Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Build your own Spartan in VIC shop

gb Offline BePrepared

Build your own Spartan in VIC shop
on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:05 PM
London, UK, has a Victronix Flagship store on Bond Street.  I found out they have a knife assembly option in-store.  I enquired and found out that:
  • the only knife you can build is a Spartan red with classic plastic scale
  • a speSmurfpillst will guide you through the process
  • takes around 30 minutes, and costs £35
  • I think that includes some sort of engraving, but not sure
  • should call ahead to book a slot, and mornings are less busy
  • you cannot add or swap with extras like the Phillips driver or scissors --- they don't have the spare parts to use, nor can they provide spare parts
  • they can repair SAKs, but this is limited to replacing: scales on SAK classic, toothpick, or tweezers
  • other deeper repairs or maintenance require shipping to Switzerland, and can take 3 months

For £35 I'm tempted to try, just to say I made a SAK.... but I really wanted to build an Alox Pioneer....

us Offline garza_andrew

Re: Build your own Spartan in VIC shop
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:37:23 PM
London, UK, has a Victronix Flagship store on Bond Street.  I found out they have a knife assembly option in-store.  I enquired and found out that:
  • a speSmurfpillst will guide you through the process
  • takes around 30 minutes, and costs £35
  • I think that includes some sort of engraving, but not sure
  • should call ahead to book a slot, and mornings are less busy
  • you cannot add or swap with extras like the Phillips driver or scissors --- they don't have the spare parts to use, nor can they provide spare parts
  • they can repair SAKs, but this is limited to replacing: scales on SAK classic, toothpick, or tweezers
  • other deeper repairs or maintenance require shipping to Switzerland, and can take 3 months

For £35 I'm tempted to try, just to say I made a SAK.... but I really wanted to build an Alox Pioneer....

I did a Spartan build her in the states at the Mall of America. If you build it yourself you'll get a etched blade and you can also purchase other colored scales to use instead of the standard red scales. I recommend it to any collector or anyone who wants to see how they are made in person.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:42:45 PM
Stinky of them to confine you to a Spartan! With red scales, no less.(If they had a stack of exclusive scale colours to chose from it would be absolutely worth it.)
For 35 quid I'd let someone else build the darn thing - And while they're at it they can add scissors and less boring scales. Of course, you can't entertain your grandchildren with "I built this penknife all by myself!" stories but it'd be worth it to avoid buying yet another red Spartan.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:53:06 PM
I make mine at home.  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:35:24 PM
So.... for £35 should I build a plain Spartan or buy a Pioneer?  I'm seriously thinking of visiting the London VIC shop later this week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:43:41 PM
Use it to buy a mess of broken SAKs and go crazy with the home modding. ;) 8)

Is paying £20 for the privilege of making a £15 Spartan worth it to you? You must figure out how you feel about that before deciding on a course of action.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 12:18:45 AM

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:53 AM

They don't have other layer parts, but what if you bring your own? Would they let you make your own mod?
It'd be interesting to find out.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 02:55:27 AM
Man, thats a lot of money to diy a tool that costs around the same retail, I fail to understand this concept  :think: If they gave you option to mix and match tools and scales I would love to make my own custom sak, but the way they have it set up is very odd.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:38:37 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:19:09 AM
Man, thats a lot of money to diy a tool that costs around the same retail, I fail to understand this concept  :think: If they gave you option to mix and match tools and scales I would love to make my own custom sak, but the way they have it set up is very odd.

By restricting the operation to one option/choice (is it really a choice if you have only one option ? ) they keep things simpler for themselves, only have to keep one lot of parts, and reduce the chance of an assembly error.  This is all about convenience for the seller, not buyer choice. 

Of course the buyer does have other options ie don't buy anything at all, buy something else, or buy from a custom maker that will let you have exactly what you want (if it is physically possible and you are prepared to pay for it).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:25 AM
By restricting the operation to one option/choice (is it really a choice if you have only one option ? ) they keep things simpler for themselves,...

Yes, I think this is a reason for lack of choice.  They only need to tool-up for one model, and keep a small number of different parts.  Assembly will be easier, and there will be less chance of the customer making a mess.

I think I'll skip making my own standard Spartan, and go into the shop and fondle  ::) some Pioneers, and maybe pick up one..... or look into getting parts to try to make a Pioneer myself (I would like Alox black 2 layers, scissors in one layer, and the short electrician sheepfoot blade and the short pruner blade, on the other layer, if possible....   :drool: )

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:54 AM
I made one in Geneva but they had a special VIP event so they were offering the service for free.

A few notes:
- You have to book a slot in advance. They may be accommodating if you're a tourist and you're "only there tomorrow" but usually try to book it 1 week in advance to be on the safe side.
- You can definitely buy your own scales in the store and put whatever scale you want (I bought wooden scales for mine). Maybe you can bring your own in. If you do put other scales, ask them for the red scales because they owe them to you :)
- The process takes 15 to 30 minutes and one of the store's experts is dedicated to you. (hence the price)
- The blade has "self-assembled" etched on it.
- I asked them if one could make something else than a Spartan and they explained that the bench you use to assemble the Spartan is specifically calibrated to build a Spartan. I assume if you wanted to put a pruning blade instead of the can opener for example and that the spring is compatible you may be able to do so... if they let you. But no way to make a 3 layer knife with it for example.
- I really liked the whole process. I'm no modder (yet!) so that probably helped but still... I would've happily paid for the experience of building my own in their special benches. This thing is very well thought out and might give ideas to modders using a simpler ways to assemble their knives.
- The knife you build there is not covered by Victorinox's warranty because they didn't assemble it.
- The peening is tricky but it's not as bad as I was expecting. I've seen others fail very badly tough and ending up with tools that are extremely hard to open.
- In Switzerland it's around CHF 35.- so definitely a bit cheaper than £35
- Don't see it as purchasing a knife. See it like buying a ticket to visit a factory or something, it's more of an experience and you get to keep the souvenir.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:51:16 PM
I did a Spartan build her in the states at the Mall of America. If you build it yourself you'll get a etched blade and you can also purchase other colored scales to use instead of the standard red scales. I recommend it to any collector or anyone who wants to see how they are made in person.

I've always wanted to do this, too.  Unfortunately it looks like the Mall of America store is closed and gone.  I went in February of this year and there was no trace of it... 

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 12:24:02 PM
DO IT!!!

I did one with my son earlier this year in Brunnen. The best day of our holidays. You get the choice of a Spartan or a Tinker. You can also add engraving on the scales.

Pete
IMG-20180425-WA0013.jpeg
* IMG-20180425-WA0013.jpeg (Filesize: 131.37 KB)
IMG-20180425-WA0104.jpeg
* IMG-20180425-WA0104.jpeg (Filesize: 143.99 KB)
IMG-20180425-WA0106.jpeg
* IMG-20180425-WA0106.jpeg (Filesize: 143.57 KB)

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:34:19 PM
Went to London shop this morning. No slots available today, and only Spartan may be built. But nice displays, lots of knives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 01:08:10 PM
The single model is also a way of avoiding insurance problems. They reduce the number of variables and operations. No surprises, easier to control the whole process.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline garza_andrew

Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 05:48:16 PM
Even though I could only build a spartan I enjoyed the whole process. They did let me put different scales on my build which really help personalize it.
SAK 2.jpg
* SAK 2.jpg (Filesize: 14.11 KB)

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:16 PM
Here's some pics from some of the display cases.  Not all these models are listed on the UK Victorinox website (or have different names).  E.g. Alox Double, Swiss Army 6, Pioneer L, all with the pruner/hawksbill blade.

Although not shown in the pics, I was surprised at how small is the Alox Minichamp.  They also have the Rambler in the shop.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 06:39:07 PM
Just for the experience of how Victorinox
build the Spartan and the engraving on the
Blade with your own message has got
to be worth the money  :cheers:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!