Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Access to Power -SOG 30-day Challenge! Starting June 1st! Access & Access Deluxe

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I have the same problem with bottles
Most of them now have screw tops
And not the old cap lifter anymore  :ahhh :ahhh
fail to prepare prepare to fail

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Back to the short saw... I've found a spare ST300 saw in my parts bin which is making me think... :think:

Edit: and the file, too. The ST300's file is both longer and better than the one on the PAD. Hmmm...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:45:30 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Back to the short saw... I've found a spare ST300 saw in my parts bin which is making me think... :think:

That looks a lot more usable D_T :like: :like:
Have you got a spare file as well
As that could make the PAD more useful  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Early pros and cons for me, subject to change:

Pros

- compound leverage pivot is one of the best features on any MT; I knew that a long time ago
- outside opening tools for quick deployment
- real 3D phillips with adequate reach
- it has a saw
- 1/4" driver
- hard wire cutter ate a 10d nail with no problem

Cons

- overall cheap feel
- flimsy main blade; a longer saw could have been used
- tools can accidentally deploy past 180 degrees; no big deal, but not a sign of tight engineering and quality
- file appears to be almost non-functional, but more data is required.  Did SOG think we wouldn't notice?
- jewelry driver, can open and cap lifter are unnecessary; space could have been used for scissors
-  phillips shank is offset which limits reach in countersunk holes

Current Powernoodle Dynamic Assessment Rating ("CPDAR"):  5/10

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Cap lifter lifts caps. Had to apply it a second time though, the first time the hook slipped out from under the cap. Operator error can be excluded, it's only my first :D

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
That’s a shame TP :ahhh :ahhh
Have you got a pic of the braided wire you cut  :tu:

well, actually yes I have.  :D After all the drama to cut that d*rn wire I sure was going to keep it  :angel:
Next to a Rambler and Spirit for size reference, is just what I had laying on the table
  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

well, actually yes I have.  :D After all the drama to cut that d*rn wire I sure was going to keep it  :angel:
Next to a Rambler and Spirit for size reference, is just what I had laying on the table

Thanks TP  :cheers:
You would think that it is ok to cut wire  :think:
Are you going to send it to SOG for warranty  :tu:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
I've been doing outside work today (95 F out and humid) and haven't gotten a chance to use the pad yet, but will be working on something different in a bit and shall use it then. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
I've bought three packs of these hangers for hammers and mallets($1 for five) so far. Now I have them everywhere to keep from laying hammers on stuff that could get damaged.
Putting another one on the table utilized the awl and dedicated phillips driver. The awl was very good at drilling the hardwood. The phillips driver did what it was supposed to do and screwed in the #1 3/8" wood screws with normal applied force.
20180603_183154.jpeg
* 20180603_183154.jpeg (Filesize: 112.62 KB)
20180603_183700.jpeg
* 20180603_183700.jpeg (Filesize: 105.74 KB)
20180603_183840.jpeg
* 20180603_183840.jpeg (Filesize: 92.31 KB)
20180603_183943.jpeg
* 20180603_183943.jpeg (Filesize: 88.55 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
I would like to mention something about SOG saws. They have been shorter than they could have made them since the PowerPlier(with exception of the PowerPlay and Paratool?).

Even my beloved PowerLock has a comically short saw. However, with that being said, the "whispy"(for lack of a better word) PE/SE blades are longer, so they did fix two of the four "shorter" tools that have plagued SOGs older designs, even though they are not likely to be as robust.
I am not sure what to say about the PAD file. Is it some kind of MT hipster irony that it is so bad? The PowerLock file(round and flat versions) are very acceptable.
Comparison pics:
20180603_195746-1.jpeg
* 20180603_195746-1.jpeg (Filesize: 111.27 KB)
20180603_200103-1.jpeg
* 20180603_200103-1.jpeg (Filesize: 138.46 KB)
20180603_200004-1.jpeg
* 20180603_200004-1.jpeg (Filesize: 140.24 KB)
20180603_195852-1.jpeg
* 20180603_195852-1.jpeg (Filesize: 173.29 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
 :oops:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Day 4

The awl is pretty good. My belt's inability to hold up my trousers had been bothering me for a few days already (crikey, have I lost weight?) and I decided to put the PAD's awl to the test on the sturdy leather. No major problems there.

Edit:
Now, regarding that file...

:rant:
I have taken a somewhat closer look at the file and I think a case can be made for the manufacturer having committed an act of felony.

I am serious.

The manufacturer declares this tool as a file.

According to all definitions I know, a file has teeth.
See e.g. Wikipedia: "A file is a tool used to remove fine amounts of material from a workpiece. It is common in woodworking, metalworking, and other similar trade and hobby tasks. Most are hand tools, made of a case hardened steel bar of rectangular, square, triangular, or round cross-section, with one or more surfaces cut with sharp, generally parallel teeth" (emphasis added).

In metal- and woodworking, a tooth on a tool has a triangular shape and is characterised by having more or less slanted sides and an apex.

I have taken a magnifying glass to the so-called "file" and confirmed my initial assessment that whatever this file has, it does not include teeth. The ridges left over after applying the shallow parallel incisions are generally flat-topped and fail to produce the required apex. Therefore, no teeth are present. Therefore the "file" is not a file.

I have also compared the PAD's flat piece of metal with shallow grooves with real files as found on Victorinox and Leatherman products, which can be said to be the leading manufacturers each in their own aspect of the multitool business. All these files have teeth, and therefore one can say that these represent the state of the art, even in the multitool business. By declaring said flat piece of metal with shallow grooves to be a file, in the knowledge that even in the multitool business, a file is generally known as having teeth, and therefore must be presumed to have teeth, SOG are misrepresenting their product and thereby cheating (swindling, deceiving, defrauding?) the client.

Now, being in Europe, even if I wanted to, I can't (yet) start a class action suit, but maybe one of our interested members in the US can?

Anyway, rant over, just wanted to get this off my chest, take it as you will.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:59:10 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Zombie Apprentice
DT,
Unfortunately for anyone interested in filing(lol) a CAL, the case can be made and proven, we knew before buying the PADs/PAs that the file would be garbage. Plus, if you rub the file on soft material very hard, it will remove material....Technically...
SOG SHOULD offer to make and send out correctly machined files for anyone willing to pop one in their PAD. I wouldn't pay the shipping and/or wait for weeks to let SOG do it. The damn thing was too expensive to start with. :facepalm:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
DT,
Unfortunately [...] we knew before buying the PADs/PAs that the file would be garbage. Plus, if you rub the file on soft material very hard, it will remove material....Technically...
SOG SHOULD offer to make and send out correctly machined files for anyone willing to pop one in their PAD. I wouldn't pay the shipping and/or wait for weeks to let SOG do it. The damn thing was too expensive to start with. :facepalm:

Thanks GLBM... well, technically I had no idea the file would not even be a file, even if news had not been encouraging to start with...

The fact that material is removed when you apply the "file" does not actually count. I guess the only, minimal, scraping action is due to the edges where the sides of the grooves meets the top surface not being entirely clean, due to sloppy application of the cut. That does not make it a file.

Anyhow, I agree, I'd settle for a proper replacement file for free too, no problem.  :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline powernoodle

Powernoodle Day 4

The saw is short, but adequate.  Most of the cutting is accomplished on the pull stroke.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Day 4

Today I was working on my daughters old
mountain bike as it’s to small for her now
So it’s time to sell the bike  :tu:

The seat is on the highest level it can go
So I had to put the seat back down

I used the bolt grippers to undo the nut
Than pushed the seat back down
And tightened the nut back up with the bolt grippers

On the last pic you can see the pliers
after use and no damage to the teeth

I am very impressed with the pliers so far
As I was expecting to see some marks on the pliers  :cheers:

us Offline powernoodle

Me too.  The pliers/cutter/compound leverage is far and away the best part of this MT.  It equals or exceeds the utility of the competition.  The only improvement might be the addition of replaceable cutters.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

Me too.  The pliers/cutter/compound leverage is far and away the best part of this MT.  It equals or exceeds the utility of the competition.  The only improvement might be the addition of replaceable cutters.
That would be nice, as long as they don’t become weak :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

Yeah, many folks prefer the non-replaceable cutters on the Gerbers, for example, as being less prone to fracture than the replaceable cutters.  I would prolly rather deal with the replaceable flavor than ding up the non-replaceable version and have to file it out.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
As long as they make them stronger than I wouldn’t mind  :tu:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law

some argue that with the added leverage and gripping power the cutters would be easily broken off and abused  :ahhh

Yeah, many folks prefer the non-replaceable cutters on the Gerbers, for example, as being less prone to fracture than the replaceable cutters.

I do. Gerber's carbide cutters are like SOG's newer files, that is, cr*p  :rant:

Thanks TP  :cheers:
You would think that it is ok to cut wire  :think:
Are you going to send it to SOG for warranty  :tu:

no unfortunately not,
SOG hasn't been very friendly or open to sending things overseas to me in previous comms, even through European dealers and for a price  :P  so warranty repairs are completely off the table  :oops:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Chris@SOG got back to me today
To say that he will ask the engineers
What they class as soft wire and hard wire
And will get back to me

I emailed Chris back and mentioned about the
file quality. As soon as I get a email
I will let you all know what he said :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
:tu: :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
A thought on the finish, which seems to be subject to some criticism...
Of course polished or BO would be nicer. However, one can say that the current kind of matte finish has some advantages as well - it's less slippery than polished steel and less prone to reflecting light, so less conspicuous (if you want to be covert) while still being light-coloured enough to find if dropped in the underbrush (unlike BO). Just my 2 €c...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
I like the finish of the PAD
It’s something a bit different  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Old grill is falling apart. Temporary fix: new bolts. I'll add washers and cut the excess off when I don't feel lazy.
The PAD pliers did well on these small-medium nuts/bolts.
20180604_140720-1.jpeg
* 20180604_140720-1.jpeg (Filesize: 158.7 KB)
20180604_135123-1.jpeg
* 20180604_135123-1.jpeg (Filesize: 156.85 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

I like the finish of the PAD

If I really liked the PAD, I would probably really like the stonewashed finish.  But as I pretty much dislike the PAD, it stinks up what I think about the finish.

Current Powernoodle Dynamic Assessment Rating ("CPDAR"):  4/10

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Day 5

Loose car floor mat re-tightened with the large flat screwdriver bit in the integral bit grip. Nice thought to add a magnet so as not to lose the bit should you accidentally release the grip.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Got a email from Chris@SOG and this is what he wrote

I don’t have a good answer for you on the file. I’ve alerted Engineering and hopefully that will address the issue.

Here is the answer I got from one of our engineers

As a general rule, if it is non-structural (or not intended to sustain mechanical loads) it is soft wire. One example is copper electrical wire with plastic insulation. If it deoes sustain mechanical loads it is hard wire. Example chicken wire.

Hopefully this helps out.

us Offline powernoodle

Powernoodle Day 5

The "file" on the PowerAccess Deluxe is so poorly made as to be virtually non-functional.  It would not smooth out the rough spots on this plastic outdoor garbage bin.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%