Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Chili Thread

Nix · 1158 · 32902

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: The Great Chili Thread
Reply #90 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:04 PM

Got some chili cookin'...  :)

Should have used two cans of chili beans, but oh well...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:08:48 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #91 on: April 05, 2018, 06:23:22 PM
Do any of you ever use brown sugar in one of your recipes? It´s a trick I learned from my late aunt in South Carolina, she said it originates from Texas. The brown sugar will sweeten your dish, no doubt about that, but - unbeknownst to most - it will also add a hot and spicy flavor.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:24:35 PM by Ron Who »

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #92 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:27 PM
Not brown sugar, but I do put about tablespoon or two of sugar or honey in my chili every time, gives it more "earthy" taste methinks :tu:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:32:54 PM by AlephZero »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: April 05, 2018, 06:48:38 PM
Lookin' good, AZ!  :tu:

Ron, I also, sometimes, put a little honey in the Chili. I haven't tried brown sugar, but it sounds like it might work well. I don't think I've seen a recipe from Texas that uses brown sugar, but sometimes these ideas are guarded family secrets.......

hr Offline styx

Reply #94 on: April 05, 2018, 07:23:54 PM
oh I'll have to try that
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

england Offline Kev D

Reply #95 on: April 05, 2018, 07:26:58 PM
oh I'll have to try that

+1 me to

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: April 08, 2018, 06:37:27 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Got some chili cookin'...  :)

Should have used two cans of chili beans, but oh well...

That looks like the right stuff, Aleph!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: April 08, 2018, 06:47:09 PM
Do any of you ever use brown sugar in one of your recipes? It´s a trick I learned from my late aunt in South Carolina, she said it originates from Texas. The brown sugar will sweeten your dish, no doubt about that, but - unbeknownst to most - it will also add a hot and spicy flavor.

Never tried that, Ron, although my father has lived in the Carolinas a long while and I've not heard of this

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #98 on: April 08, 2018, 07:15:22 PM
As far as I know, a little bit of sugar will enhance all other flavors... I swear I did actually read it somewhere, but can't remember smurf-all where  :think:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: April 09, 2018, 01:50:58 AM
As far as I know, a little bit of sugar will enhance all other flavors... I swear I did actually read it somewhere, but can't remember smurf-all where  :think:

I don't mean at all to call this into doubt. I have a sweet tooth after all. Just never heard it. But I'm gonna try it like I tried sea salt on chocolate.  And that turned out great

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #100 on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:53 AM
Little guy made his for dinner,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Choozoo

Reply #101 on: April 09, 2018, 04:29:41 AM
Had a nice lunch at Blue Ash Chili this afternoon. Ordered a 5 Way of course...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #102 on: April 09, 2018, 04:58:51 AM
Choozoo: Excellent!  That's our first posting of Chili 5-ways.....or even 3.....  :cheers:  Way to represent!

MP: nice chili dawg for the little guy. How'd he like it?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: April 09, 2018, 05:26:00 AM
Choozoo: Excellent!  That's our first posting of Chili 5-ways.....or even 3.....  :cheers:  Way to represent!

MP: nice chili dawg for the little guy. How'd he like it?
Oh please he loves them, especially when drenched with cheese..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #104 on: April 09, 2018, 01:33:15 PM

I don't mean at all to call this into doubt. I have a sweet tooth after all. Just never heard it. But I'm gonna try it like I tried sea salt on chocolate.  And that turned out great

sugar, salt and pepper in small quantities enhance the flavor of the foods and meals they accompany  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:34 PM
Lookin' good, AZ!  :tu:

Ron, I also, sometimes, put a little honey in the Chili. I haven't tried brown sugar, but it sounds like it might work well. I don't think I've seen a recipe from Texas that uses brown sugar, but sometimes these ideas are guarded family secrets.......

I have a recipe for Texas chili that has Brown sugar in it.

I put some in my chili recipe along with some red wine vinegar. I post the recipe later.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #107 on: April 09, 2018, 06:54:35 PM
In defense of sugar in your chili….

Ron’s earlier post triggered a memory for me. After digging around I found a recipe in Rob Walsh’s Chili Cookbook. I’ve seen other recipes pretty close to this one on the intraweb as well. If you poke around on the web, you’ll see that quite a few people add a spoon of sugar to their chili. So, it would seem there is some popular support for adding this ingredient in.

And it may be somewhat traditional….

The Rob Walsh recipe below is adapted from an old 1930’s restaurant recipe in San Antonio, Texas. This recipe is reported to be based on an older recipe based on the chili served by the famous “Chili Queens of San Antonio.”

The fame of the Chili Queens, who ran chili stands in the plazas of old San Antonio from the mid-1800’s to the early 1900’s, drew many visitors and are probably the reason chili became such a well known national dish in the developing USA.

Here’s Rob’s recipe, I’ve never tried it, but he does have some interesting techniques here, like making a roux with the chili grease:

5 ½ cups (1.3L) clean water
1 pound (450 grams) pork shoulder (½” dice)
2 ( 900 grams) pounds beef chuck (½” dice)
4 oz (113 grams) rendered beef tallow [substitute minced beef fat or pork lard]
2 (29mL) tablespoons salt
2 (29mL) tablespoons cumin, toasted and ground
1 (15mL) tablespoon ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 serrano chiles, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups (950mL) Rob’s chile paste [substitute 1/2 cup (237mL) chili powder]
flour as needed.

Step 1: heat water in a large soup pot over high heat.

Step 2: add in diced pork, diced beef, tallow/fat, salt, cumin, black pepper, garlic, serrano chiles, and sugar.

Step 3: bring up to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer for 35 minutes.

Step 4: add chili paste (or powder) and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Step 5: at this point, there should be a layer of red-orange grease on the top of the chili. Skim the grease off and transfer it to a warm skillet over medium heat. To the warm grease, add enough flour (50/50 mix) to make a roux or thick paste. Cook until the flour is cooked and looses it’s ‘raw’ smell, about 2 minutes. [should darken slightly]

Step 6: slowly add the cooked roux back into the chili, stirring to keep it smooth and prevent lumps. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until chili thickens up. Serve!

The roux step may sound a bit complicated, but this looks to be a very simple and easy recipe. I was surprised that the beef and pork are just added to the hot water without browning. Apparently this was a traditional (and probably practical) method. Modern interpretations of this recipe call for browning the meat first. This move would seem to add a layer of flavor, but I think I’ll first try it the way Rob specifies in his book.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:58:39 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: April 09, 2018, 07:02:19 PM
I put some in my chili recipe along with some red wine vinegar. I post the recipe later.

I've put a little vinegar in my chili as well. Red wine, cider, or balsamic. I think it can balance out any excessive sweetness when I add tomatoes.

When motivated, I make my own version of uncured Chorizo. I use Red Wine vinegar in making that. My homemade Chorizo is awlsome in chili!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #109 on: April 09, 2018, 07:05:52 PM
JR

Nice. If he also likes watching baseball, can we talk about trading our skunk-smelling dog for your chili-dog loving son? I'll even throw in a SAK to sweeten the deal.....just a thought.... :whistle:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: April 09, 2018, 09:13:50 PM
JR

Nice. If he also likes watching baseball, can we talk about trading our skunk-smelling dog for your chili-dog loving son? I'll even throw in a SAK to sweeten the deal.....just a thought.... :whistle:
Unfortunately he’s not big on sports, yet the other kid is, yet he’d eat you out of house and home! Especially of hot foods!
JR

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: April 09, 2018, 10:03:07 PM
Unfortunately he’s not big on sports, yet the other kid is, yet he’d eat you out of house and home! Especially of hot foods!

:rofl:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: April 10, 2018, 12:05:24 PM

I've put a little vinegar in my chili as well. Red wine, cider, or balsamic. I think it can balance out any excessive sweetness when I add tomatoes.

When motivated, I make my own version of uncured Chorizo. I use Red Wine vinegar in making that. My homemade Chorizo is awlsome in chili!  :tu:

when a foreigner says that word, this video always comes to mind  :D

I even posted twice in that video when it was originally uploaded  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: April 10, 2018, 03:41:57 PM

Never hear it pronounced the same way twice.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: April 11, 2018, 06:01:01 PM

Never hear it pronounced the same way twice.

as a (maybe important depending on where you live) side note, "Chorizo" and "Choriza [feminin]" are universally used in Spanish speaking countries to mean that somebody is a robber, a thief, a corrupt, or a person of dubious morals or principles.  ;)

"Ese hombre es un Chorizo" = "That man is a thief"
"Los políticos de este país son unos chorizos" = "The politicians in this country are a bunch of corrupts"

you don't want to be labeled as a "Chorizo" among Spanish speaking folks. Also, but less commonly, the "Chorizo" is the low-class word (among others) to refer to that appendix in between men's legs, as it resembles in shape and thickness to the cured meat  :D

for instance, "Cómeme mi Chorizo" = "Eat my d*ck!" and in that case the English word "D*ck" can be used both to describe a dubious behavior or a character doing impolite or illegal things ("My workmate is a d*ck") but also the appendix ("I just hit my d*ck with a baseball bat") and in those two cases the same could be said by using the word "Chorizo" ("My workmate is un chorizo") and ("I just hit my chorizo with a baseball bat")  :tu:

just for future reference  :salute:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #115 on: April 11, 2018, 06:27:17 PM
just for future reference  :salute:

Excellent cultural lesson!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:32 AM
So back in post #107, I put up a recipe for "Chili Queen Chili".

I confessed then that I had never tried it. I felt a little awkward posting something I had never used, so I resolved to make up a batch to test out.

I got.....mixed results......but it was delicious, as chili tends to be.

Let me explain:

Mrs Nix likes her chili thick, not too salty, and no too spicy. So I was working around these parameters, try to adapt the Rob Walsh recipe for her tastes. When I started making this chili, it seemed like the 5 &1/2 cups of water would be just too much. So I cut that back to 2 cups. This was a reasonable move--I felt--because I had made Rob's "Chili Paste", which turned out to be a rather soupy chili sauce.

I figured the liquids would balance out. Even so, before I got the step where the roux gets added back to the chili, I was really worried it would end up being too thin and soupy.

And I couldn't resist browning a bit of the beef to add a bit of flavor.  After that, I followed the recipe fairly faithfully. I did cut my meats into smaller pieces, probably closer to a 1/4" dice. And I simmered it all for about two hours before making the roux.

And I tossed in a big pinch of Mexican Oregano.

Did I mention I have trouble following recipes exactly?

Yeah, well, so it goes. I did skim the "orange grease" off the top of the pot, and then used that to make a roux with a few big spoonfuls of flour. It was hard to spot exactly when the roux had been cooked sufficiently, so I just kept whisking it until the bubbling settled down and it looked a little bit darker. I then added some broth from the chili to the roux to make a thick, thick mixture. I then transferred part of this mix back into the chili, stirring as I did, until I got a nice thick sauce for the chili. I still had had the roux mix left over--that got stashed in the fridge for later. I'm thinking gravy for grilled chicken.  :think:

I added a wee bit more salt after tasting, but used far less than the 2 tablespoons Rob specified. It ended up looking like this:

You can see there is a fair bit of pork bobbing around in that sauce. In hindsight, I'd be more likely to use 3 pounds of beef to 1 pound of pork to keep the flavor more focused on beef.
I served mine with a pinch of salt, a big dash of cayenne pepper, cheese, and chopped green onions. Same for Mrs Nix, but she topped hers with some Frito corn chips, too. Sort of an Upside-Down Frito Pie.

OK, so it was really good. As I worked through the recipe, it struck me that this is a very European-influence recipe with it's big dose of black pepper and a flour roux. But that makes sense since chili is really a fusion of food ideas between the various cultures mixing in Texas in the 1800's.

I'm definitely likely to give this recipe another try, but I think I'd do things a little differently: increase the beef, decreased the pork. Definitely brown the beef in advance. Use less liquid initially and add extra as needed. Beef stock would provide more flavor than plain water. The Mexican Oregano definitely work but might put that in more towards the end. I should mention that the 2 tablespoons of cumin seemed like a lot, but mellowed out over the course of cooking. Still, if you aren't a huge fan of cumin, it might be worth backing off on that a little.

It was fun trying to reach back to early 1900's Texas and get a taste of what some of those Chili Queens were hawking in old San Antonio's squares and plazas. I'd have gone back for seconds no doubt.........

england Offline Kev D

Reply #117 on: April 18, 2018, 09:07:59 AM
Chili tonight  :drool:

Tonight it will be in tortilla boats with salsa and sour cream on top

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:11 PM
that looks like a powerful meal  :like: :ahhh
You are indubiously talented in the cooking, something many so called men out there can't even picture  :salute:

As a side note, regarding Chorizo, [yes I know this is no "Chorizo" thread  :P] I remembered while talking to a shop owner the other day, that in our language there is also a verb derived from the word, which is "Chorizar" (infinitive) with all the variations and derivatives.  :D

The word itself does not exist in formal texts but the dictionary accepts it as a colloquialism or universally used incorrection. It means "to steal", "to rob" or "to unlawfully take away" something from someone,  :think:

so you can "chorizar" an item from a store, the politicians "chorizan" money from the taxpayers and that thief has just "chorizado" a mobile phone from a person
So you are a "chorizo/a" if you "chorizas" things from places and people  :tu:

Oddly enough the verb "chorizar" can't be used to describe the act of making Chorizo, and there are other words used for the preparation of that and other cold meats   :cheers:
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #119 on: April 19, 2018, 01:27:18 AM
El P,

You are making me want to cook another batch of chili with Chorizo........ :drool:

Mrs Nix convinced me to give the "Frito Pie" a try to night:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD