Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can Opener Comparison 5956

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,163 Born to multitask.
Re: Can Opener Comparison
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
Grand Harvest GHK2/Bibury 13 in 1
Left-handed

0 points.

The can opener is still too far deep in the handle to hook onto the rim. It is marginally better than right-handed, as it will barely hook onto, instead of not hooking on at all.
As awkward as it is for a right-handed person to try and use this abomination left-handed, it does not stop there. As it barely hooks onto the rim, the cutting orientation is thrown off.
Initial piercing is comically bad. First you have to get the can opener to hook and find a proper spot to pierce, which is itself tedious. Actually punching through is not easy, despite having a decently sharpened edge. The cutting angle will be off, the ergonomics are bad, it is left-handed, it can slip off at any minute, and it is not piercing as close to the rim as possible. Everything combined to make the first cut a very frustrating experience.

Advancing from one cut to the next is also not easy. All issues present in the initial cut will apply to all cuts. Due to the force required to keep the can opener in place, so it does not slip, the rim may bend inwards, interfering even more with the cutting orientation. After the second or third cut, it was impossible to continue on the same route. I had to start with a new initial piercing.

If you have the time, patience, and like pain or have gloves on, you could actually open the can. The cutting edge is sharp and will not create shrapnel.

Using this was interesting. The shape is fine, the edge is actually sharpened, and the hook is also well shaped to theoretically grab onto the rim. As good as it looks, it is yet another example of companies just going with a shape that seems it would work, but not actually using it to see if it it will work.

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2019, 01:37:50 PM »
This is the same exact issue the Roxon Storm had (and not the only similarity they share. More on that later).
Show content
Roxon Storm
Out of the box, the can opener was unable to hook onto the rim. Ergonomics, sharpness, ease of use, nothing matters. You will only be able to open ring-pull cans with this. If it's a classic can, this is not the answer.

0 points.
(Image removed from quote.)

Roxon Storm (modded)
I swapped places of the can opener and cord cutter. The can opener is now functional, though pretty average.

0 points for punching through. Not easy, as the piercing point is quite blunt.
1 for comfort. Stayed in hand, did not hurt enough to stop. Scale edge still dug into my hand.
2 for not jamming.
1 for cutting. It could have a sharper edge with more of an angle to it. Consistent cut, though it left jagged, sharp edges.
2 for not slipping. The hook is at least better designed than the rest of it, and it stayed on the can rim.
Total: 6
(Image removed from quote.)

Same problem, although the GHK2 can opener is sharpened.
Same solution: swap the can opener and serrated blade positions, to bring the can opener next to the blade, closer to the edge of the handle, so that it will hook onto the rim right-handed.
However, this mod is not easy.
First of all, the backsprings are amazingly strong. Even if you mod the can opener to go next to the blade, it will not unfold easily. When I tried to unfold it with my finger-nail, my finger-nail split in two, while the can opener remained folded, probably laughing at me.

Also, the mod itself is not as easy as it was with the Roxon Storm. The main issue with the mod is that you cannot just unscrew the handle, take out the implements, and put them back in the order you want. The backsprings will be in the way, and you will have to push them back to make room for the implements to drop in.

This was quite easy to do with the Storm. I put it in a vise, with a bolt pushing back the backsprings, and dropped the implements in place, with the can opener where it was supposed to be. And the backsprings are pushed back, but are not flush with the handle on the other side. When they were pushed back, they did not contact the side of the handle that the vise was against.

With the GHK2, the herculean backsprings will be more of a problem, and they are flush with the handle. You can not just put it in a vise and push the backsprings back with a bolt. The bolt will not push against a straight surface either, because these backsprings are angled. Quite a tedious set-up. I will post pictures to illustrate exactly what I am talking about.

I may try this again in the future, just to make the can opener functional, and because I am curious to see how good it will actually be. Probably quite good, since the shape, edge, and hook are ok.

But even then, deploying the can opener requires metallic assistance. Why bother?
Just Bananas Posts: 70,821
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
You would think that they would test
their tools before putting them in their MTs :facepalm:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »
Gerber Multi-Plier

The first company to copy the Victorinox quarter-circle. And what a fine job they did. Not quite as sharp, different bevel angles, not polished, but equally capable.

It is positioned perfectly to engage with the can, with the hook and edge at the perfect position to function. It pierced very easily through the rim, and it was so easy to advance, tracing around the lid, that I had reached the half-way point before remembering to take a picture.

Superb ergonomics, akin to the Rebar. No blade spines or sharp edges to dig into my hand, and a nice compact body to hold onto. The plier screws and buttons were not noticeable at all.
Cutting was excellent. Not as graceful a result as I get with Leatherman claws, but still consistent. The quarter-circle will make shorter individual cuts than a Leatherman claw, but the cutting is very easy, consistent, and comfortable.
I never slipped off the lid, advancing beautifully from one cut to the next. It never jammed, and the lack of a locking mechanism was irrelevant.

Looking at the lid, the edge is a little jagged, but you can hardly call it mangled. Comparing its performance to other quarter-circles, it is not far off Victorinox.
It is amazing that that such an old tool got the quarter-circle so right. Opening the can was a breath of fresh air, considering how many old-school multi-tools had below average can openers.
If this is all you have to open a can, then fear not. You can open cans with this all day long.

2 points for punching through.
2 for comfort.
2 for not jamming.
2 for cutting.
2 for not slipping.
Total: 10
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:01:51 AM by ReamerPunch »

Just Bananas Posts: 70,821
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »
Great test  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
And a great can opener! :cheers:
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2020, 05:36:56 PM »
This was too good not to have it in here. Or too bad... :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bdsfO1wmU
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
Here is a nice little video on the Leatherman claw. Great job of filming, as well as opening the can.
It demonstrates not only the proper way to use the claw, but also how easy it is. Look how perfect the cut is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5icKi1jGxo
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »
Some history regarding can openers. This should have been here sooner.
Very interesting seeing all those early abominations compared to the tiny bit of metal it takes to get the job done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6qlXCo6Y
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,789
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »
Great test  :like: :tu:

What Wim says  :like:

Does your Gerber Multiplier can opener look like mine here? A bit skewed?

Formerly known as MTMatt
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,789
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
Here is a nice little video on the Leatherman claw. Great job of filming, as well as opening the can.
It demonstrates not only the proper way to use the claw, but also how easy it is. Look how perfect the cut is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5icKi1jGxo

Nice one  :tu:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »
Does your Gerber Multiplier can opener look like mine here? A bit skewed?

No, mine is straight.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,693 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $86.66
PayPal Fees: $5.67
Net Balance: $80.99
Below Goal: $219.01
Site Currency: USD