Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

IF YOU COULD CARRY ONLY ONE FOR LIFE

VICMAN · 159 · 9442

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: IF YOU COULD CARRY ONLY ONE FOR LIFE
Reply #120 on: April 26, 2022, 02:57:02 PM
This is a tough one, well, I no longer carry multitools since I stopped working, I also haven’t carried a simple knife either, so it kinda leaves it between two,, my custom sak or the FarmerX, I’ve carried the FarmerX since last Xmas, it’s been the only one, I like the size, it’s got my tools it’s just plain nice, I mean my custom your getting the file and Philips, over the FarmerX, other then that that’s it, so it’s a tough call, either way it’s going to with in one of these sheaths,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 26, 2022, 03:03:08 PM
This is a tough one, well, I no longer carry multitools since I stopped working, I also haven’t carried a simple knife either, so it kinda leaves it between two,, my custom sak or the FarmerX, I’ve carried the FarmerX since last Xmas, it’s been the only one, I like the size, it’s got my tools it’s just plain nice, I mean my custom your getting the file and Philips, over the FarmerX, other then that that’s it, so it’s a tough call, either way it’s going to with in one of these sheaths,,
JR

That custom is amazing  :drool: :like:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: April 26, 2022, 03:23:02 PM
Thanks, I just did a custom yesterday, and this one would totally fit, but it’s not alox but it’s 91, it took a compact and switched out the corkscrew with a Philips and added a saw,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #123 on: April 26, 2022, 06:33:01 PM
 :like: Another masterpiece  :tu:

I wish I had the skill/patience to do something similar  :tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: May 06, 2022, 06:16:05 PM
I love these games. IDK why, but I love think of hypothetical situations that I'll never do  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

So for the last question are you including the "modern traditional" folders as well?  :think: I've been more interested in this category lately.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: May 06, 2022, 06:21:46 PM
:like: Another masterpiece  :tu:

I wish I had the skill/patience to do something similar  :tu:
Thanks, you definitely need patience! Cause you’ll get one part together with the next, then the next but then the first one will pop, so you have to get that one back together and pop the last one you did popped, err, breath, it’s nuts!
JR

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #126 on: January 11, 2023, 07:30:27 AM
I love these types of questions. I don't know why but I am always excited to theorize on things like this

Is it too late to jump in?

1.  If you could carry only one knife-based multitool which would it be?

I went back and forth on this. And eventually settled on the Executive. It's one of the best Victorinox out there. My runner up in this category would be the Rambler. I believe Victorinox makes the best knife based multi tools on the market.

2. If you could carry only one plier-based multitool which would it be?

It Leatherman Charge. Without a doubt my most carried multi tool and most dependable. If I want to carry a full size tool I always go for this first. Leatherman IMO just dominates in this area.

3. If you could carry only one lock blade knife which would it be?

Spyderco Para 3 LW
I ignored this knife for years. But after much consideration I wanted to see what the hype was all about...and WOW I get it now. An amazing knife! By far my favorite Spyderco to date. It is a "full size knife" but it's so lightweight that it carries great in jeans, shorts, joggers, etc... It's really my go to edc knife now.

4. If you could carry only one traditional folder which one would it be?

The Lionsteel Jack 3.
I have been dreaming of a modern traditional folding knife with a few extra capabilities, but was a bit more dressy than a SAK. This knife was made for me. It's perfect as a gentlemen's knife, but also has a bottle opener and corkscrew but retains the traditional knife feel. Love the portions and the fit and finish is superb.

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #127 on: January 14, 2023, 05:02:51 PM
1.Swiss champ XLT
2. Spirit
3. Bug out
4. Case Trapper wharncliffe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #128 on: January 14, 2023, 05:37:31 PM
Original post.

In each case it would be the only tool on your person for the rest of your life.

1.  If you could carry only one knife-based multitool which would it be?  Explorer Plus

2. If you could carry only one plier-based multitool which would it be?  Charge TTi

3. If you could carry only one lock blade knife which would it be? Syderco DragonFly 2. 

4. If you could carry only one traditional folder which one would it be?  I don't have a lot of trads.  I have a CRKT Toothpick thats really neat.

Revisited post,   

1. I think the answer would be same however I have a very strong feeling the Champion is so close these days.  Lots of functions and really not that much bigger IMO. 

2. My answer is the same but the Surge is so darn close it is worth mentioning.   

3. I would change my answer since I now have a Benchmade 555.  While the Dragonfly is a superb knife the BM offers just a little more blade and is so darn fun to open and close. 

4. Here where things get very interesting.  I now have many trads to choose from so it makes this answer very hard.  Easy answer is my Psalm 23 trapper since it is meaningful to me.  Of course that said, I really like my Pemberton.

Newest thoughts  :facepalm:.

1.  Wenger Security 14.  I am currently trying a Compact ( thank you Barry ) so who knows I may be back. 

2.  Surge.  What can I say  :dunno:.

3. Bradley Alias 2 hands down. 

4. Tony Bose Premium Stockman.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #129 on: January 15, 2023, 01:47:35 AM
1.  If you could carry only one knife-based multitool which would it be?  Explorer Plus; for me it is the right version of size vs. utility.  And it has more or less the right combo of tools for me, including scissors, inline 3D phillips, blade, magnifier, etc.

2. If you could carry only one plier-based multitool which would it be?  Swisstool Spirit; again, for me has the most usable tools in the smallest form factor; and the design and engineering surpass that of any other maker IMO.

3. If you could carry only one lock blade knife which would it be? Maybe a Spyderco Endura with a serrated edge.  In the past few years I have gravitated toward serrations because they eat whatever you feed them.

4. If you could carry only one traditional folder which one would it be?  I have a big drawer full of traditional, but haven't carried one in a long time because the utility of a SAK in the same size and weight is so yummy.  But I do understand that good vibes that a nice traditional can give you.  I might carry a Case Peanut or a Canoe were I to rock a traditional.

Swisstool Spirit.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #130 on: January 15, 2023, 03:56:25 AM
1.  Victorinox Rangergrip 78

2.  Leatherman Signal,  just barely beating out my beloved Crunch. 

3.  Benchmade 940-2

4.  With the exception of Swiss Army Knives or British Army Knives, I haven't carried a non locking knife on me since I was about 7 or 8 years old.  I haven't even really done any looking at knives that don't lock in ages so I don't really have an answer for this last one.   :dunno:

* if only one.jpg (Filesize: 63.36 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #131 on: January 15, 2023, 11:00:59 PM
Gonna break this down a bit.

First the knife based MT. Not so much a Farmer or Electrician decision for me but due to my sophisticated nature it has to be some form of Old Cross Alox.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #132 on: January 16, 2023, 05:50:26 AM
1.Swiss champ XLT
2. Spirit
3. Bug out
4. Case Trapper wharncliffe

Swiss champ XLT - my thinking on this one, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Spirit - self explanatory

Bug out - lite weight

Trapper - just like a wharncliffe.

CHEERS

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #133 on: January 16, 2023, 07:42:13 PM
Part two. For me when it comes to plier based tool it is all about the Spirit. Has all I really need and is just so dang well made.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #134 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:18 AM
Number three is a subject near and dear to my heart. Locking blade knives are what brought me here in the first place.

When it comes to knives for me there is just one. The Spyderco Military. Many others I love but this will always be my true companion.

Either the standard S30V model that has stood by my side in many far away lands.

This very old 440V serrated model I added black camo scales to.

My first real super steel version. Cruwear with some linen micarta. Such an incredible slicer.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #135 on: January 18, 2023, 09:43:07 PM
Traditional knife is an easy one. Only own one you see.

Buck 110.

Bonus points if you can ID the vehicle it is sitting on.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #136 on: January 19, 2023, 06:38:32 AM
Traditional knife is an easy one. Only own one you see.

Buck 110.

(Image removed from quote.)

Bonus points if you can ID the vehicle it is sitting on.
Is the front grill of a Mack truck?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #137 on: January 19, 2023, 03:32:14 PM
Is the front grill of a Mack truck?

Winner winner.

Yep an old 710 we have sitting at the back of the yard.

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #138 on: January 20, 2023, 06:48:36 AM
Winner winner.

Yep an old 710 we have sitting at the back of the yard.
What do I get? An envelope of rust off of its frame?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #139 on: January 20, 2023, 09:00:36 AM
What do I get? An envelope of rust off of its frame?

Come to Michigan and I’ll buy you a cup of trucker fuel. Aka coffee.

es Offline zdec68

Reply #140 on: January 21, 2023, 01:10:51 AM
1:
Some Vic in the style of the Hunstman, or the Farmer X. With scissors, and saw. Not much bigger so that it is not uncomfortable to wear, although I have worn the Handyman daily for a long time.
My vote for Farmer X, also as I released it recently is my usual these days

2:
I've been wearing the Juice S2 for a long time. It was my first Leatherman, and frankly I've used it a lot, and it's enormously pocket-friendly. But if it is the only tool I think it would be short. I have also used the Rebar a lot and I love it, but I think I would go for its older sister, the Supertool 300, I think it has a better construction than the Rebar and is bigger. More uncomfortable to wear, but if I'm only going to have one better play it safe. I'm afraid I'm pretty old school on the subject of multi-tools.

3-4:
Some classic model of the typical ones in my country. If they served my father and grandparents for decades, they will also serve me. I give you two example models, a Celaya pastora, and a Fernandez machete

Celaya_6 by zdec, en Flickr

Celaya_4 by zdec, en Flickr

Fernandez_05 by zdec, en Flickr

Fernandez_01 by zdec, en Flickr

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #141 on: January 22, 2023, 12:36:47 AM
1:
Some Vic in the style of the Hunstman, or the Farmer X. With scissors, and saw. Not much bigger so that it is not uncomfortable to wear, although I have worn the Handyman daily for a long time.
My vote for Farmer X, also as I released it recently is my usual these days

2:
I've been wearing the Juice S2 for a long time. It was my first Leatherman, and frankly I've used it a lot, and it's enormously pocket-friendly. But if it is the only tool I think it would be short. I have also used the Rebar a lot and I love it, but I think I would go for its older sister, the Supertool 300, I think it has a better construction than the Rebar and is bigger. More uncomfortable to wear, but if I'm only going to have one better play it safe. I'm afraid I'm pretty old school on the subject of multi-tools.

3-4:
Some classic model of the typical ones in my country. If they served my father and grandparents for decades, they will also serve me. I give you two example models, a Celaya pastora, and a Fernandez machete

Celaya_6 by zdec, en Flickr

Celaya_4 by zdec, en Flickr

Fernandez_05 by zdec, en Flickr

Fernandez_01 by zdec, en Flickr

Them last two knives are beautiful. What’s the story there?

es Offline zdec68

Reply #142 on: January 22, 2023, 10:44:27 PM
Them last two knives are beautiful. What’s the story there?

They are typical knives from an area of Spain, Albacete. The first was the typical knife of the shepherds of the area. It is made of carbon steel and oak wood, the bull horn was also very typical. It has about 8 cm of blade. It was his main tool, along with the dog, the stick and the haversack for food, to spend long days in the mountains with the cattle.
The other is a different type from the same area, this is an update, it has snake wood on the handle and stainless steel on the blade.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #143 on: January 23, 2023, 04:02:04 AM
Nothing better than knives with history.  Gorgeous. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #144 on: January 24, 2023, 01:48:27 AM
1. Victorinox Huntsman
2. Swisstool
3 and 4. Opinel n. 8 based on what I have. If not... Maybe RAT 1 and Buck 110 or some Congress knife.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #145 on: January 24, 2023, 12:16:46 PM
1. Victorinox Huntsman
2. Swisstool
3 and 4. Opinel n. 8 based on what I have. If not... Maybe RAT 1 and Buck 110 or some Congress knife.

I love everything about this.

us Offline Adam5

Reply #146 on: June 22, 2023, 02:32:59 PM
OC Farmer

Supertool

my work knife

Queen electrician's knife

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #147 on: June 22, 2023, 02:36:55 PM
Leatherman K2

Leatherman Charge+

Currently, Demko AD20.5

Case CV stockman

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #148 on: June 22, 2023, 03:13:30 PM
Knife-based: Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. I would also be happy with a CyberTool L or M, or a Farmer X.
Plier-based: LM Rebar.
Lock-blade: Victorinox folding paring knife.
Trad folder: Opinel #8

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #149 on: June 22, 2023, 06:47:41 PM
1.  If you could carry only one knife-based multitool which would it be?  Victorinox Farmer (OC w/brass liners preferred

2. If you could carry only one plier-based multitool which would it be? Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X

3. If you could carry only one lock blade knife which would it be? Ontario Rat Model 2 AUS-8

4. If you could carry only one traditional folder which one would it be? Stockman w/punch

- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD