Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you guys think of the Wenger Ranger 70?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
What do you guys think of the Wenger Ranger 70?
on: August 11, 2018, 08:11:50 PM
I got this recently, brand new in the box, and I'm on the fence. It's really, really big. It doesn't have a bottle opener, can opener, or any sort of flat blade screwdriver. It just has the pliers, blade, a bigarse file, and backspring phillips.   I'm wanting to love it, because the file is really awesome... but the pliers really aren't. They barely open at all, they're much smaller than the pliers in my cheapo Chinese NewPow knife, and I can't help but feel I'd be better off with a similar knife without the pliers, and with the openers and maybe a saw blade to boot.

I paid a lot for it, as it's a rare model, and I'm just on the fence about whether to keep it, resell it, or gift it.

Charles.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What do you guys think of the Wenger Ranger 70?
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:39 PM
If I were you I would give it away  :pok:.

I'll send you my address right away ...  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:10 PM
That's the kind of open and heartfelt support I've come to expect here at MTo. Way to take one for the team.

CC, not my kind of SAK, so I can't help take it off your hands, but.....if you don't love it, why not sell it?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:39 PM
That's the kind of open and heartfelt support I've come to expect here at MTo. Way to take one for the team.

CC, not my kind of SAK, so I can't help take it off your hands, but.....if you don't love it, why not sell it?

Always happy to help a fellow MTO member  :salute:.

Seriousely, if you don't like the Wenger, just sell it, but just remember, it's a Wenger, and it's not like they're still being made, meaning they will only go up in price, in theory at least ...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:40:48 PM
He's on the fence. Maybe he will grow to like it...

I paid a lot for it, as it's a rare model, and I'm just on the fence about whether to keep it, resell it, or gift it.
I would only gift such a thing to someone who really appreciated it's rareness and value.

EDIT: Oh can we please see some pics?  :pok:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:42:01 PM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:58:40 AM
I found this thread again, and realized I never posted the requested pictures. So here they are!

Date is 03/2010
On the end it has the text:

1 77 70
Ranger 70

Charles

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 11:20:25 AM
 :like:

And I thought I had killed this thread...

I went for a Ranger myself because of its big saw.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 02:43:23 PM
Its one I thought of getting a while ago.  Those Wengers with pliers always kept me on the fence tho and I'm not sure why?  Thats a nice SAK worth keeping just because unless of course using it was your intention and the tools have left you flat?  Maybe give it some use/purpose and see what happens
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:26 AM
I've considered getting the Rangergrip 74, but passed it up when I looked at it in the store.

The advantage I saw with it was that on the rare occasion that I would need a decent set of pliers, I would have it. But the main form factor of the tool is the knife.

I just couldn't get past the nearly full grown pliers folded in there like any other tool, staring me in the face. Also, the size would be impossible for me to carry in a pocket on the regular.

In other words. The tool wasn't about being prepared, as much as it was a deliberate reinvention of a medium duty pliers AND knife based MT

If that's what you want, and like a really good, large blade, I see nothing wrong with it.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 01:46:39 AM
As Pepe LePew once said, "Don't knock it until you have tried it".  The only way to get a good opinion of a tool is to use it. Except those bought intentionally to leave in the box, pretty much every new knife or tool I buy has a one-week trial/break-in period.

A little curious myself of how the folding pliers will work on the Wenger. I have an old Bonsa from the '50s (actually first to ever use this design; and the pioneer) and a CRKT Bivy.  For light stuff like crimping shot, cutting fishing line, and yanking out hooks, like the Bonsa is designed for; fine. Heavy use, nope. And besides, the CRKT fell apart on me. Gotta tighten those screws!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%