Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew-related Question.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Corkscrew-related Question.
on: July 14, 2018, 11:18:56 PM
I really want to use my SAK's corkscrew as intended, but don't consume alcohol.  What non-alcoholic beverages are sold in bottles that require a corkscrew to be opened, and are also somewhat easily found in American grocery stores?    My folks are often given non-alcoholic sparkling juice beverages in wine bottles, but neither used a cork that needed a corkscrew. One was set up to pop out as soon as you removed the wire around the cork, the other used a crown cap (which I used my Fireman's bottle opener on just now).

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Re: Corkscrew-related Question.
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:12:32 AM
Hmm, that's a toughie.  I wonder if maybe there are any olive oils that use corks still?

Good luck.

Myron

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:55:55 AM
Can't really think of anything.  I once bought a bottle of single malt scotch that had a cork, but it had a cap on top of the cork, and it could be removed and inserted fairly easily.  Plus it obviously had alcohol in it.  Other things that used to have a cork had looser fitting corks that didn't require the use of a corkscrew.
Wine seems to be the last thing to use a cork, and less expensive wines use screw tops, or man made "corks" (although those still require a corkscrew).
- Steve

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 02:23:51 AM
The only bottles with corks I can think of that don't contain alcohol are very old wine bottles where wine has turned to vinegar...  :-\
I've seen bottles of olive oil with cork caps, but there the cork is not pressed tight and not meant to be extracted with a corkscrew. The reason for that is that oil doesn't need such an air-tight closure, since there is no vapour (i.e. alcohol) that can evaporate.

Other containers that used tight corks in the past were perfume bottles and medicine bottles. Maybe you can find yourself a bottle of vintage cologne, to be able to use the corkscrew that one time!

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:42:41 AM
It's been years since the last time I used a corkscrew to open a wine or non-alcholic sparkling beverage bottle with a cork.  I pretty much use the corkscrews on my Victorinox and Wenger knives, and Leatherman Juice Pro, to hold a mini screwdriver that does get used from time to time.  I've also used the corkscrew to tighten/loosen some knot work, when I didn't have a marlinspike handy. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:44:41 AM by Stormdrane »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD