Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fasting "Challenge" - Open to All

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fasting "Challenge" - Open to All
Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 03:23:23 PM
I think this might actually play in my hand then since we provide support for a whole group of companies that are in the medical (or at least related to it). In the last month, since I started, there have been at least 35 new hires and more to the point there might be a need to expand the support team by a few more people
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 05:21:59 PM
Is it fasting if you only eat once a day?
 When it gets hot and humid, I will go a couple of days not eating. I don't even feel hungry when it is hot.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 04:50:36 AM
Started my fast at 18:12.

So far so good.........but it's only 20:51....... :-\

hr Offline styx

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 07:46:45 AM
good luck Nix

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 09:08:38 AM
I think this might actually play in my hand

I hope so for your sake my friend, everything I specialized in no longer exists. As you get older and more expensive you can't afford to loose focus for a second.
My crystal ball tells me Moore's Law is just going to run away with us.
I often wonder about the choices in my career, but just recently my last decision was at least proven right....but it was blind luck.....I spent the last two years thinking I'd made the wrong choice.

Now at least I know I'm in my last "technology" job.
TBH I'm not terribly upset  :rofl:

Topic derailment OVER!  :rofl:

probably holding until Thursday for the next fasting day, tomorrow I might have to have lunch with company  :ahhh

Anybody got to try it yet?  :cheers:

A friend of a friend and his sons dropped by yesterday after work, one of the lighties wants to start making knives and came for some advice and inspiration........they only left 20:30........not when I want to have dinner.  :facepalm:

I'm starting this afternoon, then hopefully I can get a ways into the process over the weekend......  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 03:02:48 PM
Just a small black coffee this morning.  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 03:13:12 PM
Been meaning to ask.......multi-vitamins early in the morning....does that break the fast?

This is occasional, if I feel something coming I hammer myself with Vit C

What might an issue is Cayenne Pepper capsules.....two in the evening and one in the morning....almost a religion with me....

hr Offline styx

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 03:17:25 PM
day 4 - as i've suspected this place is not deserted. it isn't even desserted. the natives seem docile for now

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 03:18:12 PM
I wouldn't think that would break a fast from a diet/nutrition perspective. Perhaps it would violate a religious fast, though.

For what it's worth: the recent studies I've seen suggest that extra vitamin C doesn't help the immune system. Excessive vitamin C is now thought to be harmful.

I don't think I ever make it through a meal without some cayenne or a chile of some sort.  :drool:

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:44 PM
.....the Cayenne is a good source of Vitamin C as well.

I hear you, seen similar reports but it does seem to help.....I've had 3 close calls this winter so far and haven't been caught.

Most things I eat end up red with Cayenne pepper.

I'm Pastafarian so no religious considerations.......

The question is whether or not something you consume sends you brain the signal that it must now start processing.......that's what we're looking to avoid.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 03:54:41 PM
I suspect you're fine with the pepper capsules.

They aren't going to increase insulin levels in any significant way.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 05:09:14 PM
Been meaning to ask.......multi-vitamins early in the morning....does that break the fast?

look at the box/label/ingredients.

I have two mulit-vitamins, one uses maltodextrin as a bulking agent, so it's not valid (maltodextrin has 4 calories per gram, the tab is 4 grams in weight of which 3/4ths are maltodextrin, that is 12 calories, so it breaks the fast  :ahhh). This is the most common bulking agent found in sweeteners, such as the aspartame/saccharin bags that you put on your coffee instead of sugar  :P

The other one is a multi-vitamin and also has some minerals in it, it uses Inulin and some type of IMOs for bulk and as a base, so it also has calories but much less than the first one, yet it still is inadequate to maintain a fast  :oops:

there are some brands and styles that are effectively calorie-free, but it is of the essence that you read the ingredients to make sure,  :pok:
I can help you in that with a pic or description of all the ingredients and components of your particular one,  :cheers: as there are other bulking agents and substances under lots of different names that also yield calories upon consumption   :salute:

Finally, if it is not a necessity to take them at that hour, you can wait until you break the fast to take them with your meal  :tu:

Is it fasting if you only eat once a day?
 When it gets hot and humid, I will go a couple of days not eating. I don't even feel hungry when it is hot.

that would be IF (Intermittent Fasting) if you enclose all your eating of that day in a 4-6 hour window and not before or afterwards, until next day  ;)

For what it's worth: the recent studies I've seen suggest that extra vitamin C doesn't help the immune system. Excessive vitamin C is now thought to be harmful.

as a person truly interested in nutrition and diet, most (and the most recent) studies I've read also seem to support the idea that Vit. C does not help the immune system or prevent colds,  and it is as you said excreted through the urine if there is an excess, unlike other vitamins,  :drink:

in fact Vit.C toxicity is one of the rarest Vitamin related illnesses/diseases in existence, with very few cases every year  ???

day 4 - as i've suspected this place is not deserted. it isn't even desserted. the natives seem docile for now

so far so good!  :D Do not upset them and they'll go away  :tu:

.....the Cayenne is a good source of Vitamin C as well.

all the Capsicum (peppers family, like cayenne, bell peppers, chili, etc.) genus are rich in Vitamin C,  :tu:

as are most if not all red fruits and vegetables, like Strawberries, Tomato, Red Peppers, and such. Orange is not that good of an indicator, as even though Orange and Tangerines do have Vitamin C, the Green/Yellow limes and lemons as well as Kiwi Fruits have more Vitamin C per gram than any orange or similar  :salute:
and other orange vegetables like Pumpkin, Butternut squash or Carrots, are quite deficient in Vit.C but rich in Vit.A (which is the most common found vitamin in orange veggies)  :whistle:

I suspect you're fine with the pepper capsules.

They aren't going to increase insulin levels in any significant way.

if that's their only ingredient they are not. If they use bulking agents like black carbon, or prebiotic fibers with low or no calories they are fine. If they use dextrose, saccharides of any kind, or other specific substances they might be caloric and thus not approved for a fasting period.  :rant: That's why I repeat, is key to read all the ingredients and know what they are, as the box should have written in it or listed somewhere  :angel:

The question is whether or not something you consume sends you brain the signal that it must now start processing.......that's what we're looking to avoid.

bears repeating, insulin response is a very delicate and complex subject.

Many bulking agents such as maltodextrin, maltose, other polysaccharides, oligosaccharides or long chain starch based bulking agents yield calories and trigger a rapid rise in insulin release and blood sugar because they are quickly digested . Do your research, read the labels, and if still in doubt, ASK!!  :pok:

Day 2 of fasting, I got quite hungry at 16 or whereabouts so I went for a walk to distract myself,  :whistle: and now that I was at it, went to look for some new tea blends and brands at the grocery store that provide appropriate flavor and good beverage without any effective calorie count,  :tu: to prepare during these fasting days that tend to lengthen themselves in my mind  :D

I bought a German brand (YogiTea) with a cool bar code 8)  that takes the shape of a meditating Buddha  :like:, and a Horniman's White Tea (20 bags) that I haven't checked out yet
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 01:55:58 AM
It's been about 24 hours now without eating any food. Drank lots of water all day and a cup of coffee this morning.

I did feel hungry in the afternoon and now, but a little hunger is not a problem. I also feel a little weak, but I'm still going out to a concert later this evening. I'll breakfast in the morning.

Hope your Thursday fast went well, El P.  :cheers:

Gerhard, what is your strategy at this point?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 05:48:14 AM
When I had to fast for my colonoscopy I was allowed to eat jello and that helped a lot with the hunger pangs.

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 07:59:37 AM
Thanks El Peacent, you are a litteral fount of knowledge! :salute:

I would like to think the capsule are pure Cayenne pepper, but I did find out recently that the brand of spice 99% of us use has a gluten containing bulking agent..... :facepalm: So who knows.

Won't BS, came out of the workshop 7PM and even fed the dog (long) before I ate.  And the packet of dried pears......well that was closer to 10PM than 9PM  :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: July 20, 2018, 02:18:36 PM
It's 06:15, and I've now been food-free for 36 hours.

My hunger has subsided, and I feel pretty good. Although I did have some weird dreams last night.

Breaking the fast with some coffee and cream, now. Will make some eggs later when Mrs Nix gets up.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 03:29:23 PM
day 5 - for the first time I've thought about roasting one of the natives

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 03:56:38 PM
Got hot sauce?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: July 20, 2018, 04:13:13 PM
day 5 - for the first time I've thought about roasting one of the natives

please don't tell me that you have been 5 days on a continuous fast!  ??? :ahhh

It's been about 24 hours now without eating any food. Drank lots of water all day and a cup of coffee this morning.

I did feel hungry in the afternoon and now, but a little hunger is not a problem. I also feel a little weak, but I'm still going out to a concert later this evening. I'll breakfast in the morning.

Hope your Thursday fast went well, El P.  :cheers:

Gerhard, what is your strategy at this point?

yes it went well, thanks and I hope yours went nicely too!  :salute:
It usually is Tortilla Thursday for me but given the fact that cooking when you are fasting tends to increase hunger and generate cravings so I postponed it and made it Tortilla Friday today  :D

I truly enjoyed this tortilla. Potato, onion, eggs, oil and salt, simple but great  :tu:

When I had to fast for my colonoscopy I was allowed to eat jello and that helped a lot with the hunger pangs.

Jello does not only help with hunger pangs because of its caloric content (which is usually low, especially if it uses HIS instead of sugar), but also because of it texture, which creates a "layer" in the stomach that covers it fully and gives extra satiety sensation, and protection (that's why it's often administered previous to the ingestion of medicines or pills that could damage the stomach walls or cause gastric reflux)   :salute:

Thanks El Peacent, you are a litteral fount of knowledge! :salute:

I would like to think the capsule are pure Cayenne pepper, but I did find out recently that the brand of spice 99% of us use has a gluten containing bulking agent..... :facepalm: So who knows.

Won't BS, came out of the workshop 7PM and even fed the dog (long) before I ate.  And the packet of dried pears......well that was closer to 10PM than 9PM  :facepalm:

not a fountain, but I've read my share of books, articles, documentaries and publications about nutrition and still do: other than my passion for tools, it's my favorite hobby and subject of study  ;)

Gluten is a protein and as such has caloric content, but depending on the % of weight of the pills that it represents, it could be a negligible caloric input from a pill or two  ???

I guess you meant dried peas?  :think: If so, that's a very good carbohydrate, low GI, lots of fiber, high nutritional content and lots of minerals present in them  :cheers:

It's 06:15, and I've now been food-free for 36 hours.
My hunger has subsided, and I feel pretty good. Although I did have some weird dreams last night.
Breaking the fast with some coffee and cream, now. Will make some eggs later when Mrs Nix gets up.  :tu:

I guess that I am fortunate to be one of those persons that doesn't wake up with hunger no matter how much have I eaten the hours before going to sleep, I don't feel hungry until noon more or less  :multi:

Eggs, the single most nutritious animal based food in the world  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 04:31:35 PM
I haven't been on a continuous 5 day fast. I've been doing IF for 5 days. first day that I was hungry during the non eating period

Got hot sauce?

(Image removed from quote.)

not that much

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 04:32:02 PM
Eggs, the single most nutritious animal based food in the world  :tu:

:tu:

I'm going fishing today, so I'll miss a midday meal. I figured I better have something nutritious before heading out!   :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: July 20, 2018, 04:35:59 PM
Styx, if you are whole-roasting co-workers, you're going to need a good bit of hot sauce. You might reconsider your plans.

And, please, no entries in the Great Chili thread until after your fast is over. Thank you.

:rofl:

hr Offline styx

Reply #52 on: July 20, 2018, 06:36:30 PM
Styx, if you are whole-roasting co-workers, you're going to need a good bit of hot sauce. You might reconsider your plans.

And, please, no entries in the Great Chili thread until after your fast is over. Thank you.

yea. plus i prefer red meat with sirarcha or thai hot sauce

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 06:46:26 PM

Old Bay seasoning works pretty good too.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:47 PM

Old Bay seasoning works pretty good too.

never tried it

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: July 21, 2018, 01:12:15 AM
Old Bay rocks. I awlways have a can in the pantry. I doubt if you can find it outside the USA.

hr Offline styx

Reply #56 on: July 21, 2018, 01:08:09 PM
maybe in the UK, but here no chance. Sirarcha is really hard to find, Tabasco is now a more available brand, many cuts of meat that you normally use as steaks are hard to come by and even butchers often require explanations. but i can bet there are things we take for granted here or in Europe in general that are hard to find or understand across the swamp

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #57 on: July 21, 2018, 01:33:51 PM
On hollydays right now, until August. Usually I sleep in on Saturdays, so I end up spending some 12h+ without eating. Last weekend I tried going 14h without food, just water. No problem.

Yesterday, I did the same. Woke up at 10h but only ate at 16h. No problem. Last night I had dinner until 22h. Large meal with some friends. No more food until now (12:30). Not really hungry, going for 16h again. That'll be 18h without eating.

:tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 22, 2018, 05:22:39 PM
On hollydays right now, until August. Usually I sleep in on Saturdays, so I end up spending some 12h+ without eating. Last weekend I tried going 14h without food, just water. No problem.

Yesterday, I did the same. Woke up at 10h but only ate at 16h. No problem. Last night I had dinner until 22h. Large meal with some friends. No more food until now (12:30). Not really hungry, going for 16h again. That'll be 18h without eating.

:tu: :salute:

good!   :tu:
Some people are just used to it and naturally incorporate some sort of IF in their daily lives, as it's no bother to them  :salute:
My toys:

hr Offline styx

Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
day 9 - disappointingly the natives have not yet declared me a deity

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%