Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Subaru Outback owners here?

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Any Subaru Outback owners here?
on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:51 AM
So today I blew about a grand repairing my '05 Ford Explorer that stalled out on me on the way home from work yesterday.   I have really enjoyed this vehicle and hate to part with it but it's got 149k miles on it and has become somewhat of a money pit the last couple of years.  So I've come to the decision that it's time to replace it.  Now ideally I'd like to get a 4Runner or other midsize SUV but my accountant, er wife, has assured me that such a vehicle is not in our budget unless I want something with about the same miles on it as what I've got.

So, I've spent the day browsing cars online and have started to stongly consider a Subaru Outback.  I've known a few Subaru owners over the years and most have seemed pleased with vehicles overall.  I'm wondering if anyone here has an Outback, or any Subaru, and can share their thoughts.  Also wondering if I should go with the 2.5 or the 3.6 engine.  The 2.5 seems to be much more common and more affordable.   My max budget is going to be right at 20k.  I won't be doing much, if any, towing.  It's pretty flat around where I live but I do travel into the mountains of West Virginia somewhat regularly and would like to have enough off road capability to handle rough dirt roads and a few mud puddles.  Nothing major.   I'm also after reliability.   I've had my fill of writing checks to mechanic for a while.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:28:33 AM by clown »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Re: Any Subaru Outback owners here?
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:19:30 AM
G'Day,

We have had the 2.5 model for a tad over two years. It is a fantastic car. Solidly built and goes when it is pointed at. We have taken it on the beach a few times, up to the snow and lots of out of the way places. Not once have we been stuck or had ANY issues with the car. It has 39,000 kms on it. I don't often drive it, it belongs to the Mrs, but when I do, I really enjoy it. Lots of boot space and rear passenger room. my kids are 14 and 16 and fit in very comfortably. The rear seats can lean back a little too. I have towed a trailer a few times but with a light load only.

If it was my choice and my car I would have chosen the diesel as it is the only engine with a manual gearbox. I am far to young for an auto. In saying that the auto is just fine.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It is also a TRUE four wheel drive.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 02:02:11 PM
G'Day,

We have had the 2.5 model for a tad over two years. It is a fantastic car. Solidly built and goes when it is pointed at. We have taken it on the beach a few times, up to the snow and lots of out of the way places. Not once have we been stuck or had ANY issues with the car. It has 39,000 kms on it. I don't often drive it, it belongs to the Mrs, but when I do, I really enjoy it. Lots of boot space and rear passenger room. my kids are 14 and 16 and fit in very comfortably. The rear seats can lean back a little too. I have towed a trailer a few times but with a light load only.

If it was my choice and my car I would have chosen the diesel as it is the only engine with a manual gearbox. I am far to young for an auto. In saying that the auto is just fine.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It is also a TRUE four wheel drive.

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks for you thoughts Pete! Glad to hear a positive review. Wish there was a diesel option available here.  Going to test drive a couple later today.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:44:08 AM
I had a Subaru Legacy Spec B for lots of years. (Basically same car as an outback but with less ground clearance and stiffer setup). Really, really great on icy roads and slippery conditions. I've driven lots of cars, and I bought it for that very reason. And it did its most important last job perfectly, and I could walk away without a scratch from a carnage of a collision. :tu:

Edit: I liked the car so well that I actually planned on just go on driving it till it fell apart. Never got that far though.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:46:27 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 07:12:58 AM
I test drove them two years ago, the 2.5 is adequate, highway passing power is a bit lacking and needs planning instead of just punch and go. 3.6 is much more smoother but not particularly quick. Very comfy highway cruiser, good seats and relatively soft suspension, interior is quite nice, and cargo space is huge. I ended up with a Forester though since I prefer something firmer.

The 3.6 will be gone in 2020 redesign, and will either not have a high power option or use the 2.4 turbo, so if you like 6 bangers this is your last chance (and it's an older design that's pretty bulletproof).

Be careful with Subaru AWD though, it's so damn good the car just goes in any condition, completely mask the lack of traction, until you need to stop or turn.  :D

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:17:16 AM
Well I went and did it today.  Is there a Subaru owners merit badge I can get? :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%