Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What’s the overall concensus on the Get er MP1 ?

Offline Old man Chris

Sounds like some were not very well made , and the design looks kinda flawed . What say you Oricles ?

Anyone here had any experience with the Multitasker Series 3 , in particular the 3X . D2 Pliers , and D2 blade sound interesting . Is there any relationship to the Paul Chen Multitasker ?

I don’t schlep an AR platform rifle , but the seem to have some good features , and might be modable .

Chris

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What’s the overall concensus on the Get er MP1 ?
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 03:03:08 AM
I like the idea of them but I think they are way too expensive.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 05:04:27 AM
Ive got an MP1 and I do like it.  Mine has developed a little play in the plier pivot which has effectively retired it from work duty.  I'd say it's a good medium duty tool.  A great EDC as long as you don't find it too big/bulky. It has a good tool set and, my favorite part, side cutters on the pliers! I wish more MTs had this.   Helps a lot in tight spaces and is great for zip ties.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 05:34:51 AM
Chris,
When I looked into adding an MP-1 to the collection, I got a bit excited by the specs(forged pliers for one) and photos. When it came, I tried it out. Like clown said, it is medium duty. But, that is primarily due to the spring compartment in the plier pivot. I also noted that the blade is brittle (I snapped the PE blade on mine with my fingers trying to see if I could get it to stop rubbing the inside of the handle. The replacement blade Gerber provided didn't rub at all. So, the first blade came from the factory already bent.   :facepalm:
Perhaps the blade was a QC issue, but I am cautious about it now.
Now, the other implements seem fine and I LOVE the 1/4" bit driver and the locking mechanism on the MP-1.
Like clown also said, the flush cutting cutter-section is excellent and more tools need that. :)

The pliers seem best fit for electrical work, but not fit for anything involving torsion on the jaws or plier-prying tasks. The jaws themselves are fine. Like clown mentioned, I also noted some play after the break-in period. Peening the pivot may prove difficult, because of said spring compartment. If Gerber would have made the pivot non-sprung, they would have had a much tougher tool. :cheers:

If you can find one for $45, then I say it is worth getting one. But, at the cost I see them at new, you'll be disappointed.  :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:35:59 PM
Sounds like both bad engeneering , and bad QC . Typical Gerber ! Kinda sad to hear the pliers develope looseness in the pivots , having used good pliers all my working life , I can safley say , that’s simply incompetent manufacturing . Klein , Whia , Knipex , and a host of others can and do get it right ! Why is everone so hung up on spring returns in plier ? A top quality plier like a Knipex , will self open by gravity alone , right out of the box !Klein not so much , but at a slightly lower pricepoint , so will NWS .

Chris

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 03:58:43 PM
I'd drive you towards the latest review from "diezelle57" on Youtube  for the latest sample of Gerber's QC on the MP1  :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 04:09:46 PM
I'd drive you towards the latest review from "diezelle57" on Youtube  for the latest sample of Gerber's QC on the MP1  :facepalm:

His reviews are very eloquent , even if he never says a word ! The thumbs down gesture , said it all ! The concept looks OK , on it’s face , but not properly executed . Vic. has a better cap lifter / lighr pry tool ( Witness the 08 Soldier , Spirit , and Swisstool . ) , the blades look HoHum , the lack of a saw is not good , The chisel/ scraper looks good , The lockup seems suspect , a fatal flaw . Pitty , it arroused my intrest , but now seems disapointing .

Chris

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 04:12:33 PM
I have come to the conclusion , that the closest thing to my Unicorn Multi , would be a Multitasker Series 3X , with a modded implement loadout .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD