Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

x-tool

Offline daveim21

x-tool
on: November 25, 2008, 09:53:49 PM
hey, can anybody make a tool with two crossing bars in an x-shape between the handles? this keeps the handles parallel and multiplies the gripping power by like 5 times. I made a LEGO prototype, but it got destroyed...
:

Offline daveim21

Re: x-tool
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:54:47 PM
any replies? I know, it probably requires some modding of the plier head too, or maybe an entirely new tool, but somebody should be able to do it.
:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:21 AM
I actually think that it isnt the tool in question but the question of the tool. I for one am haveing a difficult time seeing in my head what you mean. Any way you could sKetch something aout for us, or show an example?
S

Offline daveim21

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:15:34 AM
y'know those iron boards with the crossing bars underneath that hold them up? the way tose are made, the top is always parallel to the ground. 'xcept it's the two handles, not the top and the ground.
:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:18:29 AM
OH I get it now you want Parallel jaws pliers like the gunsmiths use. Nope the animal dont exist yet, but give them some time and maybe some emails to the companies!! I would work well for gripping by allowing the tool to have more contact with the bolt or whatever.

I actually think SOG would be the closest to being able to make Parallel jaws without retooling.
S

Offline daveim21

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:40 AM
I said I made a lego model, right? well, you only have to squeeze the handles 1/4" for the pliers to fully close. talk about compound leverage! and the gap between the pliers was about 1 1/2". I even made it so it could fold up like a leatherman.
:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 12:23:52 AM
Well then what I would do is kinda look into a patent improvement kinda thing. What you want hasnt been done yet and really is kinda cool!
S

Offline daveim21

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:46 AM
there's one problem, though. One end of both intersecting bars must be attatched to the corresponding handle, but the other end has to be somehow secured so it stays connected to the handle but slides down the handle. The problem there is that those ends have to be able to detach somehow or the device will not be able to close.
:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:18 AM
Perhaps something like the Crunch?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:42:50 AM
Good Idea but still not Parallel jaws. I actually would love to see true Parallel jaws.
S

Offline daveim21

Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:45:19 AM
no, I wasn't thinking about parralell jaws, but that is an idea.
:

Offline daveim21

Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:09:25 PM
you see, the changing angle formed by the jaws and the handles is partly responsible for the compound leverage.
:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:24:18 PM
From a physics point of view the compound leverage is a very clever construction, transforming the plier jaw into a double pulley/lever combination, essentially doubling the force exerted by the user... (did that make any sense?)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:59 PM
And also add in the Parellel jaws and the force is pread out more even. Thus less slippage.

Hey bob. Go build us this tool.
S

Offline daveim21

Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:27 PM
not quite...
why the power is increased is simple. Because the handles are parallel, the angle made by the handles and the plier head changes. Because of that change, the plier head is pushed slightly farther away from the handles, which also closes the pliers. But that alone only multitplies the force by 2, or maybe three... I'll do the math and get back to you.

and by the way, with the parallel jaws the force is not multiplied because what I described above does not take place. I already e-mailed both Leatherman and SOG.
:

Offline daveim21

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 04:05:39 AM
well, here's a pair of parallel pliers with parallel jaws I found, that also have compound leverage: http://www.contenti.com/products/pliers/360-361.html
:

Offline daveim21

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 04:08:35 AM
unfortunately, there's a patent for this design.
:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD