Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Non Tactical/Tactical (NT/T) Entity series Small Sheath

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Since I got the package from Maxpedition last month I have been using the heck out of the stuff to see if it’s just pretty, or whether it is worthy of the Maxpedition name.  After putting a few miles on the stuff I thought it was a bout time I talked about the sheath specifically.

https://www.maxpedition.com/collections/entity-series/products/entity-utility-pouch-small

I wasn’t sure what size sheath to get when I ordered them from Maxpedition, so I asked them to determine what size would be best to fit a Leatherman Surge.  It’s good that I did because I was thinking about getting the large one because I figured the big Surge would need it.

The fine folks at Maxpedition did a great job of choosing, because it fits the Surge perfectly, but I’ll get into that in a minute.

First up I want to talk about the features of the sheath itself, because frankly there’s a lot to talk about on it.  First off, it is the nice mottled great exterior that we see with the rest of the Entity series, which by the way I have been seeing all over this year.  It seems this mottled grey is the in color this year as I have noticed many designer jackets and backpacks with it, so good on Maxpedition for being very stylish!  While that may not seem important, remember, the Entity series is meant to blend in, and who would expect a tactical bag to be so pretty?

The other neat thing is that the Entity small sheath also includes one of the TacTie PJC3 Polymer Joining Clips.

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/tactie-pjc3-polymer-joining-clip-pack-of-6

That sounds fancy and it actually kind of is.  It’s essentially like a regular MOLLE connection strap that is made from plastic instead of nylon webbing and Velcro, only this one also features a lock type slot to make sure it doesn’t go bye bye when you least expect it.  Yeah, it’s a bit more cumbersome to hook up but once you do you know for sure this thing is never going to let go.  You weave the strap in like any other MOLLE strap, then run it through the slot at the bottom, then when it comes out you clip it over a little knob to make sure it can’t slip back through.  This is maybe not something you are going to want to do every day, but you can be sure that it won’t let go accidentally.

It reminds me a lot of the Tactical Tailor MALICE Clip I got with the Benchmade River Knife that I have had clipped to my PFD for years.  It’s a similar concept but I think I prefer the Maxpedition version as it has two retention devices (two different tabs) versus the single one on the Tactical Tailor version.

Also, the Tactical Tailor version requires either a strong thumbnail (which I don’t have) or a knife blade or other tool to lift the tab to release the strap, while the TacTie can be released by hand.  I will say that the Tactical Tailor version is easier to release (if you have something to release it with) and so may be better suited to sheaths that are going to be swapped around a lot.

One tab engaged:

Both tabs engaged:

Of course, the nice thing is that if you decide that you don't like it then it is easily removed, and you can replace it with a different MOLLE strap or just run a belt through it for horizontal carry.

I actually think that the Maxpedition TacTie is so secure that I think I am going to swap it out with the Tactical Tailor one on the Benchmade River Knife so that I can be assured that my knife will be attached to my PFD no matter what.  You really don't want to lose your knife when battling giant ass waves.   :ahhh

Back to the main shell of the sheath also seems to be slightly padded, which is also nice, and the Velcro closure is also very secure- you won’t lose the sheath and you won’t lose what’s in the sheath either!

Now getting on to the reason why I wanted to get it to carry a Surge- I love carrying the Million Post BO Surge, but I am always concerned about losing it, which is a valid concern. 

You see, it came with a China made Leatherman MOLLE sheath, which is actually quite terrible.  Leatherman made two versions of this sheath, one in the US and one in China and the Chinese made one is ultra floppy and ill fitting.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70659.0.html

As you can imagine, losing the One Million Posts Surge would be absolutely horrible, as it is completely irreplaceable.  So, another carry method was important, and I had been looking at regular Maxpedition sheaths- I have had them before and they are absolutely top notch.

Before I managed to pull the trigger though the Entity series came out and I decided to give it a try instead, and I am glad I did.  The small sheath fits the Surge like it was designed for it, which I have to say (sorry Leatherman) seems like a lot more than the real factory issue sheath was. :facepalm:

All in all I am very pleased with the Maxpedition Entity Series Small Sheath- it does exactly what I wanted it to do, and it looks good doing it.  What more do you want in a sheath?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
I like it! Thanks for the review Boss.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I like it! Thanks for the review Boss.

No problem.  It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
What can you fit in/on the sheath? Same 'pockets' as the LM Molle?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
It is just a singular, central pocket, although you could probably tuck a flashlight or bit set in the elastic on the sides.  Because it is elastic, you can stretch it a bit and probably fit quite a bit more inside the main pocket as well.

Def

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Boss, can it fit the Vic Spirit too? I mean, it is smaller than the Surge... or will it woble?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
The Spirit will probably be loose in this sheath.  They could have made another aize smaller IMHO for atandard sized multitools.  I'll bet this ine would hold a SwissTool nicely though.

Ill check it in the morning.   :D

Def

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Thank you for the review, Grant!
Looks very well made. I've been looking for a high quality horizontal capable sheat. Issue I've had with most is the strapping for horizontal carry is poorly made and not well thought out. The maxpedition triple straps and tight weave seem like a great option. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I've heard of people having issues with Maxpedition in the past, but I have to say that I have been carrying and using their products for years and I have had nothing but good experiences.  I've never had one fail, I've never had one tear or even wear out.  My Tactical Operator laptop bag has been used hard for almost ten years now and, with the exception of the yellowed window bit on the front, could almost pass for brand new.

I expect nothing less from Maxpedition, and the Entity series seems like it is going to deliver that.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I've heard of people having issues with Maxpedition in the past, but I have to say that I have been carrying and using their products for years and I have had nothing but good experiences.  I've never had one fail, I've never had one tear or even wear out.  My Tactical Operator laptop bag has been used hard for almost ten years now and, with the exception of the yellowed window bit on the front, could almost pass for brand new.

I expect nothing less from Maxpedition, and the Entity series seems like it is going to deliver that.

Def

Good review, short and to the point, this seems like an excellent sheath  :). I really like sheaths and pouches that you can add to/take off the belt without having to pull all the belt out  ::), so I tend to favor those that have clips, button/velcro bands or similar to extract and add on your belt as-is.  :tu:

The stitching also looks sturdy and good, like most Maxpedition products. I've had a few of them and have been satisfied so far, they are indeed heavier due to the tougher nylon and stitching but they are built to last  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%