Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Rant on the USPS and Packaging

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
A Rant on the USPS and Packaging
on: August 20, 2018, 02:31:03 PM
So far, I've had two USPS packages that I think overshot where they were supposed to go. The first, coming from Illinois, ended up diverted to Florida before going to the proper regional hub in Charleston, WV. The second, coming from Utah should have been here today, but somehow ended up in Mobile, Alabama. I'm in Southwest Virginia--so how the heck did they end up there? Left on the truck?  You'd think with tracking, they wouldn't make such a smurf-up these days.  Usually, I have stuff that arrives early, but this, for sure, will end up being two days late because of the USPS's mistake.

And secondly, a rant on packaging.  The one from Illinois was packed in a thin-wall box that originally held Ziploc bags and was then wrapped in brown paper, and was thus crushed. As well, I could tell it had become wet at one point.  IThankfully the contents weren't fragile.  Bubble mailers, for the most part, I've had no issue with, aside from once a seller tried to pack a few too many new clamshell packed knives in it, and it had torn, thankfully nothing fell out. I'm fine with recycling packaging--but at least make sure the box can withstand the rigors of the postal system.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:34:33 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: A Rant on the USPS and Packaging
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:58 PM
So far, I've had two USPS packages that I think overshot where they were supposed to go. The first, coming from Illinois, ended up diverted to Florida before going to the proper regional hub in Charleston, WV. The second, coming from Utah should have been here today, but somehow ended up in Mobile, Alabama. I'm in Southwest Virginia--so how the heck did they end up there? Left on the truck?  You'd think with tracking, they wouldn't make such a smurf-up these days.  Usually, I have stuff that arrives early, but this, for sure, will end up being two days late because of the USPS's mistake.

And secondly, a rant on packaging.  The one from Illinois was packed in a thin-wall box that originally held Ziploc bags and was then wrapped in brown paper, and was thus crushed. As well, I could tell it had become wet at one point.  I Thankfully the contents weren't fragile.  Bubble mailers, for the most part, I've had no issue with, aside from once a seller tried to pack a few too many new clamshell packed knives in it, and it had torn, thankfully nothing fell out. I'm fine with recycling packaging--but at least make sure the box can withstand the rigors of the postal system.

I have a friend who works for USPS and one of his jobs is to maintain the Fragile Package Sorting system AKA The Crusher,enough said there.

The "Tracking" they offer is pretty much a complete joke as well.

They have bad or no credit with suppliers and when systems break there they can go as-is indefinitely in general.

It is a mystery to me but they seem to get worse by the day.

On the subject of poor packing?

You can not fix stupid.

I have been sent what I was told were working laptop computers inside a non-padded manila envelope more than once and was billed for the packing and handling to boot, people can be just .........take your pick of description?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:40:16 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:52:34 PM
I'm still waiting for a package that was "lost" within the PO  :facepalm:.

They seem to love telling you with the vast amount of parcels shipped and received only a few are mishandled.   :twak:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:06:58 PM
Other than once or twice having a package get rerouted a bit out of the way, I've never had a problem with USPS.
 I have had some pretty dodgy packaging from E-Bay sellers though.    :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:13:45 PM
Seems to be the norm with postal services. They do not care one smurf about packages or customers.
Poor packing, poor tracking, poor handling, deliveries at wrong addresses, packages lost or damaged.
Every time I receive a package I am amazed that it made it.

I find it astonishing how difficult they make deliveries look. I accept that mistakes will happen, but they just don't seem to care.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:16:16 PM
 :iagree:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 01:28:11 PM
Amazon packaging is a strange thing. Sometimes you get packaging just the right size, but more often than not you get a massive box with a small item in it and the rest of the box filled with scrunched up brown paper.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:29:26 PM
Another strange one is missed deliveries. I had a missed Amazon delivery yesterday that should have come by courier, but the card for missed delivery was a UK post office one and it was left at my local post office to pick up this morning.  I've never had that before  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%