Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lynn's First SAK Mod Build

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Re: Lynn's First SAK Mod Build
Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 02:01:47 AM
Nice work Lynn !

I followed this thread with interest.

Just enough drama and suspense to think " is she gonna stick with it, or abort the mission " ?

Happy to see you stuck with it and succeeded !

No quit in this Lady!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 02:38:23 AM
This is interesting to follow.  :tu:

Oh... and it wouldn't help to replace the aluminum liners with brass, because then the stainless steel would be less noble than the brass, and the corrosion would most likely affect the stainless steel. So...  :think:

Brass contains significant amounts of zinc, so chances are that the zinc in the brass would be eaten away first. Hence the general rule to avoid using brass submerged in seawater. (As opposed to some bronzes which are very good for just that).

With galvanic corrosion the relative surface sizes of the metals matter a lot too in practical terms. So you can for instance use stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold together aluminium constructions, but the other way around would be bad.

I wanted to come back to this point.

Right. For some reason, even KNOWING they were brass, my brain was saying 'bronze'. They're not bronze. So... What Vidar said.  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 02:40:01 AM
No quit in this Lady!

Actually, I have a whole pile of 'never finished' projects. But THIS one was done to completion. Thanks for the kind words, though.  :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 05:25:08 AM
Very nice work, Lynn!  :tu:
I have yet to get into SAK modding, but this thread has a lot of tips and tricks that inspires confidence with SAK modding!  :cheers:

Vidar,
Please keep us up-to-date on your threaded rod progress!  :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 05:38:46 AM
I have yet to get into SAK modding, but this thread has a lot of tips and tricks that inspires confidence with SAK modding!  :cheers:

:cheers:

Honestly, a big thing that pressed me toward doing this was to encourage others to give it a try. I am BY FAR not the most skilled person at this kind of crafting. And I think if I can do it, most anyone with some effort and patience can.

And a dremel... and a hand drill, and files. Oh, and hardened metal punches.

Jeez... come to think of it, it's not just my collection of multitools that has grown since joining this forum. I have a pretty big collection of hand and power tools for working on MTs now.

What I'd recommend is go on ebay, and look for those SAKs that beg to be saved/rehabbed. Get a couple for cheap(ish), and go for it. Absolute WORST case is you mess up already-messed-up tools. That was my plan, and it seemed to work out. I'd have to check but I think the three donor tools and additional parts cost me maybe $40 total.

You can do it! It's like lego for MT addicts. :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 05:50:59 AM

Honestly, a big thing that pressed me toward doing this was to encourage others to give it a try. I am BY FAR not the most skilled person at this kind of crafting. And I think if I can do it, most anyone with some effort and patience can.

And a dremel... and a hand drill, and files. Oh, and hardened metal punches.

Jeez... come to think of it, it's not just my collection of multitools that has grown since joining this forum. I have a pretty big collection of hand and power tools for working on MTs now.

What I'd recommend is go on ebay, and look for those SAKs that beg to be saved/rehabbed. Get a couple for cheap(ish), and go for it. Absolute WORST case is you mess up already-messed-up tools. That was my plan, and it seemed to work out. I'd have to check but I think the three donor tools and additional parts cost me maybe $40 total.

You can do it! It's like lego for MT addicts. :D

Thank you for that! This has me on the prowl for donor SAKs!

I know exactly what you mean about the tools. I never had much experiece with metal working, but MT repairs and light modding have introduced several tools needed. I only have a $50 drill press from Harbor Freight, but it is leaps and bounds better than using a hand drill. I have a "1 small belt sander for knife work from there as well ($60 I think). I got a small 6 & 1/2" metal cut off saw as well at a yard sale.
Now I need to find out where I can buy a cure for my laziness. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 10:42:47 AM
Awesome work there Lynn... I knew you could do it... The first one is always the hardest... the next ones will be easier... :hatsoff:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 03:52:06 PM
I had both fun and learning interest in this thread.  :D

Good for you Lynn, and thanks for sharing this little modding adventure!!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #68 on: April 11, 2018, 06:17:23 PM
 :like: Really good job! Informative and motivational for all us "wanna-be-modders-who-have-lots-of-ideas-but-never-gets-around-to-realize-them" (or is that just me?)
Posted using my electronic SAK scales

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.
-Make intricate machinery and weapons.
-Aren't concerned with the wars of men.

DWARVES! THE SWISS ARE DWARVES!

se Offline RF52

Reply #69 on: April 11, 2018, 06:51:37 PM
:like: Really good job! Informative and motivational for all us "wanna-be-modders-who-have-lots-of-ideas-but-never-gets-around-to-realize-them" (or is that just me?)
I fall into that category too

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #70 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:52 PM

:rofl:

Awesome, guys. I REALLY do hope this gets you hyped up to give this a try. Like I said, I think I failed in every imaginable way along the way, but it was a great learning experience.

se Offline RF52

Reply #71 on: April 11, 2018, 09:37:14 PM

:rofl:

Awesome, guys. I REALLY do hope this gets you hyped up to give this a try. Like I said, I think I failed in every imaginable way along the way, but it was a great learning experience.
I'm sure it felt good to finish the mod when everything went the opposite of planned Maybe I will try a mod myself one day.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: April 14, 2018, 08:55:36 PM
Thanks all.

I think I managed to find every conceivable way to screw up at every single step, ruining a few liners during disassembly, failing on the initial peening, so wasting precious pin stock, assembling wrong.

:facepalm:

It was absolutely a learning experience.  :rofl:

Not only fort you Lynn! I've added this thread to my favourites as a reference when I'm ready to start my own first mod.

Yours turned out really nice  :like:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #73 on: April 14, 2018, 10:41:01 PM
What are you planning Matt?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #74 on: April 14, 2018, 10:49:59 PM
+1, I want to know too! :pok:

Whatever it is, it should be called the Mini Mattsman.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: April 15, 2018, 01:24:26 AM
Well.... I'd like to replace the corkscrew on my Compact with a Phillips. But getting donor SAKs appears to be a bit difficult as eBay.com restricts SAKs being sold to Ireland  ::)

But I found a source for the brass rods  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: April 15, 2018, 01:25:57 AM
+1, I want to know too! :pok:

Whatever it is, it should be called the Mini Mattsman.  :D

:think:....  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: April 15, 2018, 02:14:29 AM
Great work Lynn :tu: Glad you got it completed and it looks great :cheers: :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: April 15, 2018, 10:36:27 AM
Well.... I'd like to replace the corkscrew on my Compact with a Phillips. But getting donor SAKs appears to be a bit difficult as eBay.com restricts SAKs being sold to Ireland  ::)

I have a spare Philips knocking around.... it’s from my first SAK but I dislike the backside Philips so I don’t think that I’ll be using it.
Gimme a shout if you want it.  ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: April 15, 2018, 10:42:21 AM

I have a spare Philips knocking around.... it’s from my first SAK but I dislike the backside Philips so I don’t think that I’ll be using it.
Gimme a shout if you want it.  ;)
It’s got a little bit of wear on it though, probably from a few of them pozi screws. ::)
I don’t think that it’s near enough to impact its functionality though.

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69