Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buying spares... for your spares

Offline cypher

Buying spares... for your spares
on: July 01, 2018, 11:13:47 AM
So how many spares is enough for you guys ???

I have a spreadsheet for tracking the numbers with my favorite models and stock multiple spares of everything.

When they were discontinuing Ecoline and 108 mm models I bought a bunch, sometimes even 10 pieces of everything  :facepalm: aaand some scales.
Then they were discontinuing the slide lock 111mm models (I don't like the liner lock ones that much), so you know the drill, few pieces of that and that because they were on a clearance and I had a coupon for some online shop that had them.
After finding good source for Alox models I bought multiples too (well you know they might discontinue them too... or something  :facepalm:)
And then I added models that are not so important for me but I can get them for a good price (some branded ones with company logos).

And now they are changing the Cadet nail file and I reallly really like and use this tool often and the new one is reportedly not so great so...  and I can't find any sale on them here so I will be looking at paying full price but what can I do (I have 5 on stock).
I think I will be buying few knives every month to stock the models I really like (well truth be told I'm not that far off from my goal because I'm buying SAK-s for the last few tears and checking for good deals pretty much daily).

I know I'm not reasonable (I'm a collector so yeah) and well, maybe you will make me feel better by showing your bucket of spares, I know I'm not the only one here that has more SAK-s than some small shops :D

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: Buying spares... for your spares
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:52:40 PM
I hear the Shameless Shelf Queen thread calling your name...  ;-)

I have a couple spares, but I think you might have been by the bug rather hard, my friend. 

Good luck,

Myron

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 05:30:25 PM
There are reports that the new Cadet file is bad? I had not heard this! I love the Cadet and was looking forward to trying out a new and improved file. Can anyone link me to these negative reports about the new file?

Offline cypher

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:03:25 PM
Last post in this topic is not very optimistic about it, its only one person but still from the looks of it I would prefer the old one, I have no use for it other than my nails:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77662.0.html?PHPSESSID=2cmafs97u4q8adpu1lli1qf1h7

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:16:01 PM
I think you should get your hands on one of the new ones and see for yourself before going into a panic.
And if you have an Executive, that's the type of file that Vic is changing to.
- Steve

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:10 AM
I generally like to have at least 2 of all my user models ( 2 Tinkers, 2 Spartans, 2 Tourists, 2 Small Tinkers, 2 Hikers, 2 Campers, 2 Pioneers, 2 Cadets and 4 Climbers). I still need to get a second Farmer.  I only have one each of the Huntsman and Fieldmaster but they are essentially the same. :climber:
Perception is reality

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 04:58:37 AM
This reminds me of the time Coca-Cola annouced they would change its recipe and people would stock up their basements with crates of Coca-Cola bottles.*  :P

But yeah I can relate to it. I buy doubles when a knife is cheap and I know it won't still be in production for long.
When I visited an old knife maker in Sicily who makes a specific regional knife (the last knife maker remaining in the small town) three years ago, I bought 5 of his knives (in two different sizes).

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:03:30 AM by shadowrider »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69