Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to convert brass rods to screws

Offline Cada91

• New User
How to convert brass rods to screws
on: April 09, 2018, 05:52:34 PM
How to convert brass rods into torx screws or any screw with Swiss army knife. I like the idea of being able to take apart my knife for cleaning and maintenance purposes but I haven't been able to figure this out please help

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How to convert brass rods to screws
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:58:42 PM
Hi Cada, welcome to  :MTO:

Here’s some info:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73215.0.html

Lots of useful information in the Mod Squad threads section too... Their stickied...

:cheers:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:59:58 PM by jaya_man »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:01:23 PM
Easy answer: get someone else to do it. ;)

If you want to DIY, here's a really good recent example of someone who's done what you want: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75772.0.html  Have a good read. :tu:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:17:01 PM
Does anyone on here sell those threaded pivots
As I would love to replace the original pivots :tu: :gimme:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:19:50 PM
Unfortunately, no.  Occasionally someone dangles a carrot but they never seem to materialise.  You either need to make your own, or buy 1/8" stainless pivots from a US knife making shop (alpha knife supplies or USA knife maker, I think).

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:52:51 PM
How to convert brass rods into torx screws or any screw with Swiss army knife. I like the idea of being able to take apart my knife for cleaning and maintenance purposes but I haven't been able to figure this out please help

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

As the two links to thread here have already provided, replacing peened brass pivots with hollow ones that take screws is not a simple or easy process. Requires some precision tools including a drill press and a small lathe. I've had 84mm SAKs apart and put them back together with new brass rod pivots, peening them.

Taking a SAK apart simply for cleaning is not something I'd recommend beyond removing the scales on a Cellidor or nylon - with new scales on hand to replace them if necessary - and that's easily done using a watch knife to remove them and a small padded vise to press them on. The nylon and Cellidor scales cannot be reused more than a couple times at best; having replacement on hand is recommended. Gluing them on is another matter and I don't recommend that with anything that cannot be easily unglued. It can become a nightmare if one must remove the scales again. There are much easier methods for cleaning a SAK than taking it apart, including using mild solvents that wont attack plastics (the magnifiers, lights, etc.), penetrating oils, small toothbrushes and pipe cleaners.

Reassembling a SAK once it's been taken completely apart usually requires a fixture to hold pivots in place as the layers are stacked up. There is some tension on the springs even when completely folded up. On top of that is the wear and tear on pivots. There are much easier ways to clean a SAK than completely disassembling it. Replacing a broken blade is another matter. I'd send it to Victorinox for that. They have a comprehensive lifetime warranty that generally replaces broken and damaged things for free. Not much an issue until you get into vintage and antique models with tools long out of production and then a dialog with them about what to do is appropriate.

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:57:03 PM by jalind »
John

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:57:42 PM
Unfortunately, no.  Occasionally someone dangles a carrot but they never seem to materialise.  You either need to make your own, or buy 1/8" stainless pivots from a US knife making shop (alpha knife supplies or USA knife maker, I think).
Thanks hiraethus  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:37 PM

I looked into the threaded pivots from knife making parts suppliers a while back. Came to the conclusion they were also considerable work as one would have to modify all the holes in all the springs and tools and liners to accommodate them. Found it easier to fabricate new brass rod pivots and peen them instead of modifying all the holes in everything.

Edit: Attaching Cellidor scales on top of threaded pivots is another complexity compared to Alox scales.

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:05:08 PM by jalind »
John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79