration was reversed to have the can opener on the other side of the knife (behind the blade as you hold it in your right hand), how would the can opener work on wide knives like the Swisschamp?  It wouldn't.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:46:22 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 04:10:43 PM
Most right-handed individuals are used to holding a tool (knife, multi, etc.) with their right hand as if they are going to use it.  They use their left thumb nail to open the blade.  With this configuration, a right-handed individual doesn't ever have to change their grip on the tool.

If the Swisstool's knife were on the other side of the tool, how would you open the blade, using your thumbnail, without switching the tool to your left hand, then having to switch it back after opening it?  The nail nick would have to be on the other side of the blade.
...or make the knife blade protrude some more when in the closed position (as is the case with regular SAKs) and put the nail knick on the outer part of the blade... As a matter of fact, I believe that if one exchanged the knife and saw blades in the Spirit (and put the nail knick on the other side of the saw), he would end up with quite a winner for me...

Now, about the can opener configuration on SAKs and how it affects the position of the blade....  It's a little more logical that you might think.  It is designed to always be on the "left" side of the knife so that it operates best to open cans, (for right-handed people) regardless of the model of the knife.  Therefore, the main blade is always "behind" the can opener on a SAK.  If the configuration was reversed to have the can opener on the other side of the knife (behind the blade as you hold it in your right hand), how would the can opener work on wide knives like the Swisschamp?  It wouldn't.
Got it. I still believe that there are more possibilities with wide SAKs though... For example, by looking at my trusty Explorer I tend to believe that one could invert the positioning of the small and large knife blades (and then probably of all of the implements on the back side of the knife) and end up with a configuration where both the can opener and main blade are on the left side of the knife.

Oh well... This is more of a rant from a guy coming back to SAKs from years of OH-blade-dominated multitool use...

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 05:02:50 PM
You could have the blade protrude more and it would work, but then the handle might not be as comfortable when using some tools due to the protrusion.  I suppose there are drawbacks to any design, depending on the viewpoint.

I think I see what you mean about inverting the position...  If the large blade were paired up with the can opener rather than the small blade, you would have both tools on the side of the knife that you want them.  I suppose that would work.  The thing is, after many years of SAK use, I've never run into a situation where I needed the blade closer to the can opener side of the knife, even when using the really wide ones.

I think it's been a good discussion--not really a rant.  I think some great points were brought up in this thread!  :tu:
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 05:06:13 PM
Wait though...  If you paired the large blade with the can opener, the blade would be on the wrong end of the knife!  :ahhh

:D
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:30 PM
Wait though...  If you paired the large blade with the can opener, the blade would be on the wrong end of the knife!  :ahhh

:D

:think: :twak: ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 06:05:46 PM
Some gimp'ing later:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:37:24 PM by noth »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 06:16:10 PM
Some gimp'ing later:
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like it would work, but the nail nicks for the cap lifter and can opener would then be on the "back" side of the knife, instead of being on the same side as the large blade.  I think it might bother me also comfort-wise, since the large blade hinges on the "fat" end of the knife.

I guess I should ask...  Why is it important to you to have the blade on that side of the knife?
- Terry

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 06:27:03 PM
That looks like it would work, but the nail nicks for the cap lifter and can opener would then be on the "back" side of the knife, instead of being on the same side as the large blade.  I think it might bother me also comfort-wise, since the large blade hinges on the "fat" end of the knife.
Yup... That was as far as I could get with only a couple of minutes with gimp. I'm sure Vic guys could get it better should they put their heads at it.

I guess I should ask...  Why is it important to you to have the blade on that side of the knife?
First, it's more of a personal preference matter; I'm used to placing my thumb right over the blade on my folders for powerful cuts, exchanging it for my index finger for more precision work. Second, it's a must en route to a OH configuration -- I could imagine adding a thumb stud on the blade of my Spirit and cutting out a small semi-circular area in the handle for the stud to fit when closed, but that's impossible with the current blade arrangement. Third, I went ahead and asked hoping someone with insider connections to Victorinox would come up with an "official" answer to this, as I'm sure this is a very well-thought design whose intricacies are slipping all of us.

Offline nitroman

Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 12:08:09 PM
I knew there was a reason i like victorinox so much!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%