Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All things paddling

eamo · 140 · 6199

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: All things paddling
Reply #120 on: July 31, 2021, 12:09:43 AM
Those are superb Boss.  :tu:  Ain't technology a marvel?  :D
:iagree:

I didn't realise that could be done on YouTube.
Was it really that dark or is that a limitation with the camera?

Have you seen Outback's 360° Camera thread?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #121 on: July 31, 2021, 12:10:58 AM
Nothing spectacular but had my daughter out for a paddle earlier this year.  Inflatables are even easier with the addition of child labour.  :D
Good stuff.  :tu:
How was it for her kneeling?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #122 on: July 31, 2021, 11:48:53 AM
I did some brief testing with a cheap 360 camera a couple of times I went out.  There's not much there, but it is kinda cool to be able to see all around!

Def

Awesome stuff!!  :2tu:

Wished there were kayaks made for wider folk in the 400# range. I know, lose weight, been trying to do that for years. Only way I lost weight was in the hospital, then gained it all back.  :cry:

Some sort of portable water craft, but locally all we have are smelly rivers. Would have to drive a long ways to a lake. Least I have a recumbent trike. I like your 360 camera too.  :cheers:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #123 on: July 31, 2021, 11:54:14 AM

It's a camera hardware (or firmware) issue. In order to post to various sites they only accept "raw" footage. Not sure if there is some software that is capable of using enhanced/colorized videos/photos and put them back into whatever makes sites see them at 360° videos or photos. If enhanced and posted it looks bad.
¬ Outback in Idaho

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #124 on: July 31, 2021, 02:07:31 PM
Good stuff.  :tu:
How was it for her kneeling?

She's fine with it.  IMO it is one of the limitations of the inflatable boats; even with a double ended paddle it can be tricky working over the gunwale from a low seat.  With a single paddle it's even harder.   
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #125 on: August 02, 2021, 01:43:19 AM

Probably a limitation with the camera.

https://www.360fly.com/360fly-4k.html

It's an older camera, and it's slightly larger than a golf ball, with a single lense at the top.  Since it is pointed right up at the sky I imagine it takes in a lot of light and that washes everything else out?

Once I get into the tree cover it isn't quite as dark looking.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #126 on: August 02, 2021, 09:44:13 AM
  Have you tried covering a smaller area of where it points directly up, or put a single sun glass lens portion over TDC?

If you had a bracket sticking out onside, mount it upside down?
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #127 on: August 02, 2021, 12:49:36 PM
  Have you tried covering a smaller area of where it points directly up, or put a single sun glass lens portion over TDC?

If you had a bracket sticking out onside, mount it upside down?

I've thought of some kind of shade on top, but then it would be part of the video.

You can point the device in any direction- it doesn't have to be vertical, but remember that the camera is only filming in the direction it is pointed.  With the videos above, it can't see straight down.  If you point it forwards, it won't see what is directly behind you.

In my case, I wanted to be able to see Megan in the video, even when she wasn't directly in front of me, like I have to do with my GoPros.  She was always coming in and out of the shot, and whenever cool stuff like waves hit her boat, she was rarely on film.  With this camera, she can continue to go wherever she likes and I'll still have her in frame if something interesting happens.

There are somewhat better cameras on the market, but as you know, the price of this one was hard to argue with!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #128 on: August 08, 2021, 09:41:17 PM
Sooooo......

This happened today.  Completely unexpected.

I've been wanting a canoe for a while, and I have been holding off specifically for a Sports Pal.  I spotted this one for a good price on FB Marketplace and I sent it to Megan to see.  I had no intention of buying it.

She insisted we go check it out, probably to shut me up from saying how much I want one all the time. 

Conveniently it is located an hour away.  With thunderstorms forecasted for today, we don't know what else to do, so we go and check it out, figuring it will at least be a nice drive.

As you can see, it came home with us.

It's an 11 foot Sports Pal, which I didn't even know existed.  I thought the smallest they made was a 12 foot one.

As to why I wanted one of these... they are made in North Bay, Ontario, about six hours east of Chako's place, four hours west of Ottawa and four hours east of my parent's place.   The hull is formed from thin sheet aluminum, making the 11 foot canoe weigh just over 30 pounds, and my parents had a Sports Pal when I was growing up.  I learned to paddle in one of these boats and I learned how to control a boat motor in one of these boats.

It is also very versatile, as it has oar locks, so in addition to paddling it like a regular canoe, you can row it as well.

Now I have one of my own, and according to the serial number, this one was made in 1990.  It needs a little work, but I am thrilled to add it to the Lamontagne Fleet!

Def
16284508648390.jpg
* 16284508648390.jpg (Filesize: 57.76 KB)
16284509012021.jpg
* 16284509012021.jpg (Filesize: 292.51 KB)

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: August 08, 2021, 10:00:22 PM
That's awlsome boss! Congrats on your find

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #130 on: August 08, 2021, 10:13:15 PM
I am very seriously filled with envy Boss.  That looks like an awesome wee boat.  8)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #131 on: August 08, 2021, 10:24:05 PM
It is pretty wee alright!  I didn't know they made anything under 12 feet, but here it is, all of 11 feet long!

I'll have to do some research on it and see if it was a special model issued for certain retailers or something.  I don't see a lot about it online- everything seems to revolve around 12, 14 and 16 foot models.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: August 08, 2021, 10:34:45 PM
In case anyone is curious about it:

http://www.sportspalcanoes.com/

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #133 on: August 09, 2021, 12:29:07 AM
Nice! I guess this makes you a Canoedian?  :think:

I learned to paddle in one of these boats and I learned how to control a boat motor in one of these boats.
So you can add a small motor?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #134 on: August 09, 2021, 01:07:04 AM
A true Canadian can do virtually anything in a canoe.

Yes, even that.

And that.

And especially that.

As for a motor, yes, there are mounts designed to attach to any canoe for a motor.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #135 on: August 09, 2021, 06:00:46 AM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #136 on: August 09, 2021, 10:58:18 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: August 09, 2021, 11:55:42 PM
Canoodling.  ::)

You legally cannot call yourself a Canadian if you haven't.

Def

Reply #138 on: August 11, 2021, 05:23:49 AM
  Congrats on the new canoe. So you can actually do THAT in a canoe?? Hmm... would be afraid of tipping over from the, erm, motivated waves. Reminds me of waterbeds. So miss those! :pok:

Seen a 360 of a fella on an HP Velotecnic that shows clear around his recumbent trike. Had to been mounted above the headrest. But if a 360 Fly is up that high, an it see down and around okay? Don't have one to tinker with yet. Was looking at a Theta SC2, but they are obnoxious looking dual camera systems. Cannot imagine trying to record too long of a video with one.

How does yours attach to the kayak, and soon this canoe? I've got a canoe camera are I have to review yet. Nothing to attach there save maybe a GoPro Black 6, or a digital camera. IQUI does not have a tripod mount yet, and it does not do videos very well. The stitching is seriously bad on videos. Fusion is getting cheaper, but that Ricoh Theta SC2 seems to have a lot going for it and can go under water too, with enhanced view in multiple scenarios.

Ever kayak over one of them whale sharks yet??  :o
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #139 on: August 11, 2021, 07:35:06 PM
I try to avoid large creatures in the water.... how many bugs have you stepped on today without even noticing?   :ahhh

The 360Fly actually fits standard tripod mounts, so it will sit nicely on any normal camera equipment you have, plus it comes with a GoPro adaptor mount that allows it to fit on any GoPro style mount too.

I have used one of the sticky GoPro feet to attach it to my kayak, then have the adaptor stick to that.  I had thought maybe I'd want it higher  but I'm actually quite pleased with the level it is at now, which is about two inches off the boat.

I'll post a pic of the actual attachment setup when I get home.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%