Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who has the most complete collection of Leatherman tools?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Who has the most complete collection of Leatherman tools?
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 02:16:58 AM
I hope to have a sizable LM collection one day. I have been inspired by many here (particularly Chako) in my collecting and have made several decisions based on what I've been told. :)

I think I do pretty well for a guy making $1.4k/month. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2018, 11:59:17 AM
I hope to have a sizable LM collection one day. I have been inspired by many here (particularly Chako) in my collecting and have made several decisions based on what I've been told. :)

All collectors had to start somewhere.  My advice to collectors starting out is to take things slowly until you have a good handle on how rare a particular item is and also what prices things usually fetch. Refining your searches and being persistent also helps a lot.

I know I over-paid on a few less common MTs when I first started because I was enthusiastic and didn't know whether I'd ever see another one for sale.  For many that I considered rare it was surprising how after a year (or two, or three, or more ;) ) I would come across more examples for sale, and often just after I bought one I would find another one in better condition for a lower price. 

Of course for prototypes and genuine one-offs (eg pre-production tools) it comes down to how badly you want it and can you afford to pay the asking price, as you may never see another one. 

Another consideration for rarer MTs is that rarity alone doesn't mean it will fetch a higher price, more significant is how many other collectors want that particular tool and how deep are their pockets.

The final issue is to not spend more than you can afford - it isn't a good idea to cause yourself financial problems chasing a hobby.  IMO family, food & shelter should always take priority over collecting.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 12:12:34 PM
Words of wisdom.  :tu:

Mind you, for me, I didn't really care if an item was rare...if I didn't have it, I would try to acquire it...within reason of course. Because of that, I make no distinction based on rarity. I  just tried to get one of everything if I could.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:14:09 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 02:57:20 PM
Great advice Greg. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 02:10:55 PM
Here is the Z-REX. The final product is the one on the top. There are plenty of Z-REX prototypes floating around...some are rather more crude than the one I have. I might be mistaken, but I believe this one was the version prior to the final product...but I could be totally wrong on that. For all I know, this might just be production series 1 and series 2, and not a prototype. Maybe someone on here could fill me in on that.

Crude Z-Rex prototype?  You mean like the original T-Rex?  :D

This is where the idea started- it was originally someone looking at the sheet of metal after Skeletool blades were cut out of it and thinking "we could make those into rescue cutters!"  You can sort of see the tip of the Skeletool blade shape in the V cutter.

Then the other goodies were added- the 1/4" bit driving wrench, the O2 bottle opener (because everyone carries an O2 bottle, right?) the glass breaker, bottle opener etc.  You know, all the classic One Piece Tool functions.

Of course the design changed significantly between this and the Z-Rex, a name that was chosen because of the Z shape of the reversible blade, something they had to do because the T-Rex name was already trademarked.

It also makes sense, as these types of blades are notoriously hard to sharper, so a reversible/replaceable blade makes perfect sense.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 02:21:18 PM

All collectors had to start somewhere.  My advice to collectors starting out is to take things slowly until you have a good handle on how rare a particular item is and also what prices things usually fetch. Refining your searches and being persistent also helps a lot.

I know I over-paid on a few less common MTs when I first started because I was enthusiastic and didn't know whether I'd ever see another one for sale.  For many that I considered rare it was surprising how after a year (or two, or three, or more ;) ) I would come across more examples for sale, and often just after I bought one I would find another one in better condition for a lower price. 

Of course for prototypes and genuine one-offs (eg pre-production tools) it comes down to how badly you want it and can you afford to pay the asking price, as you may never see another one. 

Another consideration for rarer MTs is that rarity alone doesn't mean it will fetch a higher price, more significant is how many other collectors want that particular tool and how deep are their pockets.

The final issue is to not spend more than you can afford - it isn't a good idea to cause yourself financial problems chasing a hobby.  IMO family, food & shelter should always take priority over collecting.
Thank you for the excellent advice, Gregozedobe! :cheers:

I am slowly approaching the top-ten on amount of MTs vs. Variety(eight different brands are in the mix now + C&C tools) And it is getting hard to manage, to be honest. But, I've got several collections I try to maintain in parallel(watches, radios, cameras, etc.). I respect you guys that have such vast & complete collections of MTs. I am learning that it is a LOT of work. You guys are an inspiration. :salute:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:22:27 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 03:34:25 PM
Very nice Def. I haven't seen that one before.

Any Bear & Son?  :pok:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79