Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK mods

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
SAK mods
on: February 26, 2007, 10:13:20 PM
Has anyone here ever done a mod on a SAK?  I started "project clipped tinker" the other day and I wondered if anyone here has ever replaced the scales on a SAK.  From what I have seen it should be fairly easy.  I am wondering if I just epoxy a new set of finished scales onto the frame of the knife if it will work.  The brass pins seem that they will sit deep enough into the new handle scales for it to work.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I am currently working on a set of wood scales made of walnut and a metal spacer to mount the pocket clip so the project should be done soon.  If this project turns out alright I will try to make another version out of a Vic mountaineer.  However, that one will have aluminum sacles.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SAK mods
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:17:14 PM
SAK mods?  Oh heck yeah- there is tons of information at www.sosakonline.com on various mods from tool mods to layer mods to scale mods and everything in between.

In fact, we have a SAK Modding contest on right now....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:50:41 PM
Did someone say SAK mods?  All of the modifications below were performed by members of SOSAK.  These are some of my most treasured knives.  If you have any interest in SAKs, it is worthwhile to join SOSAK just to see creations like this:

Scibeer Micarta OHTs.  Linen micarta scales on both.  The black one has had a serration removal, "opener" layer removal and stainless clip added.

Oupa Copper Climber.  This one was runner-up to the two knives that won last year's SOSAK mod contest.  After looking at these pictures, you might imagine how nice the winners were.  The scales are crafted from an antique copper water tank used to fill steam trains in Australia.  Note that the tweezers and tootpick have been retained. 
Pictures really do not do the beauty of this knife justice.  These pictures show it in a polished state, but the patina that forms on the copper really brings out its character:

Knifecoop "oldschool" stag Soldier.  Alox scales are removed, and the knife is rebuilt with nickel silver outer liners and bolsters, and peened stag scales.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:55:15 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00:15 PM
I feel like I must add these.  These are pictures of a Scibeer micarta OHT in one of our own Esteban's (mcniac) beautiful, wet-molded SAK Sacks.  Check out the detailed, hand-tooled, SOSAK logo:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:56:59 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 01:15:59 PM
WOW!  :o  Those are some real beauties NutSAK! Thanks for sharing.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:59:27 PM
Those SAK mods are really cool.  I hope that I can eventually become that proficient.  I like the clipped models.  I think that a pocket clip is a great idea on a SAK for two reasons. 1 it is tougher to lose a knife while carrying it if it is clipped on.  2 A clip allows carry even without a good pocket to carry it in allowing one to carry the tool while mountain biking for example.   

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 09:12:14 PM
I'm no expert on mods, but it seems to me that the scale mods are definitely the best starting point, and pocket clip add-ons would fall under that category.  I would like to eventually be able to perform "layer" mods like the black OHT in the picture, and a few others that I own.  Layer mods allow you to basically build the SAK models that you've always wished that Victorinox or Wenger would produce.  However, I don't see myself ever getting to the point where I'm making my own nickel silver liners and bolsters as in Knifecoop's Oldschool stag Soldier, above.  The only thing left from the original Soldier in that example are the blades/tools, backsprings, and middle liner. 

As Def stated, www.sosakonline.com and the SOSAK forum on www.knifeforums.com are by far the best sources for learning this craft, as there are many experts there.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD