Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool black coating - BO or BS?

ph Offline 3Stars@1Sun

SwissTool black coating - BO or BS?
on: February 20, 2023, 03:26:47 PM
Good day!

For this topic, I wish to focus purely on the black "coating" of the SwissTool. I have spent most of today trying to find information if there are different black "coating" versions. I did not bother to check other forums because even sakwiki page has an entry stating that it is not confirmed.

So my question is, are BO = black oxide and BS = burnished steel two different versions of the black ST?

You see I have 2 black Swisstools on hand with both having the exact same tool configuration and the 05 plier head w/o cap crimper. One is a Standard model with a nylon sheath and the other is a Standard Plus variant with a leather sheath. BUT each one has a DIFFERENT black coating.

The one on the right (3.0333.3L; despite the "X" on the item code sticker the tool itself does not have scissors) has a matte, slightly rougher finish that does not reflect light. While the one on the left (3.0323.3N) has a smooth lustered finish that has some "oil slick" coloration. The former I do not see a lot of mention but the latter one is what corresponds to most of the descriptions of the black ST.

Here is a slightly closer look:

Notice the difference in how the light is reflected off the handle here:

Here I switched their places but used the same angle for the photo:

Notice how the matte finish significantly reduces the reflection of the light.

Now, the other difference between the two is the blade tang markings which correspond to the user's guide date that comes with the tool. These also align with the SAK tang dating info.

The one on the right with a matte finish:

Victorinox
Switzerland
Stainless
This came with a user's guide with 2008 as the year of printing.

The one on the left with a smooth, reflective finish:

Victorinox
Swiss Made
Stainless
This came with a user's guide with 2011 as the year of printing.

There are differences in the user's guide also with the image of the ST displayed being changed (aka photoshop edit?) but still has the pre-2002 right-hand plier head.

Both user guides indicate that these were US market versions.

So does this confirm that BO and BS are two different "coatings"??

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:39:09 PM by 3Stars@1Sun »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: SwissTool black coating - BO or BS?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 05:44:24 PM
So does this confirm that BO and BS are two different "coatings"??

It does not, IMO.

For one thing, looking at the current Swisstool BS on the Vic USA website, they are using the BS designation but the description repeatedly refers to “black oxide”.

For another, are you sure both of these tools are NIB? I might be tempted to think that the finish on the lighter/shinier one was simply a more worn/used version of the finish on the darker one.

ph Offline 3Stars@1Sun

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 07:41:52 AM
For another, are you sure both of these tools are NIB? I might be tempted to think that the finish on the lighter/shinier one was simply a more worn/used version of the finish on the darker one.

Thank you for mentioning this and yes, it did cross my mind. But I considered a few points as follows:

1) There are no wear marks on the plier's teeth or blades

2) The serrated blades have the same difference even down to the grooves being uniformly shinier on the left tool.

3)  The shine/luster is pretty even and uniform on the handles including the back edges of the tools. I would expect that a worn finish would have signs of more wear on certain spots.

4) I have handled the darker one several dozen times bare handed and there is no residue transferring or rubbing off. The only way I can get this shiny is to deliberately apply oil all over or vigorously rub it down to buff but even that may not have the same effect as seen with the shiny and smooth one on the left.

5) Lastly, please allow me to go back to the sakwiki entry that states "...a deep luster and smoother surface" and has some doubt that BO and BS are different models.

Just for the heck of it, I included my LM Surge BO here:

The matte finish of the one on the right certainty is almost identical to the LM especially if you are physically holding these tools and able to feel them. Notice the small white scratches on the handles of the LM and the right ST that are like nail marks on very fine grit sandpaper.

I want to be clear that I am not pushing that BO and BS are separate models. I am just hoping for additional info from fellow enthusiasts who have more experience than I with the black ST. Or even perhaps some certainty via confirmation from Victorinox themselves just like with the ST plier head design back in 2007. After all, as  confirmed in that original topic, we are being watched  :D

Whatever the case may be, I hope this topic may lead us to some answers  ;)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 03:18:56 PM
Interesting.  Perhaps someone else will have more info…

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 06:40:41 AM
Looks to me like two gen of "blackened" tools, with the technology changing over the years
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD