Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Original Leatherman Super Tool

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Original Leatherman Super Tool
on: November 23, 2008, 02:31:03 AM
Well Guys this is my first try at anything like this so go easy on me :angel: Especially since this is such an awesome tool hope I have done it a little justice sorry if the pics aren't the best as well :)

Where to begin?

The original Big Boy of Multitools the Leatherman Super Tool

The Tool Itself

The Super Tool was the third tool produced in the Leatherman Lineup and the first 4 and a half inch tool. The Super Tool was produced from 1994 through 2001 where it was replaced by the Leatherman Super Tool 200. Also of note is that some of the early models of the Super Tool as with the early PSTs lacked a hard wire notch. The Super Tool had a great run in it's 7 year run.  This is a tough tool that was built for everyday heavy duty use and abuse.   

The tools of it where also bigger and beefier than it's smaller counterpart (PST) and each tool locked.  It included 18 listed tools. A clip-point knife, a serrated knife, needlenose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, hard-wire cutters, electric crimper, small, med, large screwdrivers, a phillips head screwdriver, wood/metal file,a saw, a wire stripper, a bottle opener, a can opener, 9 in / 22 cm ruler, and an awl.

The Blades

The knife blades of the Super Tool are a very fine example of each type the first is a clip-point blade and the second is also a clip point serrated blade (not seen to my knowledge in any other of the larger Leatherman example Super Tool 200, Core etc.)

Plier Head

The plier head is of a combination type neither a true needlenose nor a true regular plier head and it makes for a great multi use plier head. It also incorporates a regular wire cutter with a hard-wire notch.

Additionally it was also bigger than the plier head of the original PST (Leatherman Tool). Which also allows for more leverage which in turn means more cutting capability.

Electric Crimper

The next tool the electric crimper which is used to crimp different types of wire is at the base of the plierhead belween the two handles. I have not ever had the chance to use this tool, but I imagine that it is serviceable.

Screw Drivers

Now the drivers the smallest screwdriver is what you might call the eyeglass screwdriver works very well on small headed fine straight screws. The med driver is a bit longer and covers the med straight screws. The large (by far the most used by me minus the phillips head) is a medium reach straight driver that can also double as a prybar. The phillips head is a very good phillips driver that seems to handle various sizes of screws.  The phillips is predominately designed for the number 2 size screw head though (at least that's what it looks like).

Wire Stipper Bottle/Can Opener

The wire stripper is also part of the bottle opener/can opener combo tool.  It is serviceable but I wouldn't want to use it for very long as the knife does a better job at stripping wire.  The bottle opener I really have no use for as I never find that I need to open any kind of a bottle but I am sure that is would open one if need be.  It also doesn't take any extra space so they really don't lose anything by putting it in there.  I have tried the can opener and I find that this designs works rather well (especially if no other openers are avaliable).

The File

The file is a very good designed file as it is in the shape of a traditional file with both a smooth and course side in it.  This file seems to get the job done.  I prefer the diamond file Leatherman has but when this tool came out they hadn't put it in a multi yet.

The Saw

The saw on the Super Tool was also a first for Leatherman.  This saw is very good at small wood cutting tasks and could also be made as a drywall saw in a pinch.  I really find a use for the saw and find that this one is very well made. It is oriented on a pull stroke.

The Ruler

The ruler is serviceable as well and since it doesn't take any space up it can be handy occasionally.

The Awl

This awl is not the sharpest of awls but it is a good awl nonetheless. It can save your knife blade in some instances.

The Cons

Overall I really like the Super Tool but it does have it's downfalls.  The tool doesn't have rolled edged handles and can be uncomfortable to use sometimes.  The locking system can sometimes be a bit tedious as you have to pull another tool out to unlock the one you have out.  Also as some (including myself) don't mind tool clumping it is also a bit of a problem for some.

Well I guess this concludes my review of the Leatherman Super Tool.  I find that it is a very nice tool to own and use. Albeit it has a few of the early problems of mulittools.

Please help me keep this accurate if you see mistakes let me know.  Also if anything needs to be added please let me know Thanks :tu:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:14:14 AM by Poncho65 »

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Original Leatherman Super Tool
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 03:23:38 AM
Nice review Ponch . I had not realised the ST having the only clip point serrated blade in the LM range :salute:. I compared my ST's serrated blade with the PSTII's, the ST is clearly bigger has a different serrated patten & obviously the PSTII is a combined straight/serrated blade. Looking at the serration pattern on the ST it looks the same as my ST200's & Surge's . I wonder if they dropped the clip-point serrated blade after the ST due to the point breaking or if it was for another reason(s).

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:33:51 AM
Nice review Ponch . I had not realised the ST having the only clip point serrated blade in the LM range :salute:. I compared my ST's serrated blade with the PSTII's, the ST is clearly bigger has a different serrated patten & obviously the PSTII is a combined straight/serrated blade. Looking at the serration pattern on the ST it looks the same as my ST200's & Surge's . I wonder if they dropped the clip-point serrated blade after the ST due to the point breaking or if it was for another reason(s).

thanks MM :tu:  :think: I have wondered that myself

perhaps someone in the know will show up and help us out on that one :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:41:13 AM
Nice review, Poncho!  :cheers:
[

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:21:34 AM
Nice job Ponch :tu:

you done good bro, I think you did a good job on your pictures I just wish they were bigger
because your lighting is interesting (artsie) :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:54:19 AM
Great review mate :tu:

Keep em coming :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:56:57 AM
Thats a very nice review  :) I too am a big fan of the Classic Supertool . I think its a shame about the serrated clip point blade as it makes it useless as a rescue blade .The one on the ST200 is much better .

Dunc

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 02:16:15 PM
Nice review of a tool that I EDC'd for years, it still sees a lot of action around the house.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:04:20 PM
Great review!  :cheers:
B

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 05:13:30 PM

you done good bro, I think you did a good job on your pictures I just wish they were bigger

Agreed, the lighting gives the MT a golden shine. Nice review, thx.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:05:03 PM
Very enjoyable read that buddy.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:12 PM

Yeah I knew the color was off but I need to reload them onto photobucket as bigger pics ::) Maybe I can get some better light but for now ya get the general idea of it :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 07:15:25 PM

Yeah I knew the color was off but I need to reload them onto photobucket as bigger pics ::) Maybe I can get some better light but for now ya get the general idea of it :D

I think they were complimenting you on them actually.  ;)
I'm back!!

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 07:28:56 PM

I kinda was  :P a 24-k gold limited edition pst

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 07:34:07 PM

I kinda was  :P a 24-k gold limited edition pst

Well I took them on my computer desk don't know why the color is like that ??? but hey if you like it sounds good to me  :D I still need to try and make them bigger ;) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:58 PM
Well I made them a little bigger I think I like the look of it better :)

What do you guys think?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43:41 PM
Well I made them a little bigger I think I like the look of it better :)

What do you guys think?

Much better.  :)
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 07:50:27 PM
 :tu:  much better

Dunc

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 08:54:35 PM
 :tu: :tu:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10:25 PM
much better! now we can see some detail  :)

I do like the color, like they said who doesn't like "Gold" MTS!
but the reason you get that is your lighting, incandescent bulbs
do that.

also to eliminate fuzzy/blurry pics (besides being steady) is to pull
back farther in your shoot, and use the zoom more (tripod helps
if you got the shakes! *hangovers) some sensors can't handle the
closeup well ;)

more reviews from Poncho! :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 10:16:20 PM
much better! now we can see some detail  :)

I do like the color, like they said who doesn't like "Gold" MTS!
but the reason you get that is your lighting, incandescent bulbs
do that.

also to eliminate fuzzy/blurry pics (besides being steady) is to pull
back farther in your shoot, and use the zoom more (tripod helps
if you got the shakes! *hangovers) some sensors can't handle the
closeup well ;)

more reviews from Poncho! :cheers:

Thanks WD for the tips :tu:

and for all the encouragement guys :cheers:

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 10:49:13 PM
and thank you for the very nice review Ponch :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:10:25 AM
Well I didn't get to see the "before" pictures, but I must say the "afters" look just fine to me.

Nice work on the review Poncho! :salute: I also had never realized that the serrated clip point was unique to the Super Tool. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:05 AM
Well I didn't get to see the "before" pictures, but I must say the "afters" look just fine to me.

Nice work on the review Poncho! :salute: I also had never realized that the serrated clip point was unique to the Super Tool. :)

The befores where the same only smaller :D and if you say it's the only serrated clip point then it must be true (I thought it was but wasn't absolutely positive about it ::) :D ) Since you say it I am sure ::) :D :D :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 05:26:20 AM

The befores where the same only smaller :D and if you say it's the only serrated clip point then it must be true (I thought it was but wasn't absolutely positive about it ::) :D ) Since you say it I am sure ::) :D :D :D

Well I haven't done a comprehensive check or anything, but I certainly believe you are correct. :tu:

Wow, I just realized I know two different guys in the construction trades that still carry a Super Tool every day. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 07:02:18 AM

Well I haven't done a comprehensive check or anything, but I certainly believe you are correct. :tu:

Wow, I just realized I know two different guys in the construction trades that still carry a Super Tool every day. :)

If your not already counting me I have been carrying it to work everyday for the past week or so to get a feel for it and I really like it the more I carry it :tu:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:07 AM
Thanks for the review, Poncho65.

Here's an additional bit of history.  The earlier version of the Super Tool did not include a hard wire cutter.
supertool-old-cutters.jpg
* supertool-old-cutters.jpg (Filesize: 30.52 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 12:09:29 AM
Thanks for the review, Poncho65.

Here's an additional bit of history.  The earlier version of the Super Tool did not include a hard wire cutter.

Just like the PST  :tu: I had not realized that thanks :cheers: I think I will edit that in a bit ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:18 AM
I guess they figured after you squished the regular wire cutter on hard wires it'll become the hardwire cutter.  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 04:49:08 AM
I guess they figured after you squished the regular wire cutter on hard wires it'll become the hardwire cutter.  :D

:o :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD