Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why always needle nose pliers

temo · 14 · 771

fi Offline temo

Why always needle nose pliers
on: May 17, 2019, 11:56:15 AM
Still today I don't get popularity of needle nose pliers. Why there are no good regular plier multitools and blunt noses. I'll add two pictures to explain why. I use regular pliers most and long nose just makes regular pliers less usable. Example ST300 blunt nose mod I like more then before mod. But had to mod drivers as well so not the thing I would like to do for new tool.

Vic pocket knife pliers are creat. Only issue small size of handle. But for small things great.

Other thing with needle nose plier head does not handle torque well. For smaller nuts I have used blunt nose ST in that way a lot.

For skeletool blunt nose mod would be easy. As it should not effect plliers closing. Might be that my skele soon has round nose pliers..

Or I have to find out need for needle noses. The maybe would be worth to loose some regular plier usability. For some reason my tasks just always prefers blunt noses.

Pictures are just example. But I have many cases where example needle noses scratch paint when using regular pliers or just don't have room for nose.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

fi Offline temo

Re: Why always needle nose pliers
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:38:35 PM
Well I just did it. Still will shape a bit and remove scratch. But yes, now these are my kind of pliers. Not a big thing but sometimes small things matters. Let's see for longer usage will I get situations where removed plier head would be missed.

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:34 PM
 :like:
Nice "mod"
But I like needle nose pliers. They can go in smaller and deeper holes. Or for precision jobs. And if I need stronger, bigger pliers I just grab real pliers

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:39:16 PM
Great mod temo :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fi Offline temo

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 02:06:42 PM
Yes maybe I am just blunt kind of guy I agree many people like needle nose. And I have kept those as well with most tools. This is third tool I did modify to blunt nose (ST, gerber 400 and now skele). For MP400 and skele modification were easy. For ST I would not do that as it does effect closing the tool. So rebar as well I keep it as it is.

Blunt nose mods and spirit are most used tools I have. My spirit has extra hole so it makes those very usable for me (even hole is ment for something I don't use it with). Now feels I will carry mod skele quite a lot as well. It is quite optimal pocket carry weight for me. Any bigger my old spirit will be hard to beat.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:12:49 PM
Blunt nose, don't mind if I do...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:04 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:20 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:24:37 PM
Nice pics zoidberg  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

fi Offline temo

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:01 PM
Great ones zoidberg

fi Offline temo

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 04:07:11 PM
BTW I was thinking to mod spirit small circle to square but there is no room enough. I think all metal close to small circle is needed that won't break the pliers.

Maybe some day I will continue with ST. There is still one usability fault when closing the tool with medium driver out (have to push pliers to other handle that closes). Plier hits to awl. If plier head would be a bit round it would jump over the awl I think. Else I am happy with it. And at home usually first tool I take in need. Skele pliers are smaller so for heavier tasks avoid using.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 02:41:46 AM
Yes sometimes a simple looking mod isn't really that simple.
Done many blunt nosed hacks now and they all had to be different because of tool load outs or clearance issues etc.

Ramble incoming alert.
Idiot proofing is IMO a high skill hack form and should be considered when working.
Things that just do are so much more intuitive that things that only do if...

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 03:21:32 PM
Personally, I feel it is, in many ways, because they're better for all round work, and clearance of internal tools. I find blunt nose better for fencing or mechanical work (that's why I pack linesman's pliers when doing that); yet needlenose for general work. They're better for reaching in and getting things, and very fine work. And needlenose pliers will poke holes in your pockets--for about a month, I carried a small pair of Boker pliers paired with an SAK, and the pliers pocket in my pants had multiple holes in them; and that's why I never again carried needlenose pliers. Linesman's, plus Knipex Cobras, plus needlenose MT covers all my pliers needs.

But, it's a shame only Kutmaster and Gerber are the only two manufacturers that give you the option of both on their products. And the Kutmaster cutters are a complete and utter joke. They maim electrical wiring, and ding when you're cutting the least little bit of hard wire--and both instances was stuff literally every other piece in my arsenal cut like it was nothing.  The Gerber is good, but the modern models use those fragile cutters.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:47 PM
Leatherman could call the Skele w/blunt nose pliers the Skeleblunt  :rofl:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD