Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Well.... smurf

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Well.... smurf
on: April 16, 2018, 04:56:14 PM
Speaking of kayaks.....

I brought my kayaks back to Ottawa over the Easter break from where they were stored at my parents' place and they have been sitting in my parking spot ever since as the weather seems to be getting worse and worse.  For example, we have been getting freezing rain for the past 24 hours or so, and my boats are not happy about it.

WARNING- GRAPHIC, DEPRESSING PHOTOS PAST THIS POINT

I guess that's just life in Canada....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Well.... smurf
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:15 PM
WOW.  I have never seen in person such a sight.  Such a harsh climate.  Jeez, how much maintenance is required to keep things in top working order. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:10:10 PM
Ya great weather eh!?  We've had the same ice storm here in the south of ontario.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:49 PM
Finally shaking the snow and ice off here.

I swear, I'm not making this up, I saw some grass starting to grow while I was out for a walk yesterday.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:24:55 PM
I saw some grass yesterday, but that was a result of an argument involving the placement of my pet excavator. Digging down to grass proved I was right. (It happens - now I worry about the rest of the year since I've already been right once).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:36:27 PM
Poor boats.  :(
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 05:43:17 PM
We just got  over 18 inches of snow.  :-\
20180415_103607.jpg
* 20180415_103607.jpg (Filesize: 284 KB)
20180416_103551_001.jpg
* 20180416_103551_001.jpg (Filesize: 190.75 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:46:28 PM
damn, now that is frozen solid
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 06:09:15 PM
HOLY SMURF :o.  I cant even begin to imagine walking out to that.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:55:37 PM
Nice pictures, Grant. Here in New England, we don't get it as bad as you do, but we get it bad enough. My Kayaks are outside under the deck stairs, and we are getting near freezing rain.

Sonewhere, I have a picture of my kayaks on top of my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a dusting of snow on top of it all.

Y-yikes

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:18 PM

You walk VERY carefully.... everything is covered with a quarter inch of ice.

Here's the ice on the top of my Jeep!

Def
Ice.jpg
* Ice.jpg (Filesize: 60.29 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:04 PM
Here it is, from November a couple years ago.

2018-04-16 12.58.10.jpg
* 2018-04-16 12.58.10.jpg (Filesize: 254.11 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:13 PM

You walk VERY carefully.... everything is covered with a quarter inch of ice.

Here's the ice on the top of my Jeep!

Def

You've got me beat with this for sure

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 07:07:01 PM
How come MTO doesn't have a kayak section?

I've got a couple of old kayaks. An orange Wilderness Systems Pamlico 10 footer, and an Islander Swifty (now by perception in the US, though i think Islander still exists in Ireland or the UK) 9 and a half footer, yellow red and orange mix.

After some years of use and hard use, I've had to repair one with dual component epoxy and the other by cutting strips of an old Frisbee and melting it in place with an old heat gun.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 07:36:45 PM
iiiice~!

some vodka, a splash of lemon and

Whaa Laa!

:drool:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 07:47:03 PM
 :D  I'm picturing Grant walking around singing this...

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 07:53:19 PM
22 degrees celcius.

Sunglasses on 8)

Sorry. Couldn't resist...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:10 PM

I've got a couple of old kayaks. An orange Wilderness Systems Pamlico 10 footer, and an Islander Swifty (now by perception in the US, though i think Islander still exists in Ireland or the UK) 9 and a half footer, yellow red and orange mix.

After some years of use and hard use, I've had to repair one with dual component epoxy and the other by cutting strips of an old Frisbee and melting it in place with an old heat gun.

Because there are only a few of us that are paddlers.  How come you never talk about kayaking or share photos of your trips?   :pok:

Mine are a thirteen foot Point 65 XO13 with skeg and rudder and Big Pink is a 17 foot fiberglass Northwest Kayaks Synergy ocean kayak.  I also have a ten foot Pelican Summit 100, but it is still in my garage in Halifax.

Def

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 10:50:20 PM

Because there are only a few of us that are paddlers.  How come you never talk about kayaking or share photos of your trips?   :pok:

Mine are a thirteen foot Point 65 XO13 with skeg and rudder and Big Pink is a 17 foot fiberglass Northwest Kayaks Synergy ocean kayak.  I also have a ten foot Pelican Summit 100, but it is still in my garage in Halifax.

Def

Nice stuff Grant. No skegs or rudders on mine. Just simple.

Too bad, I thought there were more of us.

My trips are pretty tame. I used to live on a lake, so I kayaked or fished almost every day. Sometimes my entire excursion would be along the lakeshore or riverbank cutting free Rapalas or some Joe's Flies that got caught up in waterside tree branches.

During the summer, the kayaks remain on top of that Jeep or my Big Blazer, so I can make the most of any opportunity that presents itself.

I sometimes travel up and down the Ipswich River, and of course, take the kayaks camping without fail. Especially if my buddy and all the kids are going. Then they get use sun up to sundown.

Lately I've started taking Scout the ThundahBeage kayaking with me. I got him a Kurgo Tru-Fit harness and clip him to the kayak so I can easily retrieve him. He likes to stand on the bow like Washington crossing the Delaware in the famed painting. Then he jumps in, swims around, and climbs back in and repeats.

By the way, look up the Kurgo Tru-Fit harness. There are no plastic clips. The hardware is all metal, nesting, just like rock climbers or old linesmens harnesses. And crash tested. I thinks it is the best dog harness on the market. I use it for Scout when driving, kayaking, and hiking. Good stuff.

I've no Go Pro or anything like that so I don't often get pics. Especially now when also handling the Beagle. Maybe I'll pick one up

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 11:31:59 PM
Since I can't put a roof rack on the Jeep, mine live on a trailer when not in use.

I pretty well go anywhere in my kayak- lakes, rivers, ocean.... hell, I'd paddle in the local swimming pool if they'd let me.   :ahhh

Here's a video I shot of me shooting rapids in my 13 foot boat before Megan decided it was her boat.  I have also shot these rapids in my 17 foot ocean boat.

Hopefully my GoPros will get more use this year.  :D

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 12:43:24 AM
I luv rapids!! I've done em in a canoe on the WI river (they said it was a class 3 rapid) it was fun.

Cool Video Grant! :cheers: (you suppose to get stuck on that log? :pok::D

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:02 AM
Nice weather here in Southeast Texas.  I would feel guilty, but I have no conscience....
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:08 AM
It was amazing out today here in SoCal.  Truthfully tho its always really nice out here.  Nothing but blue skies and a nice breeze. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 01:41:04 AM
I luv rapids!! I've done em in a canoe on the WI river (they said it was a class 3 rapid) it was fun.

Cool Video Grant! :cheers: (you suppose to get stuck on that log? :pok::D

It was actually an old dock that had washed up on the rocks at the bottom, and yes, much better to land on it than the much harder rocks!

Man that was a fun run. I had another camera pointed back at me that trip as well, and it's hilarious to see the looks on my face for the five minutes I sat at the top of those trying to convince myself to actually do it!  :D

The concern wasn't that i would get hurt, the concern was that there was no one else around to call 911 and/or pull me out if i got hurt bad....  :facepalm:

In the end I decided that living forever just sounds inconvenient so I went for it....

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 04:03:31 AM
wow! nothing like the sound and feel of rushing water...  :dd:

an experience you'll have forever... and recorded!  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 01:31:53 PM
I keep looking for a decent deal on a whitewater boat as I love shooting rapids.  It is like riding a rollercoaster, but without having to put up with long lines and other people's vomit.   :ahhh

Oh yeah, and there's no safety protocols, which really ruin things like roller coasters for me.  No danger = no fun.  You can totally get killed or seriously maimed doing this, which is why it is really cool!   >:D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%