Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best little gadget - 12V UPS for my router and modem

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Best little gadget - 12V UPS for my router and modem
on: August 22, 2018, 08:53:46 AM
I snagged a used Belkin BU3DC001-12V "Residential Battery Back-up" unit. This thing is the bomb.  It replaces the 12V power brick for my router and my cable modem. It has 12v regulated output at 3amps, and my modem has a 2A brick and my router a 1A brick... so I got a splitter and an adapter and now both are powered by this thing. (I needed an adapter because my modem has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm socket, and the unit has a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug. My router didn't need an adapter). If power goes out, I get about 3 hours of internet usage before the battery dies. That's about how long the battery in my big laptop lasts, so that works out well. But this thing is more than that, it's so much better than the absolutely DINKY brick that came with my TP-Link Archer C1200 router. In fact, the last time the power flikered my modem was unfazed, but the brick to my archer took a dump, and took the router out with it. Everything else that was plugged into that power strip and that outlet survived, but not the TP-Link brick. (The brick is light as a feather, compared to the brick for the cable modem, which feels much like an actual brick in weight).

I liked it so much, I snagged two more. Instead of running a splitter I'm going to run the modem and the router each from their own dedicated backup unit, and I plan to use the third backup unit to power the LED lighting in my living room. I also plan to wire up a 12V USB port so I can charge my phone when the power goes out.

We've been having absolutely torrential rains here recently, and power has flickered quite a bit... and each time it resets the router, a good 3 minutes before it's back online... and often there's another power flicker right after. As I work from home, this is a huge frustration. Also, hurricane season is coming up soon, and it'll be nice to have internet and living room lights when everyone else is using candles and flashlights. One of these days I'll get a generator... but even then, probably only for the fridge and/or the furnace fan. Only the essentials, as the cost and gas consumption makes a whole-house generator impractical.

So yeah, these things are great. They'll power anything that runs off of 12V, they condition the input current and highly regulate the output voltage. And unlike a regular 120V UPS, they're better than 90% efficient when running off of batteries. (A UPS that has to convert internal battery voltage to 120V is around 30% efficient on a good day. If you're then converting back to 12V to run your wifi... well, then... um... yeah, that sounds like the least efficient thing possible)

Also, they go for around $20-$25 shipped from eBay.

Charles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Best little gadget - 12V UPS for my router and modem
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:06:58 AM
Nice!  :tu:

Also... 12v USB port? :dwts: Pretty sure thats not a good idea.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

id Offline Daniel

• New User
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:58:47 AM
In general, you can consider a thing more global for the home, since paying for electricity, for example, does not always make me happy. I already installed Generac 7036 myself, after a few months I already noticeably noticed how I began to pay less. You can look at one of these options, if interested.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 07:16:59 AM
Nice!  :tu:

Also... 12v USB port? :dwts: Pretty sure thats not a good idea.

12V source. Basically I wired a pigtail adapter from the backup unit's connector to a 12V SAE battery tender connector, so I can use this:

Charles.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 05:27:53 AM
AT&T used to issue those Belkin 12V UPS units to backup U-Verse subscribers' modems.  I have a few and use them to power scanner radios.

I've seen them at Goodwill stores for $10 or so.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 03:14:37 PM
Very nice :like: I need to pick something like that up for times that the power blinks on and off :tu: also would be great for short power outages :cheers: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 03:16:53 PM
In general, you can consider a thing more global for the home, since paying for electricity, for example, does not always make me happy. I already installed Generac 7036 myself, after a few months I already noticeably noticed how I began to pay less. You can look at one of these options, if interested.

Great link :tu: I have a portable generator now but have put some serious thought for putting one of these whole house automatic ones in :salute: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%