Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The good news is I found my dream SAK

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
The good news is I found my dream SAK
on: June 16, 2018, 12:14:45 AM
The bad news is it's not a Victorinox. And it's made in Ch-Ch-Ch-China. It calls itself a Ruick LD31

This thing has everything I have been looking for in a 111mm SAK:
-One hand opening blade, non serrated. (Liner lock.)
-Scissors
-Large screwdriver/ Caplifter
-Corkscrew
-No saw!

(Victorinox comes close to this with the Outrider - and if you ignore the fancy material used in the blade the 2017 Damascus Outrider (which drops the saw) gets the tool selection nearly right - but still, it's a nail-nick blade, not one-hand opening.)

To this list of essentials the Ruike adds:
- A belt-cutter with a screwdriver at the end - a famously weird design which also appears on Boker's Tech Tool series. (This one is a slightly scaled up version of the one on the Tech Tool.)
- A very impressive inline awl, which seems to be a must have feature for some people around here.
- There's also a removable pocket clip, which is very nice to have on a SAK this size, as well as a fold-out attachment point for a lanyard.
- a really decent set of tweezers, but no toothpick.

(They make a slimmer version of this knife without the scissors/inline awl layer, and a couple of chunkier versions which offer a saw and/or pliers, as well as an inline Phillips.)

The quality of this thing is first class. There is none of that all-round crappiness we see in most Chinese SAK knockoffs. It feels really solid.
My first concern was whether the scissors would be dreadful. Turns out they are really excellent. I tried various types of paper and thin cellophane, the kind of super-thin stuff that usually just bends instead of cutting - these scissors made clean, effortless cuts on whatever I threw at them.
The only negatives I have so far found is that I don't really like black G10 - I would prefer the scales to be almost any other colour. The shape of the handles could be a little rounder. My second negative point (and the reason I didn't order a chunkier model) concerns weight. This one is 182 grams -  the old slide lock Victorinox Outrider adds a saw and manages to be 50 grams lighter. Even the newer liner-lock Outrider is 24 grams lighter than the Ruike.
Also, given the position of the opening tab, this is for right-handed people only; at least, trying to opening with one's left hand felt like a dangerous and tricky thing to do. The ambidextrous Spyderco /Victorinox hole in the blade approach is what I would prefer - though that would of course mean a bumpier shape to the blade.

Anyway - I won't do a mammoth test of this strange beast, not yet anyway - But I would like to wonder out loud why it has taken a Chinese company to come up with something so obvious as one-hand, non serrated Outrider (minus saw!)  It's not like Victorinox doesn't have the pieces - they could build this thing in a jiffy. Their version would almost certainly be lighter in weight and a bit more comfortable in the hand. Since that particular Vic doesn't exist, I have no option other than give my money to a very impressive Chinese company instead.

I'll update this with nicer photos sometime. But for now - next to a Forester:
Ruike1.jpg
* Ruike1.jpg (Filesize: 221.81 KB)
Ruike-Forester openers.jpg
* Ruike-Forester openers.jpg (Filesize: 247.27 KB)
Ruike-awl.jpg
* Ruike-awl.jpg (Filesize: 201.34 KB)
Ruike Width again.jpg
* Ruike Width again.jpg (Filesize: 213.12 KB)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:16:25 AM by Thunderpants »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The good news is I found my dream SAK
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:16:30 AM
Nice find.

Now I'm looking for a 30-day challenge by you........ :viking:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 12:18:18 AM
And, I'm a huge Outrider fan. Love that saw! 

But everyone has his or her own needs and specs, so I respect your choices. But....it'd be nice to see a 30-day test.  :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 12:29:55 AM
I love that saw too; it's just that I use the ones on my Vics maybe once every few months, whereas a large blade, scissors and cap-lifter get used pretty much every single day. I'm trying to get the maximum utility into the narrowest knife; a Nomad+scissors is something I'd buy in an instant. But of course, even the awesome Nomad is a frustrating experience as they don't make a one-hander without serrations... (Why oh why are they so stingy with OH NS blades!)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:37:09 AM
For sure, I prefer non-serrated blades. But I've become less demanding when it comes to OHO blades. Granted, this is because I have two functional hands. If I had only one hand, I'd be screaming for more OHO knives!

:tu:   :climber:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 02:57:35 PM
Another shot of the scissors, which owe something to the Wenger design of yore.
sunny ruike and climber.jpg
* sunny ruike and climber.jpg (Filesize: 120.75 KB)
Climber-ruike.jpg
* Climber-ruike.jpg (Filesize: 277.45 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:14:46 PM
it's not bad news that it ain't Victorinox, it is a nice knife from a good brand with original designs,  :tu:  not a cheap knockoff or unreliable counterfeit  :rant:  like those seen on eBay and flea markets

I've heard many good things about it  :multi:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 05:24:44 PM
Victorinox can make any number of configurations but are slow to respond.  I guess when you've been in business for as long as they have you don't tend to fool with whats worked.  Lots of modding happens for this very reason.  When I was looking for my perfect SAK it was always discontinued or a mod.  I'm glad you found what you were looking for regardless of brand.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 05:31:56 PM
I have heard good things about Ruike. I even got one of their knives recently, a P801. Good blade, but the all stainless steel liners are a bit heavy for carry. Your post makes me want to try one of their multi tools, but I am still concerned about the weight.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:52 PM
These Ruike knives are looking good! I just put he LD43 on my wish list.
ruike-ld43.jpg
* ruike-ld43.jpg (Filesize: 20.9 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 10:57:25 PM
I looked at that one too, Ron - anything to avoid boring old black G10! - but I really wanted scissors!

If they can shave a few grams off the weight while making the scales a little more comfortable, these could give Vic a real run for their money.
What's weird is that there are very, very few choices out there... there are countless companies churning out knives of all sorts but very few decent alternatives to the kind of thing Victorinox does so well.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 10:22:49 AM
At one point there was a prototype of the Mike Horn with scissors. they teased us with a picture, but no such variant ever made it into the wild AFAIK.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69