Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can’t get sand out of SAK

Guest · 15 · 1485

GTDV

Can’t get sand out of SAK
on: July 21, 2018, 10:17:30 PM
Been lurking for a while at MTO and this is my first post. I am definitely obtaining the SAK bug (just got my first 2 alox SAKs this week).

I live in a sandy region, and every time I work in my yard outside sand and other debris ends up in my pockets. My Spartan II has gotten crunchy and no amount of washing has helped yet. Hot water + soaking + toothbrush doesn’t do the trick. Any suggestions specifically for sand?

Thanks! I appreciate the friendliness on this board that doesn’t always appear on other sites/social media.
 :climber:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Can’t get sand out of SAK
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:52 PM
I wonder if it would help to liberally soak it in something like WD40 and let it soak for a day or two?

I've not had this problem yet, so I have no idea if that would work.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 10:28:23 PM
Oh, just had another idea. Maybe try running it under water while opening and closing the tools. Maybe that would help work the sand out of the joints?  :think:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:28:57 PM
In addition to what gustophersmob said, have you tried opening and closing the tools repeatedly while the SAK is underwater? :)
Welcome!

Edit: Haha, gustophersmob beat me to it.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 10:41:35 PM
 :think:

Not a problem I've encountered much myself, but I think the part with running water is important. Normal gunk can be removed with a soak since it will dissolve or at least be suspended by a soap/water solution. The sand just lies happily where it has lodged itself. From the logic, a heavier suspension which is water soluble might help? (For instance more soap in the water than normal.) Just thinking out loud here, I don't live a place with much sand myself. Perhaps you've found an excuse for getting yourself an ultrasonic cleaner.  :P

GTDV

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 10:47:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Soaked it in WD40 and going to let it sit. I’ve been thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner, but not sure my wife would understand the purchase yet.  :oops:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:52:35 PM
Oh, I also forgot to say welcome to MTO! :cheers:

This really is the most friendly place I've seen on the web!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:53:25 PM
In addition to what gustophersmob said, have you tried opening and closing the tools repeatedly while the SAK is underwater? :)
Welcome!

Edit: Haha, gustophersmob beat me to it.  :D

Great minds and all that  8)

GTDV

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:31:39 PM
Oh, I also forgot to say welcome to MTO! :cheers:

This really is the most friendly place I've seen on the web!

Thanks!

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 12:00:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Soaked it in WD40 and going to let it sit. I’ve been thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner, but not sure my wife would understand the purchase yet.  :oops:

Just let her know you noticed her jewelry was appearing a bit dull and you are buying for her items.   That it will work on your shiny stuff is a small plus.

PS: Where are you located?  Different sands may require different solutions, as some sand is very fine the result of crushed stone result of the ice age, and others near beaches result from shells and diets of sea life being ground by the rolling waves or former sea beds.

Most sand I deal with is just fine dirt, water breaks down to wash away.  Beach type sands often require disassembly if flushing does not clear away.

All the best and welcome  :salute:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 12:29:36 AM
At camp, I was near a sandy riverbank. I cleaned it and oiled it a couple of times, and that got the stuff out.  I did have to break down my Gerber Multiplier and Spyderco UKPK to get the stuff out of it.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:20:02 AM
Been lurking for a while at MTO and this is my first post.

Welcome to the forum GTDV! :cheers:

If you know someone with an air compressor you might try using the nozzle to try and blow the sand particles free....just wear goggles when you try it so you don't get anything in your eyes.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 02:26:00 AM
try some unwaxed dental floss, and maybe carry saks in a sheath on belt

GTDV

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 02:46:24 AM

PS: Where are you located?  Different sands may require different solutions, as some sand is very fine the result of crushed stone result of the ice age, and others near beaches result from shells and diets of sea life being ground by the rolling waves or former sea beds.

Florida  8)

GTDV

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 03:57:13 AM
Got 90% of it out (except a little affecting the small knife) after hot soak - dry - WD40 - hot rinse with opening and closing - dry - Liquid Wrench machine oil.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%