Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: PowerPint Overview Mighty Little MT
Reply #120 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:51 AM
Sam,
Can you tighten the pliers mount screws anymore than they are(I know some SOG models have pins that are bottomed out)? That is how I got mine to stop opening in my pocket.  :dunno:

But I like to flik the pliers open and bash my knuckles a little..  :D

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #121 on: March 15, 2019, 02:28:58 PM
But I like to flik the pliers open and bash my knuckles a little..  :D
:rofl:
Fair enough.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #122 on: March 16, 2019, 03:26:10 AM
That's alot of improvements from the original design RC!  :like: I would really like to incorporate some kind of swing lock for the handles.. The pocket clip is on the wrong end and the handles keeps opening up in my pocket..

Thanks Sam. Regarding the lock for the handles, would cutting a notch out of the lanyard ring and right handle (as per diagram) work?

Also, how straight forward is it when reassembling the springs? Does it require any 'tricks' like the LM Juice to put the springs back in place?

Thanks.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #123 on: March 16, 2019, 04:22:12 AM
Something like the Kershaw A100's would work, maybe on the other side of where the Pint's pocket-clip is.
put a latch on one screw, and have a narrow washer to lift the screw's head, so the latch can hook it.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #124 on: March 16, 2019, 04:23:34 AM
I would really like to incorporate some kind of swing lock for the handles..

:popcorn:
Show us how it's done, Sam. :cheers:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #125 on: March 16, 2019, 04:52:15 AM
Something like the Kershaw A100's would work, maybe on the other side of where the Pint's pocket-clip is.
put a latch on one screw, and have a narrow washer to lift the screw's head, so the latch can hook it.

This sounds like a good idea ReamerPunch! All we need is to source a suitable latch that will fit, if not it has to be custom-made?

Gosh, I wish SOG is listening !

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #126 on: March 17, 2019, 09:55:08 PM
This sounds like a good idea ReamerPunch! All we need is to source a suitable latch that will fit, if not it has to be custom-made?

Gosh, I wish SOG is listening !
I think it would be easy to fabricate from some mild hardness  thinner gauge steel. Using a dremel and assorted cutting wheels and bits. And a lot of patience.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #127 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:40 AM
I think it would be easy to fabricate from some mild hardness  thinner gauge steel. Using a dremel and assorted cutting wheels and bits. And a lot of patience.  :ahhh

Thanks for the tip! Has anyone disassembled the torx screws, took out the implements and put it all back together in their Pint yet? How easy/difficult is it to put the tension springs back together?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: March 18, 2019, 09:11:22 AM
Thanks for the tip! Has anyone disassembled the torx screws, took out the implements and put it all back together in their Pint yet? How easy/difficult is it to put the tension springs back together?
Anytime! Should be a fun project.  :cheers:
It is one of the easier tools to break down and put back together(relatively of course). The only issue I would mark as somewhat serious is the thin washers. Make sure they do back between the correct implements. The newer versions have better quality washers, but if you have an early Pint, they will be thin and flimsy. Just something to watch for.  :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: March 18, 2019, 10:09:37 AM
It is one of the easier tools to break down and put back together(relatively of course). The only issue I would mark as somewhat serious is the thin washers. Make sure they do back between the correct implements. The newer versions have better quality washers, but if you have an early Pint, they will be thin and flimsy. Just something to watch for.  :)

Like GLBM said. The spring does not post any problems. I think mine is a earlier version. The washers are a complete mess..  :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #130 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:28 AM
I hope SOG has been taking notes. :pok:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #131 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:10 PM

Thanks guys for your advice  :salute:. I will take note and be extra careful with the washers. Fingers-crossed. :climber:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #132 on: March 23, 2019, 01:55:22 AM
Great thread guys. Just coming across this now. Do any of you have a feel for whether Victorinox or Wenger tools might fit?
 :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #133 on: March 26, 2019, 04:19:20 AM
No idea about the Vic tools fitting, but thanks for the kind words, tommywp! :cheers:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #134 on: April 12, 2019, 01:11:28 PM
Not ideal, but a quick & dirty method to prevent the handles from opening while riding on the pocket clip. Cut out a U clip from a paper clip.

20190412_185700~01~01.jpg
* 20190412_185700~01~01.jpg (Filesize: 187.74 KB)
20190412_185620~01~02.jpg
* 20190412_185620~01~02.jpg (Filesize: 237.91 KB)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 02:15:23 PM by roamingcat »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #135 on: April 12, 2019, 02:02:49 PM
Cool hack, roamingcat! :like:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #136 on: April 12, 2019, 03:13:21 PM
Cool hack, roamingcat! :like:

Thank you !  Applied the same hack to solve the same 'problem' of my LM Wave while I am at it.

20190412_210643~01.jpg
* 20190412_210643~01.jpg (Filesize: 149.27 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #137 on: April 13, 2019, 06:54:42 AM
 :like:

A couple of questions though, if you don't mind?! Do you ever lose the clips? And how long does a nice one take to make?

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #138 on: April 13, 2019, 10:43:05 AM
:like:

A couple of questions though, if you don't mind?! Do you ever lose the clips? And how long does a nice one take to make?

Sure, not at all. I haven't lost a clip yet, but it is mainly because I only had it for less than 24 hours and I haven't been carrying it around too much  :cheers: I agree with you it may be prone to loosing since there is no permanent attachment to the Pint. fyi I made the first u-clip in about a minute, and if I ever loose it I can re-make a replacement in less than a minute since I am already familiar with the overall shape. All that is required is a paper clip, 2 cuts + 2 bends (with one finger and one set of pliers) btw - I have further 'refined' the u-clip in the attached photo. It has worked well for me so far (within the last 24 hous or so).

20190413_162301~01.jpg
* 20190413_162301~01.jpg (Filesize: 121.66 KB)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:53:15 AM by roamingcat »

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #139 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:04 AM
double post

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #140 on: April 13, 2019, 12:44:53 PM
Great simple idea  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: April 13, 2019, 01:52:44 PM
Sure, not at all. I haven't lost a clip yet, but it is mainly because I only had it for less than 24 hours and I haven't been carrying it around too much  :cheers: I agree with you it may be prone to loosing since there is no permanent attachment to the Pint. fyi I made the first u-clip in about a minute, and if I ever loose it I can re-make a replacement in less than a minute since I am already familiar with the overall shape. All that is required is a paper clip, 2 cuts + 2 bends (with one finger and one set of pliers) btw - I have further 'refined' the u-clip in the attached photo. It has worked well for me so far (within the last 24 hous or so).
Excellent. Thank you, RC! :cheers:

I may conjure up a few clips for some looser tools now. A minute or so seems like a fair compromise to keep certain tools from opening on the pocket. I have usually just over tightened pliers pivot bolts to keep them from opening, but flipping MTs open when they arw looser. :)

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #142 on: April 13, 2019, 09:12:40 PM
I want to love this tool so badly... perfect size, good tool selection (short of flat head drivers)... but the small flathead that is onboard bends at will and is seemingly made of pot metal... the scissors leave a lot to be desired as well... I am in love with the design, just wish it was executed better!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #143 on: April 14, 2019, 12:18:47 AM
The last SOG MT I bought, and I don't even remember the name [it was the PowerAccess], was so poorly made that I dropped out of an MTO Challenge and returned the thing to Amazon. The "file" was as smooth as a baby's rump, and the whole thing was just flimsy and cheap.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #144 on: April 14, 2019, 03:34:47 AM
I want to love this tool so badly... perfect size, good tool selection (short of flat head drivers)... but the small flathead that is onboard bends at will and is seemingly made of pot metal... the scissors leave a lot to be desired as well... I am in love with the design, just wish it was executed better!
I have not experienced any driver bending yet, but will watch for it. Thanks for the input, Nittles! :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: April 14, 2019, 03:42:53 AM
The last SOG MT I bought, and I don't even remember the name [it was the PowerAccess], was so poorly made that I dropped out of an MTO Challenge and returned the thing to Amazon. The "file" was as smooth as a baby's rump, and the whole thing was just flimsy and cheap.
Indeed. I did have fun smearing mayonnaise on bread with the file though.  :rofl:

Here is the PowerAccess Deluxe/PowerAccess challenge thread for anyone interested in our observations of its' performance.  :)
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77168.60.html

That said, and I'm being honest, it would be nice to keep this thread about the PowerPint and ideas to improve the function of it. :)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:50 AM

When the PowerPint was annouced I was pretty sure I would get one but held off waiting to hear some reports. I no longer intend to get one because I expect to be disappointed and I'm not all the picky. SOG has some great ideas and clever designs but they seriously need to up their manufacturing game before I will ever buy again.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:56 AM

I may be the odd one to like the file on the Pint. Tool this size, I wouldn't expect it to file hard stuffs. Able to round off plastic or wood is good enough. Works best for manicure. Great pocket nail file for touching up.  :tu:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #148 on: April 15, 2019, 10:31:34 AM
Inspired by the new LM Free, I found a 1mm magnet and used it as a stopper to the handles from opening. A slightly more 'elegant' solution to the 'paper clip' method imo.

20190415_171835~01~01.jpg
* 20190415_171835~01~01.jpg (Filesize: 195.96 KB)
20190415_171802~01~01.jpg
* 20190415_171802~01~01.jpg (Filesize: 190.68 KB)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:23:31 AM by roamingcat »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #149 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:46 PM
 :o
Very very cool, RC! :like:

What kind of magnet did you use for the mod?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%