Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My 1st 108mm

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
My 1st 108mm
on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:10 AM
Just received my 1st 108mm and I am impressed.  Seems a bit bigger than I imagined but nice and slim.

I could use some help on this one.....it was being sold as a German Army Knife but I am a skeptical.  No German eagle impressed on the scales and an anchor on the case.  So I’m thinking somebody’s Navy but haven’t been able to find this emblem with Google.  Probably not Google’s fault though.   :facepalm:

The case is olive drab, just a little lighter than the scales.  Has anyone seen this emblem?           :cheers:

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Re: My 1st 108mm
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:35:21 AM
I have the same knife I bought about 25-30 years ago. The GAK without the eagle. Great knife mine doesn't have the sheath. No idea about the logo, maybe someone's Marines?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:23:27 AM
Nmpops..... :tu: :tu: :tu:     It is the Republic of China Marine Corps.  Pretty cool!!!  Thanks for the hint!!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:26:40 AM by Boonies »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:09:47 AM
Nice one Boonies... GAK without eagle is a Safari Trooper... :cheers:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 04:46:37 AM
Thanks jaya_man, knew that the GAK needed the eagle but really didn’t get much farther.  Really didn’t think the German Army would have an anchor in their emblem either.  :rofl:

Really nice knife, not sure getting this was a good idea.  😜

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 04:50:27 AM
If it’s one for the Taiwanese Marines then hell yeah its a good score... official issue then...

Never knew it existed... :cheers:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 06:05:55 AM
Pretty sure it’s legit, the knife is Vic, the case is Vic and fits the knife perfectly.  Olive drab cases from Vic can’t be all that common, especially with the emblem.  I’m just worried that I am liking these knives and will go looking for others.  Really need another niche to collect.   :rofl:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 08:03:27 AM
Pretty sure it’s legit, the knife is Vic, the case is Vic and fits the knife perfectly.  Olive drab cases from Vic can’t be all that common, especially with the emblem.  I’m just worried that I am liking these knives and will go looking for others.  Really need another niche to collect.   :rofl:

Great catch, and the 108mm are a great niche to collect since it's one of the few model lines you can actually complete.  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:47:27 AM
This is what the fun and excitement of knife collecting are all about. On fine day you stumble upon a knife that is 30+ years old, and you pretty much discover it MIGHT have been issued to the Taiwanese army. Although one must remain very cautious about this. Because there is no proof so far that the case and the knife are connected. Your Trooper is a very desirable knife in terms of collecting. GAKs are all over the place and can be had for a song, but Troopers are much more difficult to come by.
But careful : these knives kinda grow on you :

- First, because of their unique design : they are not completely Victorinox. I explain : they were first produced to fill a supply contract for the german army, so one can imagine that Vic did not have a totally free hand on the design. The results is a slipjoint knife with a fairly different layout/philosophy - for one thing only one joint, the tools are on ONE side only. Compare it to the 1961 soldier issue alox models...... The combo tool is a bit disturbing also, at first. But when you get used to it, it becomes invaluable.
- Two : they're pretty much man-size, built like tanks, no-frills, and at the same time much easier to pocket than a 111mm one hand opening version. They take a paracord braid directly, thanks to the lanyard hole. Very easy to EDC. If I wanted to raise hell I would say the 91mm are for boys and the 108mm for men. See what I mean ? (but of course I am just teasing)
- Three : 108mm not dead. Check this thread out : https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43354.0.html  - You will see there are avid collectors out there, active modders as well, and a few models are still available off-the-shelf in Britain at a reasonable price.

Enjoy your Trooper. Put it on a shelf, buy yourself a GAK for dayly use, and give it a beating. It was built to take it.
safari trooper poster.jpg
* safari trooper poster.jpg (Filesize: 80.6 KB)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:48:36 AM by Ptisuisse »
Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:34 AM
Just for info, here is a shorter civilian version of your sheath. I bought it in Germany, quite probably the sub-contractor who made them for Victorinox had a production overrun. When I look at this case, I reckon it is too thick for a Trooper. How does yours fit ? I mean, not lengthwise, but thickness-wise ?
etui_sellier.JPG
* etui_sellier.JPG (Filesize: 21.56 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:08:20 AM
What a great little find mate. :tu:  Anyone else enjoying the idea of China/Taiwan importing SAKs?  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 11:46:54 AM
Nice find Boonies! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 07:53:01 PM

Great catch, and the 108mm are a great niche to collect since it's one of the few model lines you can actually complete.  :cheers:

Thanks glen.....I needed a little more enabling...... :rofl:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 07:56:16 PM
Thanks Gareth and VICMAN.....I too thought it interesting that Taiwan would import a Swiss Army knife but who doesn’t.......🙄

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 08:02:49 PM
Ptisuisse.....the knife fits the case quite well,  I can get a 2-layer 111mm in the case but have to stretch the top to get it to snap and the back of the case is pulled forward when I do this.  Not a good fit.  The 108mm snaps closed quite naturally.  And of course a 91mm or 93mm almost disappears in the case.  Spirit won’t even start.  I think this case was intentionally made for a 108mm.   :cheers:

fr Offline Ptisuisse

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:09 PM
Yep, looks like a perfect fit/perfect match indeed....... cool !  :tu:  enjoy.
If one of these knife/sheath combo popped up, others will.

Good on you, mate.  :salute:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 12:47:27 AM
Really, really funny. The PRC cranks out millions of fake SAKs, but  the Republic of China, Taiwan chooses the real thing.

Great find, and nice sheath!  Still haven't found one that fits the GAK nicely. Thinking about trying a Case Trapper sheath, as they're roughly the same size.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 01:31:49 AM
Thanks cody......had a thought so I tried it.  The brown leather sheath for a Spirit seems to fit pretty well.  Little play side to side (the Spirit is wider) but the thickness and height is perfect.  Maybe???   :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 04:32:40 AM
 :like:  Great find Boonies!!
Barry

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 05:09:39 PM
Thanks Barry, I’d like to think there was some skill involved but mostly blind luck......😛

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%