Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Giving the Compact a go for edc

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Re: Giving the Compact a go for edc
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 04:38:05 PM
Good morning! My last recollection of exchanging posts with you was concerning the "New" MacGyver series.  I never did get around to seeing any of the new series and my memories of the original are intact.

Concerning the choice of an EDC, I think it really comes down to requirements and preferences--what do I need and what do I want? My own needs are modest. Give me a blade and scissors and that will handle the majority of tasks that I will encounter.  Occasionally, I will need assistance reading tiny print and will reach for an Explorer that I keep within reach. I really like the magnifier and the inline phillips driver. When I retired in 2015, I proceeded to drop a bunch of weight and made use of the inline awl from my Pioneer X to make a series of new belt holes.

These days, the Executive easily meets my EDC needs and is light and easy to carry even in the pocket of my gym trunks. When I leave the house, the MiniChamp II goes with me and I have multiple SAKs stored in convenient places around the house for their functions and for the joy of using them.

:cheers:

Jim

I tried really hard to like the Compact as an EDC, honest.....
But for me, and for the functions that important for me to justify carrying a sak it just falls short im afraid....
Apart from a small knife blade i must have some reliable drivers, pry bar and the like with me. It's every bit as important as the cutting tasks. The combo tool is good if you just need to use it for its intended use, but for a pry bar, screw driver that can handle medium torque, scraper, etc, it just doesn't work for me. I can do 90% of what scissors do with the blades, just not as easily, but that doesn't bother me, and i can always use the ones on my key chain classic.
If it had the Phillips instead of the corkscrew at least it would have a light/ medium torque SD. The plus scales only add a pen, while handy not of huge value to me.
If i really only wanted the same functionality of the compact, id rather carry the Executive, much smaller and thinner  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 04:43:16 PM
I've toyed with the idea of carrying a Compact myself.  I cannot get along with the combo tool on my Golfer which would have made that wonderful tool nearly perfect.  Adding plus scales to any 91mm IMO is a win but that doggone combo tool.  I like the idea of a 2 layer SAK with scissor.  On paper its ideal.  I've come from a 84mm Tinker which was nearly perfect.  Missing scissors left me looking for another SAK.  I stumbled upon the 84mm Salesman and my SAK searching so far has come to a halt.  Yes its wider that the Tinker but its filled with so much useful goodness I'm ok with it. 

I hope the Compact serves you well. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2018, 05:58:48 PM
For me, the Compact is an ideal side carry with my Green Hornet / Buccaneer /  Carver SW as none of these have scissors.
DSC02625-2day-with-compact-001.jpg
* DSC02625-2day-with-compact-001.jpg (Filesize: 218.15 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #33 on: August 04, 2018, 08:28:35 PM
Lots of great comments in this thread.

Compact was my edc for a long time.  I do like the slimness of the Compact but feel a bit more prepared with a Climber+ .
Both still get pocket time. 

Tourist /Manager combo does a great job of covering  awl the same functions plus a small Phillips.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:44 AM
Compact for EDC? Why not. I always carry the Compact as a partner for my Spirit.

Sent from my A37f using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:08:13 AM by classicrock »
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2018, 12:21:41 PM
Compact for EDC? Why not. I always carry the Compact as a partner for my Spirit. (Image removed from quote.)

what a pic!!  :like: :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: August 05, 2018, 12:29:31 PM
I still believe the Compact to be a perfect urban carry.
It's a close second to an 84mm Golfer, but given the availability, the Compact will do just fine.

I'm carrying mine while camping for visits into town, while the Outrider is used on the camping ground.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2018, 01:14:26 PM
Concerning the choice of an EDC, I think it really comes down to requirements and preferences--what do I need and what do I want?

Totally agree, it's really all down to that...  :cheers:

One perfect 2 layer SAK with scissors to me would be a blend between a Voyager and a small Tinker. 84mm, with the reversed bottle opener instead of that darn combo tool, with scissors, the awl and Phillips on the back. Now That would be a killer SAK for me, i could even live with loosing the small blade and can opener with that one  :ahhh

....ohh.... and without the keyring please...  :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 01:24:53 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2018, 03:40:35 PM
WITH keyring!!

You just file off yours.
I can't add one :rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2018, 08:47:55 PM
WITH keyring!!

You just file off yours.

LOL  :rofl:

Fair enough mate...  :cheers:

But it's just i'm a bit tired of grinding that ring tab off, the Dremel always slips and graze a scale or a liner, and the metal shavings always get on the springs no matter how well you tape off the area. It's a pain to wash it all out of there and re-lube everything...
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: August 05, 2018, 08:48:54 PM
:duel:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2018, 09:01:44 PM
WITH keyring!!

You just file off yours.

LOL  :rofl:

Fair enough mate...  :cheers:

But it's just i'm a bit tired of grinding that ring tab off, the Dremel always slips and graze a scale or a liner, and the metal shavings always get on the springs no matter how well you tape off the area. It's a pain to wash it all out of there and re-lube everything...

This! +1

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:21 AM
The combo tool is going to take some getting used to. Using the standard cap lifter tool is reflexive at this point, and the combo tool is different enough to seem to work less intuitively.  The key ring attachment is probably going to have to go, noticible digging in my palm.  The key ring mount on other 91mm models where it's part of the back spring is more comfortable.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 07, 2018, 12:02:21 PM
The combo tool is going to take some getting used to. Using the standard cap lifter tool is reflexive at this point, and the combo tool is different enough to seem to work less intuitively.  The key ring attachment is probably going to have to go, noticible digging in my palm.  The key ring mount on other 91mm models where it's part of the back spring is more comfortable.

Still way-way better than on the 93 mm models. Those really dig into your palm.

compact_keyring.jpg
* compact_keyring.jpg (Filesize: 24.31 KB)
keyring_pioneer_2.jpg
* keyring_pioneer_2.jpg (Filesize: 20.28 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 03:36:04 PM
Compact for EDC? Why not. I always carry the Compact as a partner for my Spirit. (Image removed from quote.)

what a pic!!  :like: :like:

+1
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 06:52:30 PM

Yep, my Farmer and Pioneer that I occasionally carry both had the keyring mount immediately removed when I got them.   I have to say, that something I like about my Leatherman tools is that they pretty much all have a fold out keyring/lanyard mount that can be deployed or stowed as needed.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 07, 2018, 07:27:40 PM
I have run across posts from those who have no use for the key ring & mount and remove them. I like to attach a lanyard and am among those who utilize the keyring. I have a number LM multi-tools and like the folding keyring/lanyard mount on the Juice and the detachable one on the Wave and Charge. It would be nice to combine the features we like in our multi-tools/SAKs but life presents us with trade-offs more often than not.

Jim

Yep, my Farmer and Pioneer that I occasionally carry both had the keyring mount immediately removed when I got them.   I have to say, that something I like about my Leatherman tools is that they pretty much all have a fold out keyring/lanyard mount that can be deployed or stowed as needed.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #47 on: August 07, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
Of course every SAK is a trade off. That´s why I have so many different ones.  :)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 02:52:10 AM
Of course every SAK is a trade off. That´s why I have so many different ones.  :)

:tu:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 08:55:39 AM

Yup... If Vic managed to build the one "perfect" Sak that suited everybody's needs they'd be in big trouble...  >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 03:50:09 PM
I dont use the lanyard thing on my Wave but its nice to have it there as an option.  I do like that it tucks away, same on my Juice.  Be neat to see a SAK with one that tucked away for those who dont utilize it.  I like the keyring on my SAKs and usually add a lanyard. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 06:55:57 AM
I went ahead and filed off the keying mount, much better in the pocket and the hand now.   Still getting used to the combo tool.  I've used it to open cans, tighten screws and as a cap lifter.  It does seem to be a compromise versus the standard opener layer, not quite as good at things as the two tools it replaces.  No real surprise there, but not really bothersome so far. 

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 07:12:49 AM
I went ahead and filed off the keying mount, much better in the pocket and the hand now.   Still getting used to the combo tool.  I've used it to open cans, tighten screws and as a cap lifter.  It does seem to be a compromise versus the standard opener layer, not quite as good at things as the two tools it replaces.  No real surprise there, but not really bothersome so far.
I wholeheartedly agree about the combo tool, it's certainly passable when trying to fit as many functions into as few tools as possible. But for me, I so love the sturdiness, and particularly the grind, of the bottle opener/screwdriver/wirestripper that I never quite feel right without one. I'd go for a compact with that tool, and a faintly shorter main blade in the same layer, and carry a p38 or p51 on my keyring in a heartbeat
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #53 on: August 25, 2018, 04:29:29 AM
I used to be awl about the combo tool but now I'm awl about the standard openers and awl
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 25, 2018, 02:53:50 PM
I used to be awl about the combo tool but now I'm awl about the standard openers and awl

I've made the same transformation in the last year or so.  I used to think the Combo tool was the most brilliant thing, but I so rarely use a can opener anymore that I figured I might as well be carrying and getting the benefit of the true cap lifter, which I use all the time.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 25, 2018, 03:01:23 PM

I have to agree, El C. I like the standard openers more than the Combo tool. Of course, when it cam time for me to ask Syph007 to make me a slim EDC, I deleted them awl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: August 25, 2018, 03:10:51 PM
I rarely use the openers...
But when I need one, I need one bad!
(Like when I can't find the dedicated opener in the kitchen right away)
So the combo tool is the perfect tradeoff for me.
It saves me a layer for something else, while still able to do the job when needed.
Now, when I can have a file on the blade layer, things get different...
All in all... I need a Voyageur...
I think that would be my perfect EDC.
Followed close by my Alumnus, which should be on it's way back from the spa :popcorn:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: August 25, 2018, 03:14:05 PM
I thought awl right-thinking Swiss Army Knights kept a Pioneer in their kitchens for just such emergencies..... :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 25, 2018, 03:59:26 PM
I keep a SAK in my pocket...

And all decent SAKs that are not being carried are in the office.
I can't bring myself to scatter them all around...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: August 25, 2018, 04:00:49 PM
And if I do, what if I can't find the dedicated opener and neither my Pioneer?! :ahhh

On top of that, my only Pioneers are the Nespresso ones (all 3) and a black one with red shield.
You can't just throw any of those in a kitchen drawer...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%