Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife laws getting more intense in UK?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Knife laws getting more intense in UK?
Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 11:02:13 PM

His making a name for himself doesn't change the fact that he does have power to change at least the London laws. Here in the USA,  Washington DC completely restricted firearms licensing for decades. Finally, a superior court stated that this ban was unconstitutional, and it has recently been lifted. Though all that means is that people can apply and will probably have to jump through tremendous hoops to get a license.

This London mayor can change things there for decades or forever. Which sucks.

People will use bricks or bare hands anyway. And the criminals never really care what the gun or knife laws are anyway.

He can ONLY influence London councils and their 'by laws' which are basically things like littering. He has no seat in Parliament therefore cannot introduce or vote on national laws.

He is however a colossal waste of space who has done nothing since becoming mayor other than have a go a Trump

Beautifully put.  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:24:44 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 11:50:58 PM

His making a name for himself doesn't change the fact that he does have power to change at least the London laws. Here in the USA,  Washington DC completely restricted firearms licensing for decades. Finally, a superior court stated that this ban was unconstitutional, and it has recently been lifted. Though all that means is that people can apply and will probably have to jump through tremendous hoops to get a license.

This London mayor can change things there for decades or forever. Which sucks.

People will use bricks or bare hands anyway. And the criminals never really care what the gun or knife laws are anyway.

He can ONLY influence London councils and their 'by laws' which are basically things like littering. He has no seat in Parliament therefore cannot introduce or vote on national laws.

He is however a colossal waste of space who has done nothing since becoming mayor other than have a go a Trump

Beautifully put.  :salute:

Hi Smashie,

I think we agree that he cannot make national law, however, he could create a bylaw or some sort of executive order barring knives from use within London itself, am I wrong about that?

We have a state Attorney General (Solicitor in the UK I think), who is supposed to ENFORCE the law. Yet, she just decreed a whole category of rifles illegal. She doesnt have the juice to create law. That's the job of the legislature. Yet, her decree is sticking.

I'm saying, legal or not, London's mayor seems to have been given the juice to do this. It may unravel if challenged in court, but meanwhile, many people may be forced to turn in their personal property if stopped on the street, and what's worse, he seems to be saying that one hasnt a right to knives in one's own home.

I sure don't know much about UK laws or politics, so I will have to defer to other folks here, but I do have an understanding of human nature, politician's nature, and the overreach that often accompanies the two.

I wish you all luck there, though

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #92 on: April 18, 2018, 12:31:13 AM
Hi Thundah,

No he can't do anything to influence criminal law, the roll of the Mayor is largely ceremonial. The last Mayor of London, Boris Johnson (also a buffoon, but a relatively benign one) Introduced better cycle lanes, cheap to rent commuter bikes and better buses. Oh and crime in London was at an all time low. Now London's murder rate has exceeded that of New York. Now not a great example as I bet it's not as high a Chicago or LA. Last time I was in NY I've never felt safer.

There are significant differences between State and Federal laws in the US and what we have here. We have counties not states and they are limited in what they can do, they can't decide tax for instance, that's set by the G'ment. They also absolutely cannot change criminal law in way shape or form.

The problem we have is we don't have written laws or a constitution (and I'm jealous of that), we have the majority of our laws based on legal precedent, so if a judge makes a bad decision, tough, we're stuck with it. Just as happened with locking knives being classed as fixed blades.

I hope this has help to clear things up, if not then I and others will help to clarify. We are looking at a pretty bleak future and ranting (not aimed at anyone in particular) really doesn't help.

To explain, I can write to my MP, or go and talk to him as much as I wan't, but it won't change anything. John Bercow, my MP, is the speaker of the house (of commons). He can't introduce bills (new legislation), he can't vote, unless it's a hung parliament and he can't be voted out because no other party can stand against him. He's actually a nice person to talk to, but he can't do anything, because becoming the speaker means you have to leave the political party you were in.

I hope you can see frustration we have here and I hope others who have different laws will accept that   ours are different and ranting about it really doesn't help anyone.

Peace

Mark
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:53 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this fellas.  I sure hope something down the road will derail this mentality.  I had a few items I wanted to send that way but now I worry they wont make it. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #94 on: April 18, 2018, 01:49:47 AM
And this is exactly why we don't allow political discussions here.  Everyone has something they want to say, but they don't want to upset anyone else, and the end result is that nothing is going to be accomplished anyway.

I think we are all on the same page here, and we need to be careful that we don't offend each others' national pride, not to be confused with the disappointment we all feel with the way society around us seems to be heading.

Frankly I think those of you with kids and grand kids should be very happy that the world is going the way it is, as your kids will be some of the few that have any mechanical ability and the wherewithal to actually solve problems.  In my generation there were a lot of intelligent, forward thinking and ambitious kids out there, and we had a lot to compete with.  So many kids nowadays are completely useless, hamstrung by the bubble wrap placed around them that they would never even think of getting dirty or trying something without a helmet.

If your kid can get dirty and not freak out, you have a kid who has the world by the balls.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #95 on: April 18, 2018, 02:02:20 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this fellas.  I sure hope something down the road will derail this mentality.  I had a few items I wanted to send that way but now I worry they wont make it.

Thanks Aloha, I hope so too but I'm not expecting any great change. I've got quite a few knives and multis that these changes 'could' make illegal for me to have in my own home.

Luckily for me I sold my 2 Ruger 10/22's last year to finance other rifles, as now semi auto or 'rapid fire' firearms are also thrown in with this legislation. For no reason whatsoever as I cannot find any evidence of them being used in any criminal act.

The way this act has been put across means that flippers and OHO knives (which include multis) will be re-classified as automatic or gravity knives. The major change is they will no be legal own at all, even if you don't carry them.

Pure insanity

Peace,

Mark
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #96 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:56 AM
And this is exactly why we don't allow political discussions here.  Everyone has something they want to say, but they don't want to upset anyone else, and the end result is that nothing is going to be accomplished anyway.

I think we are all on the same page here, and we need to be careful that we don't offend each others' national pride, not to be confused with the disappointment we all feel with the way society around us seems to be heading.

Frankly I think those of you with kids and grand kids should be very happy that the world is going the way it is, as your kids will be some of the few that have any mechanical ability and the wherewithal to actually solve problems.  In my generation there were a lot of intelligent, forward thinking and ambitious kids out there, and we had a lot to compete with.  So many kids nowadays are completely useless, hamstrung by the bubble wrap placed around them that they would never even think of getting dirty or trying something without a helmet.

If your kid can get dirty and not freak out, you have a kid who has the world by the balls.

Def

This^^^^^ :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: April 18, 2018, 02:57:33 AM

:rofl:

That's funny.....but, sadly, true..... :-[

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: April 18, 2018, 07:02:56 AM
Hi Thundah,

No he can't do anything to influence criminal law, the roll of the Mayor is largely ceremonial. The last Mayor of London, Boris Johnson (also a buffoon, but a relatively benign one) Introduced better cycle lanes, cheap to rent commuter bikes and better buses. Oh and crime in London was at an all time low. Now London's murder rate has exceeded that of New York. Now not a great example as I bet it's not as high a Chicago or LA. Last time I was in NY I've never felt safer.

There are significant differences between State and Federal laws in the US and what we have here. We have counties not states and they are limited in what they can do, they can't decide tax for instance, that's set by the G'ment. They also absolutely cannot change criminal law in way shape or form.

The problem we have is we don't have written laws or a constitution (and I'm jealous of that), we have the majority of our laws based on legal precedent, so if a judge makes a bad decision, tough, we're stuck with it. Just as happened with locking knives being classed as fixed blades.

I hope this has help to clear things up, if not then I and others will help to clarify. We are looking at a pretty bleak future and ranting (not aimed at anyone in particular) really doesn't help.

To explain, I can write to my MP, or go and talk to him as much as I wan't, but it won't change anything. John Bercow, my MP, is the speaker of the house (of commons). He can't introduce bills (new legislation), he can't vote, unless it's a hung parliament and he can't be voted out because no other party can stand against him. He's actually a nice person to talk to, but he can't do anything, because becoming the speaker means you have to leave the political party you were in.

I hope you can see frustration we have here and I hope others who have different laws will accept that   ours are different and ranting about it really doesn't help anyone.

Peace

Mark

Hi Smashie

Apologies if i was ranting or came off as meaning to hammer at anyones national pride. I reaaly meant to commisserate and relate. Thanks for the summation of the situation and general overview of the law and process there. That does help to bring things into better focus.

I feel what's happening is wrong. It's the same mentality here about firearms. That's one thing, but I'd hate to see it rise to the same level here for blades as it just has there.

As Grant said, stay dirty, my friends, and teach your kid's what you know. As Aloha said, I hope things ease up over there. Best of luck with the crime wave. Lord knows all our cities you named are in as rough a spot. Good luck with the political correctness as well.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #99 on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:08 AM
There is always a mild form of Stockholm Syndrome where normal people will justify this to themselves and buy into the false thinking.
So sad.
I rest my case.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:26 AM
I rest my case.
and we need to be careful that we don't offend each others' national pride,

My country sucks, politicians have already sold the future of many generations.

Shark's country is even worse.......and more dangerous......for the same reason.

My mind boggles at what's happening in the "civilized world" ......and I'm not just talking about knife laws.

Never mind avoiding political discussions.......
 :assimilate: 
We need an IA overlord and his first order needs to be string up the politicians..... >:D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: April 18, 2018, 08:40:34 AM
There is always a mild form of Stockholm Syndrome where normal people will justify this to themselves and buy into the false thinking.
So sad.
I rest my case.

Agreed Shark_za. We call them "sheeple" here.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: April 18, 2018, 08:44:14 AM
I rest my case.
and we need to be careful that we don't offend each others' national pride,

My country sucks, politicians have already sold the future of many generations.

Shark's country is even worse.......and more dangerous......for the same reason.

My mind boggles at what's happening in the "civilized world" ......and I'm not just talking about knife laws.

Never mind avoiding political discussions.......
 :assimilate: 
We need an IA overlord and his first order needs to be string up the politicians..... >:D

I fear the AI overlord would see us as superfluous and unnecessary.  Then...y-yikes

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #103 on: April 18, 2018, 09:36:45 AM
So sad.
I rest my case.

Agreed Shark_za. We call them "sheeple" here.

You might call them sheeple there, but I don't think we should call them sheeple on MTO.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: April 18, 2018, 10:48:47 AM
If I was a sheep I'd be in great danger of eating my own ribs. Or stuffing my own shoulder and eating that.  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: April 19, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
Even this Monk Seal against the mayor of London's proposed knife ban. Then again,  he's underage...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/04/17/breaking-news/video-monk-seal-pup-spotted-playing-with-knife/

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #107 on: May 05, 2018, 01:22:48 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #108 on: May 06, 2018, 04:24:26 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: May 06, 2018, 04:32:35 PM
 :rofl:  that’s just  :facepalm:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: May 06, 2018, 04:40:26 PM
Oh smurf. :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #111 on: May 06, 2018, 06:29:25 PM
related:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/04/trump-nra-london-hospital-knives
Bear in mind this is Donald Trump saying this.  Donald Trump. Really not worth listening to.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: May 07, 2018, 05:59:19 AM
:rofl:  that’s just  :facepalm:

It is really coming to this  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #113 on: May 07, 2018, 08:24:03 AM
The picture Nix posted is from an Australian, not UK, shop. And what magentus said, plus Trump was probably referring to an article from the Daily Mail - a paper (in)famously full of lies and hate.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: May 07, 2018, 09:36:25 AM
The picture Nix posted is from an Australian, not UK, shop. And what magentus said, plus Trump was probably referring to an article from the Daily Mail - a paper (in)famously full of lies and hate.
Are you saying that the UK doesn’t use dollars?  ??? :o

:D

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #115 on: May 07, 2018, 09:37:24 AM

No tell me that's not true about the daily fail  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #116 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:58 AM

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #118 on: May 07, 2018, 12:06:24 PM
Non story.

The man was on bail for another unspecified offence at the time of his arrest.

defence solicitor Selina McKay who said her client “suffers from significant learning difficulties which have been lifelong”.

The papers are determined to make a fuss about this.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #119 on: May 07, 2018, 12:29:41 PM
Non story.

The man was on bail for another unspecified offence at the time of his arrest.

defence solicitor Selina McKay who said her client “suffers from significant learning difficulties which have been lifelong”.

The papers are determined to make a fuss about this.

Unfortunately you know that and I know that, but the majority don't  ???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD