Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scientist Club Thread

Myron · 41 · 3101

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Scientist Club Thread
Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 07:47:37 PM
I will check the three I have at home for their distinguishing characteristics. 

Please do! The Scientist, being a thin knife of relatively short production life (10 years), doesn't really have a ton of variants. A lot of the tools that went through the typical evolution during this period aren't in the knife (scissors, metal file, key ring attachment), so there's not a ton to go on date with a ton of precision. The third model on the list, c1996, really could have been made any time between 1991-1999. I think the 1996 date comes from the packaging I got with the knife, not by looking at the tools.

There is one more possible variant I can think of to this range that I haven't seen yet. It would slot in between the 1986 and 1989 models above. This variant would be from 1987/88 and have a large "V" tang stamp but still have the brass spacer on the Philips layer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 07:53:50 PM
?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 07:58:07 PM
Jazzbass,

Thanks for the historical information on Swiss Bianco; that's the fullest telling of the story I've ever read.  I must admit that although beautifully built, I've never understood the price premium that his Alox models seem to command.  I guess it all just boils down to supply and demand, and there are relatively fewer of his special runs, colors, tool combo's, etc. around, so their values are higher.  But still. 

Myron

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 08:00:11 PM
Looks like a 1986 model small "v" and spacer on the Philips.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 02:49:24 PM
Here are some fresh pics of mine.

My first two older ones are small v, spacer on the phillips spring, grooved corkscrew. 

My third, which I'm keeping in unused condition, is the same configuration except it has a big V.  Everything else is the same. 

Also, all three appear to have the same profile on the combination tool. 

Scientist No. 1 (Note missing keyring):

Scientist No. 2:

Scientist No. 3:

And by the way, if anyone has a spare Engineer, I'd happily and gratefully take it off your hands.  :)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 02:58:37 PM
Nice photo’s :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 05:04:30 PM
I can't seem to figure out what you mean with "spacer on Philips"... :shrug:

And I'll also take any Engineers under my Wings...
The knife kind, not the human kind.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 06, 2019, 07:00:23 PM
I can't seem to figure out what you mean with "spacer on Philips"... :shrug:

Maybe picture this will help. For the old grey mag glass/Philips, I know of three different backspring spacer combos they used:

Type I: 1973 - c.1982. This is a flatter spring that largely follows the same contour as the scissors spring. It goes under and not around the #4 (fulcrum) pin.
Type II: 1982 - c.1987. Same spring as Type I, but they add a small brass spacer around the #4 pin on this layer for extra support
Type III: 1987 - c. 2006. The spring is completely resigned to have a bump in the middle that rises up next to the #4 pin. This eliminates the need for the brass spacer

The backspring is completely redesigned in the early 2000s for the new clear mag glass/locking Phillips.

All factory Scientists (i.e. excluding the +B version from 2009) were made between 1986-1999, so they will either have a Type II or Type III spring in them.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:38 PM
There is one more possible variant I can think of to this range that I haven't seen yet. It would slot in between the 1986 and 1989 models above. This variant would be from 1987/88 and have a large "V" tang stamp but still have the brass spacer on the Philips layer.

My third, which I'm keeping in unused condition, is the same configuration except it has a big V.  Everything else is the same. 

Nice! This is the one I was talking about above. So there WAS another run made in mid/late 80s between the 86 and 89 runs. I suspected there might be but it's nice to have positive confirmation.

Also, all three appear to have the same profile on the combination tool. 

Yeah, AFAIK they haven't ever changed the design of the 91mm combo tool; only the 84mm version.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 06, 2019, 07:07:47 PM
:hatsoff:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 07:27:23 PM
Maybe picture this will help. For the old grey mag glass/Philips, I know of three different backspring spacer combos they used:

Type I: 1973 - c.1982. This is a flatter spring that largely follows the same contour as the scissors spring. It goes under and not around the #4 (fulcrum) pin.
Type II: 1982 - c.1987. Same spring as Type I, but they add a small brass spacer around the #4 pin on this layer for extra support
Type III: 1987 - c. 2006. The spring is completely resigned to have a bump in the middle that rises up next to the #4 pin. This eliminates the need for the brass spacer

The backspring is completely redesigned in the early 2000s for the new clear mag glass/locking Phillips.

(Image removed from quote.)

All factory Scientists (i.e. excluding the +B version from 2009) were made between 1986-1999, so they will either have a Type II or Type III spring in them.
Learned something new today! Great photos.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD