Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone broken the tang using a flat screwdriver/ prying bar on a Spirit?

Vidar · 23 · 1006

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
In my little feature poll in the general forum a prying bar keeps getting mentioned, and I would like one personally too. My worry though is that having a prying bar is asking for abuse. I might be wrong or too pessimistic about that though, so some real life experiences might help. And as I'm hesitant to break my only Spirit I'll try asking here instead.

I figure the weak spot for a (stiff enough) prying bar is at the tang. The Spirit certainly has an unusually thick flat screwdriver/ prying bar, so that is stiff. My question then is has anyone broken the tang area or made it sloppy when using a the Spirit for prying?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Ah, smurf it. I'll just put that tip in a vise, cross my fingers, and do my worst..  :ahhh
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Ah, smurf it. I'll just put that tip in a vise, cross my fingers, and do my worst..  :ahhh
Nooooooooo....  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I've pried the hell out of it and hasn't broken or bent yet  :salute:

IME the most common failure point is the pivot which can easily get bent and deformed when applying force at the far end of the flathead/prybar/tool, especially if the pivot or rivet is made of softer materials (aluminum, brass, etc.) but those in the Spirit are thick and made of tough material  :like:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:01:11 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
So, using my lack of better sense, I did try to bend the prying thing on a Spirit by putting the end in a wise and basically pulling the handle sideways from that. To increase leverage I decided that unfolding the handles was a good idea.

So first bend one way while dragging what I can with one hand (needed the other for the camera), then the same the other way, and finally self- release and drag with two hands.. At that point I'm kicking off too so I assume it is about the same as putting the tip in a little crack on a wall and hang my body weight from the handle.

IMG_8375_Spirit.jpg
* IMG_8375_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 124.93 KB)
IMG_8383_Spirit.jpg
* IMG_8383_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 135.56 KB)
IMG_8386_Spirit.jpg
* IMG_8386_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 183.2 KB)
IMG_8393_Spirit.jpg
* IMG_8393_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 181.17 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
I measured the Spirit pivot rivet length before and after these prying actions. No difference whatsoever - 14.27mm before I started, and 14.27mm after. So the rivet is doing fine. And it still folds back perfectly - which given the Spirits low tolerances means it is unaffected and utterly unimpressed by my pull power.

That was both impressive and reassuring!

Anyone know the diameter of that pivot rivet?
IMG_8374_Spirit.jpg
* IMG_8374_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 111.52 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
 :o :o :o

That took some guts, that did :salute:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Wow! That is impressive :hatsoff: for having the guts to do that!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing... next up how long has the tube have to be to increase leverage :P
:tu: Happy with that result.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing... next up how long has the tube have to be to increase leverage :P
:tu: Happy with that result.

I was quite happy too! :D Much respect to Victorinox - that thing is proper tough, and they did make the investment in space and weight to make it so.

The handle does flex so the tool provides plenty of feedback that going further isn't a great idea. In normal use I would have stopped long before that.

Of course I can manage to break it at some point somehow if I want to, but for me it was enough to see that it can take lots of human powered abuse without a trace.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:35:04 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

england Offline Kev D

I measured the Spirit pivot rivet length before and after these prying actions. No difference whatsoever - 14.27mm before I started, and 14.27mm after. So the rivet is doing fine. And it still folds back perfectly - which given the Spirits low tolerances means it is unaffected and utterly unimpressed by my pull power.

Hiraethus will probably know the diameter,  he's put a clip one of his so has replaced one of the rivets.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
 :like: :cheers: GUTSY and IMPRESIVE!
I wonder just how much force could be put on the Swiss Tool Pry tool.  :pok: :pok:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :whistle:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

Hiraethus will probably know the diameter,  he's put a clip one of his so has replaced one of the rivets.

:salute:  The pliers pivot is 4mm, but I don't know the size of the one at the other end for sure.  The head looks to be the same size, so I would say it's also 4mm, but I'm just guessing.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Oh, and I think the pivots on the Spirit are nickel silver.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Thank you :tu: That is interesting to know as a reference. I might be able to stick a feeler gouge in between the tools and get the diameter fairly well that way.

The right kind and size of steel for the purpose tend to take a lot more abuse than one would think. I'm still impressed by that one though!

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
:dwts:  :hatsoff:

This is me ^^

Nice to know it could take a fair amount of stress.   
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Thank you :tu: That is interesting to know as a reference. I might be able to stick a feeler gouge in between the tools and get the diameter fairly well that way.

The right kind and size of steel for the purpose tend to take a lot more abuse than one would think. I'm still impressed by that one though!

you could always send an e-mail to Victorinox or ask on their Facebook page,  :think:
they tend to be very helpful providing that kind of information  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
:dwts:  :hatsoff:

This is me ^^

Nice to know it could take a fair amount of stress.

+1  :ahhh

I'm happy to see the positive outcome, though! I knew they were tough, but that was some serious deflection off nominal.  Pretty amazing it returned to zero with no play in the joint. Hats off to vidar and vic  :hatsoff:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Well done.  The Spirit shrugged off that abuse!

:cheers:
- Terry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

Very impressive test Vidar! :like: :tu: :tu: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD