Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Awl is not well...

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Awl is not well...
on: April 10, 2018, 05:28:53 PM
I recently bought an old Elinox-marked Electrician Plus with brass liners.  There's some carry wear on the scales, but the tools and blades look brand new and I don't think anything has ever been sharpened.  As one might expect from an Alox, even one this old, the tools have great "snap."  Except for the awl...

When the main blade is open, the awl will snap closed.  With the main blade closed, however, the awl seems to be hitting it and stopping about 3/4 of the way closed.  I have to push the awl the rest of the way down, and can hear metal-on-metal when I do so.  There is absolutely no play in either the main blade or the awl.  Both lock up tightly.  Anyone else ever run into this problem on an Alox?  I've got a Pioneer X and an old 1979 Soldier, and their awls don't exhibit this behavior.   :ahhh
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Awl is not well...
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
Sorry to say I've only had 3 examples of ALOX knives (of 93mm, 2 pioneers, and a farmer), all were made very recently, and none have this issue.

But i hope someone comes along with useful advice or at least commiserations.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:06 PM
The blades on my Elinox Settler do that, but that knife was treated badly by whoever had the knife originally. The pen blade was mangled (tipped and bent) and the main blade was bent as well. I straightened them the best I could, but I still have the same issue.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:42 PM
Maybe try cleaning and working some oil into the pivot?

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:56:21 PM
Maybe try cleaning and working some oil into the pivot?
I oiled the dickens out of it last night, and cleaned the inside out with some pipe cleaners.  But I haven't given it a bath because I didn't think it needed one.  That will probably be my next step, though.  I'll report back with results...
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:39 PM
I have definitely run into this problem several times. I think there's a bend in the liners or awl most likely. Cleaning oiling for sure, might try rapping can opener or cap lifter in some Thin cloth and sliding it in between the liners to work out any kinks Maybe, of course, be gentle.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:36:33 PM
I have definitely run into this problem several times. I think there's a bend in the liners or awl most likely. Cleaning oiling for sure, might try rapping can opener or cap lifter in some Thin cloth and sliding it in between the liners to work out any kinks Maybe, of course, be gentle.
Sounds like it might be worth comparing the awl on the Electrician to the ones on my other 93mm Alox knives to see if there's a noticeable bend.  I'll also inspect the liners more carefully tonight.  Given how tight the tolerance are on these knives, a slight, barely noticeable tweak to the liner might cause the awl to drag.  Thanks for the input, El C!  I'll check those things tonight.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:37:10 PM
Sounds like it might be worth comparing the awl on the Electrician to the ones on my other 93mm Alox knives to see if there's a noticeable bend.  I'll also inspect the liners more carefully tonight.  Given how tight the tolerance are on these knives, a slight, barely noticeable tweak to the liner might cause the awl to drag.  Thanks for the input, El C!  I'll check those things tonight.

Maybe check the main blade against a known good one too, it could have a slight bend or twist in it. Also if you work the tools laterally while you clean them it helps to dislodge any stuff that might have seeped in the pivot. I saw a video of a Vic employee adjusting tools and liners with a small thin blade, working them loose until they got the desired snap. I have done this with mods to get the tools more evenly spaced instead of all crammed against one side or other. I think they settle in by default but sometimes adjustment speeds up the process. :salute:

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 01:16:58 AM
Thanks to all who have chimed in so far.  Great advice!
 :cheers:

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 05:22:03 AM
I am pleased to report that after a hot, sudsy bath (including some side-to-side wiggling of the awl) and the liberal application of oil, the awl on my Electrician now snaps closed!  Thanks everyone for your input!

It must have just been gunk in the works, because comparing it to my Soldier and my Pioneer X I can't see any noticeable difference in the way the blade and awl are aligned.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 05:40:20 AM
I am pleased to report that after a hot, sudsy bath (including some side-to-side wiggling of the awl) and the liberal application of oil, the awl on my Electrician now snaps closed!  Thanks everyone for your input!

It must have just been gunk in the works, because comparing it to my Soldier and my Pioneer X I can't see any noticeable difference in the way the blade and awl are aligned.
If Crudmium gets down into the pivots it can take a bit of work to get it cleaned out compared to between the springs and liners. Never had what you described, but have had a couple of tools in the past that were much stiffer to open and close than they should have been.

Hot water and liquid dish detergent (the hand wash kind) has worked for me in the past along with a toothbrush to get down between liners . . . followed by a very light oil afterward.

Edit: glad you got it fixed and working properly again!

John
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:53:07 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 07:20:22 AM
 :climber: Awlsome news!!!   :tu: :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 03:30:29 PM
The awl on my Pioneer doesn't have the same snap as the blades, but doesn't exhibit the metal on metal grinding.

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:34:28 PM
The awl on my Pioneer doesn't have the same snap as the blades, but doesn't exhibit the metal on metal grinding.
Upon further examination and experimentation I think the "grinding" I was hearing wasn't the awl rubbing against the blade, but whatever gunk was down inside the pivot.  When I was giving the knife a bath last night I could feel grit as I was working the awl open and closed under water.  At one point it got difficult to move, so I added more soap and went after it with a toothbrush and more wiggling until it loosened up.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 06:36:10 PM
Upon further examination and experimentation I think the "grinding" I was hearing wasn't the awl rubbing against the blade, but whatever gunk was down inside the pivot.  When I was giving the knife a bath last night I could feel grit as I was working the awl open and closed under water.  At one point it got difficult to move, so I added more soap and went after it with a toothbrush and more wiggling until it loosened up.
Hopefully that'll take care of the lazy walk and talk too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%