Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who says kids don't notice?

cbl51 · 36 · 1257

us Online cbl51

• No Life Club
Who says kids don't notice?
on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:56 PM
So, for the past month or so, I've been using an executive.

In the ramp up for the Chuck Yeager challenge going on right now, Nix in a very generous gesture sent me a new executive to use, since I didn't have one and was always a bit mystified by the executive. So since the 18th of July I've been carrying the executive exclusively with no other SAK or pocket knife of any kind to give an honest wringing out. I've been impressed all to jack.

But...it was noticed. On the 3d of August, our granddaughter arrived for her summer visit with the grand folks. At age 9, Briana is growing up fast and is already five feet one inches tall. Her dad, my son-in-law and very good friend not to mention Key West fishing trip and drinking partner is 6' 4' and her mom, our daughter, is just a hair short of 5' 11" I've tried to get my wife to tell me what she fed those kids growing up, but all she says is pop tarts and marshmallows.

Anyways, Bree has always been fascinated with outdoor stuff, and we'd have family fishing trips to Key West, Mammoth Lakes, The Rogue River in Oregon. She's always been attentive when theres line trying, lure fixing, and anything dealing with fishing. I always used my little well worn classic for fishing duties because the little scissors work soooo well on monofilament line.

So during her visit here, we're been to the shooting range for work with both the old Marlin 39 lever action .22 rifle and the Smith and Wesson .22 model 63 revolver. Bree's a very good shot with the rifle and sort of adequate with the revolver at closer ranges. But the kicker was, she noticed I was not using my usual for me little keyring SAK. I was adjusting the rear sight elevation on the rifles Williams peep sight when she commented, "Grandpa, that's not your little red knife."

I explained about the Chuck Yeager challenge and how a forum member gave me an executive to try out. Bree listened and thought about it, and seemed to contemplate it all. But then she said the darnedest thing; "Mommy always carries the little one and uses it for everything."

Mommy being our daughter Jessica, who got her first SAK in high school and has been a totally devoted sakkist ever since. Won't even look at another kind knife for her purse. In my younger knife nut days when I was trying just about everything under the sun, I'd offer her one of my 'other' knives, but she'd always turn them down. Said she had no used for a knife-knife. From her fist SAK, daughter Jess has been a very loyal die hard SAK fan. Frankly I think it's the scissors and nail file that do it. Bree seems to be heading in that direction, like my other kids and grandkids. When she's here, she seems delighted in 'borrowing' my little SAK to open snacks. Theres this Old Crock cheddar cheese snacks that come with each portion in it's own bullet and bomb proof plastic wrapping that she loves. So she uses the scissors to neatly snip open one end and then down one side to get the cheese bar out.

This visit she's used the scissors on the Chuck Yeager challenge executive for her package opening, and jute twine cutting for the garden work. She's used the spear shaped nail file tip to help open those pistachio nut shells that have only a tiny crack that you can't get a thumb nail into. Bree has pronounced the executive nail file almost as good a nut opener as the SD tip of the classic that her mom carries and lets her use.

That this 9 year old has observed not only was I using a different SAK, she openly compared it to the other SAK she knew; that of the classic her mom carries and the classic she's seen me with on many occasions. I would have bet it would have gone unnoticed and I'd have been wrong. This brought me to the main question; in spite of my being a knife nut in the 1980's and 90's, and then backing off from it all in the early 2000's when the kids were grown, what made them SAK enthusiasts? I called my son back in Maryland and asked him why he just would carry a SAK instead of all the knives he must have seen me with in his youth?

His answer was both sobering and amusing.

"Dad, come on! Every time you'd carry one of those other knives, you would always go back to one of your Swiss Army knives. I remover that black handle stockman, and you went back to the SAK. Then you had the sodbuster craze. You carried all those different ones with yellow or black handles, then wen back to the red handled ones with tools on them. Then you had the Case peanut stage where you have a bunch of them. Then you went back to the SAK. Duh, you don't have to hit me with a 2X4 for me to see what was going on. And remember when I was little kid and we were going to Ocean City and beach, and the battery powered toy that was keeping occupied in the back of the van died and I was crying? You stopped at that 7-11 and bought some batteries and used that little screw driver to take off the back of it and replace the batteries and I was a happy camper again. You were always fixing stuff around the house with it. Come on dad, it's a no brainer."

It must be said that John travels a lot for his job, and he's a die hard SAK carrier. There's always one in his checked bags and as far as I can count, he's used a SAK on his travels to the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, France, The Philippines, Uruguay, South Africa, and Sweden.

All those years when I was trying out and playing with other knives, the kids were watching and now my youngest granddaughter has been watching. Who would have thought they'd been that attentive. So all my kids and grandkids are SAK enthusiasts because it was the pocket knife I kept coming back to.

I just wish one them had said something and maybe saved me all that money I sent on those other  knives that all fell by the wayside!

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: Who says kids don't notice?
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:34:40 PM
That is a delightful story to read! I have only been into collecting and using knife for about 5 years now but I have already noticed the same pattern in myself. I will branch out and try other types of knives and always return to my trusty SAKs. I hope one day when I have children and grandchildren that they will be as excited by Swiss Army Knives as yours are!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:56 PM

\

But...it was noticed. On the 3d of August, our granddaughter arrived for her summer visit with the grand folks. 

Great story cbl! :like: :tu: :tu:

That is the way it was in the time period we grew up in. All men carried a pocket knife and the children learned how handy a knife can be for every day chores.

Sadly, there are very few kids now days that get to share that experience.

Congratulations on sharing that experience with your children and grandchildren.....it is something they will always cherish! :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:05:05 PM
Great story, Carl!  And you are right, kids do notice.  :tu:

I guess the question now is, will Bree be a Classic girl or an Executive girl?

My Grandfather gave me my first SAK when I was 9 (close to 10) years-old.  :pok:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:03:20 PM
Good story, Carl!

I have a similar tale.  I too am a SAK devotee, to the point that Victorinox is one of only two brands that I consider myself a "fan boy" for. (The other being Gibson instruments).  Anyway, I've been carrying the same black pioneer as an EDC since 2012, so around 6 years.  My oldest daughter was born in March, 2013 and is now 5, so that's all she's really ever seen me carry.  A few weeks ago, I happened across an old red cross elinox pioneer at a local antique store and picked it up and have been alternating that with the black one.  The very day I got it, she commented on how it wasn't my normal knife. Seems pretty observant for 5. Of course, she then proceeded to tell me that the black one looked ugly and the red one was pretty  ::)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:20:37 PM
Beyond knives my fellow dads.  Kids are paying attention.  Be it integrity, kindness, affection, self discipline, work ethic, quality tools, autos, etc.  Kids are always absorbing everything. 

Reminds me of a story of a father on his death bed summoning his son who was a father.  While at the bedside dad say to his son, I'm very proud of how you grew up and the dad you are today.  I'm thankful you listened to all my lectures and stories and warnings, that you were able to avoid the drama life can send your way.  I'm proud of the dad and husband you are.  The sons responds with, dad, I don't know what you're going on about, I am who I am because of watching you live your life.  I modeled my life on yours. 

Its awesome your own son saw the phases you relate to us.  All the knives you went thru despite IIRC you father only having one knife.  Seems your son didn't need to try every new knife on the market nor did your father.  What is interesting is your journey.  If said it before but here it is again, you may not have come full circle had you not tried all the different knives.  This journey of yours is neat, and your granddaughter is learning a valuable lesson as a result as did your son. 

:salute:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:43 PM
That was a very pleasing read Carl,thank you :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:25:51 PM
Kids notice everything! I learned that years ago.
Life is a circle in the respect of we always come back to the stuff we grew up with. My other craze was with Spyderco...oh boy! Let’s just say, I don’t have any more but I do have my old SAK’s. And two that were my dads. I always kept them and now that I have retired and moved to Florida, they are in storage until I find a place. Until then I am visiting family.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:42:22 PM
Great story and responses too! :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 01:35:33 AM
Good story, Carl!

I have a similar tale.  Anyway, I've been carrying the same black pioneer as an EDC since 2012, so around 6 years.  My oldest daughter was born in March, 2013 and is now 5, so that's all she's really ever seen me carry.  A few weeks ago, I happened across an old red cross elinox pioneer at a local antique store and picked it up and have been alternating that with the black one.  The very day I got it, she commented on how it wasn't my normal knife. Seems pretty observant for 5. Of course, she then proceeded to tell me that the black one looked ugly and the red one was pretty  ::)

Great story gustophersmob ! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:39 AM
Beyond knives my fellow dads.  Kids are paying attention.  Be it integrity, kindness, affection, self discipline, work ethic, quality tools, autos, etc.  Kids are always absorbing everything. 

Reminds me of a story of a father on his death bed summoning his son who was a father.  While at the bedside dad say to his son, I'm very proud of how you grew up and the dad you are today.  I'm thankful you listened to all my lectures and stories and warnings, that you were able to avoid the drama life can send your way.  I'm proud of the dad and husband you are.  The sons responds with, dad, I don't know what you're going on about, I am who I am because of watching you live your life.  I modeled my life on yours. 

Its awesome your own son saw the phases you relate to us.  All the knives you went thru despite IIRC you father only having one knife.  Seems your son didn't need to try every new knife on the market nor did your father.  What is interesting is your journey.  If said it before but here it is again, you may not have come full circle had you not tried all the different knives.  This journey of yours is neat, and your granddaughter is learning a valuable lesson as a result as did your son. 

Well said Aloha! :cheers:

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 01:41:49 AM
 :cheers:
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 01:22:26 PM

\

But...it was noticed. On the 3d of August, our granddaughter arrived for her summer visit with the grand folks. 

Great story cbl! :like: :tu: :tu:

That is the way it was in the time period we grew up in. All men carried a pocket knife and the children learned how handy a knife can be for every day chores.

Sadly, there are very few kids now days that get to share that experience.

Congratulations on sharing that experience with your children and grandchildren.....it is something they will always cherish! :cheers:

+1

I try to spread the word every chance I get, but some friends still say "why do I need to carry a knife if you awlways have yours when I need one?"

:facepalm:

Hey, I'm not going to be by your side awll the time, am I?!

:pok: :pok:

Yes, you are! You're my friend!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:  :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Just get your own knife, you smurf!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
Great story, Carl!  And you are right, kids do notice.  :tu:

I guess the question now is, will Bree be a Classic girl or an Executive girl?

My Grandfather gave me my first SAK when I was 9 (close to 10) years-old.  :pok:

Yup, I'd say she's old enough (and knife savvy enough) to have her own SAK.

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 01:26:28 PM
Good story, Carl!

I have a similar tale.  I too am a SAK devotee, to the point that Victorinox is one of only two brands that I consider myself a "fan boy" for. (The other being Gibson instruments).  Anyway, I've been carrying the same black pioneer as an EDC since 2012, so around 6 years.  My oldest daughter was born in March, 2013 and is now 5, so that's all she's really ever seen me carry.  A few weeks ago, I happened across an old red cross elinox pioneer at a local antique store and picked it up and have been alternating that with the black one.  The very day I got it, she commented on how it wasn't my normal knife. Seems pretty observant for 5. Of course, she then proceeded to tell me that the black one looked ugly and the red one was pretty  ::)

Pff... girls! I bet she just wanted to keep the red one for herself. She didn't want you to use it and pablo it before she's old enough to get it.

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:29 PM

We awl have our "I-want-to-try-everything" phases (and not only with knives). Sometimes, we awlready know before hand what is worth it and what isn't, but still we try everything. It's part of growing up. If we enjoy the different things we experience during that process, it's not a waste of time/money/effort.

That's what makes life.

:tu: :hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:57 PM
Life is a circle in the respect of we always come back to the stuff we grew up with. My other craze was with Spyderco...oh boy! Let’s just say, I don’t have any more but I do have my old SAK’s. And two that were my dads. I always kept them and now that I have retired and moved to Florida, they are in storage until I find a place. Until then I am visiting family.

Spyderco was one of the brands that got me into knife collecting/hoarding/obsessing/loving/admiring (select one or several). Still have a few but don't EDC them often. I've been thinking about selling them. Haven't done it yet because they're part of The Collection. When I get over the material things in my life, I'll try to pass The Collection along to someone(s) who would appreciate/enjoy it as much as I do.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:34 PM
Good story, Carl!

Pff... girls! I bet she just wanted to keep the red one for herself. She didn't want you to use it and pablo it before she's old enough to get it.

:D :D :D :D

Ha, she did ask if she could have it, so I think you're on to something there!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Online cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 02:05:10 PM

Spyderco was one of the brands that got me into knife collecting/hoarding/obsessing/loving/admiring (select one or several). Still have a few but don't EDC them often. I've been thinking about selling them. Haven't done it yet because they're part of The Collection. When I get over the material things in my life, I'll try to pass The Collection along to someone(s) who would appreciate/enjoy it as much as I do.

8) 8)

When I did my first of the big downsize of myeline, it was more liberating than I would have thought. Idid a massive sell off of my knife collection, gun collection, and excess tools that I had duplicates of. It was like getting a ball and chain off my leg. I took the money from the sale of the small Randall and other custom knife collection and the better half and I took a month long camping trip around the whole country counter clockwise from our home in Maryland. Hit the Badlands in S.Dakota,Custer National park in Montana, Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon, then over to Arches and anyone Lands and then Mesa Verde. Had a Ball.

I haven't missed any of the guns and none of the knives. Now I own only a handful of SAK's and a few guns, mostly .22's for plinking and target shooting. I was never really into hunting.

Oh, on the big camping trip, I used a Victorinox Camper! :tu:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:07:10 PM by cbl51 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 03:41:29 PM

8) 8)

When I did my first of the big downsize of myeline, it was more liberating than I would have thought. Idid a massive sell off of my knife collection, gun collection, and excess tools that I had duplicates of. It was like getting a ball and chain off my leg. I took the money from the sale of the small Randall and other custom knife collection and the better half and I took a month long camping trip around the whole country counter clockwise from our home in Maryland. Hit the Badlands in S.Dakota,Custer National park in Montana, Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon, then over to Arches and anyone Lands and then Mesa Verde. Had a Ball.

I haven't missed any of the guns and none of the knives. Now I own only a handful of SAK's and a few guns, mostly .22's for plinking and target shooting. I was never really into hunting.

I might be getting close to do that myself. The other day I was putting away a new SAK I'd just bought and found a knife I had forgotten I had.

I mean, if I forgot about it, it's not even a shelf queen. I could've go on for months/years without missing it. So, why keep it?!

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 03:50:04 PM
You may now be approaching the hoarding stage  :oops:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 03:56:54 PM
You may now be approaching the hoarding stage  :oops:

You may now be approaching finally ready to leave the hoarding stage  :oops:

FTFY

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 04:02:55 PM

8) 8)

I might be getting close to do that myself. The other day I was putting away a new SAK I'd just bought and found a knife I had forgotten I had.

I mean, if I forgot about it, it's not even a shelf queen. I could've go on for months/years without missing it. So, why keep it?!

Something similar to this is what pushed me firmly into the no shelf queens camp.  For me, I decided if I wasn't going to use it, it needed to go.

I still have far more knives than a "normal" person, but I imagine I'm on the low side by MTO standards  ;)

us Online cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 04:06:34 PM

8) 8)

Something similar to this is what pushed me firmly into the no shelf queens camp.  For me, I decided if I wasn't going to use it, it needed to go.

I still have far more knives than a "normal" person, but I imagine I'm on the low side by MTO standards  ;)

My standard has become the one year mark. Guns, SAK's, clothing, whatever.

If I haven't used it in a year, then it goes. No if's and or but's.One year. That way I figure if it made it through all four seasons and not been needed, then I don't need it in my life.

It's soooooo liberating!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:37 PM
Thats a great way to go about purging certain items.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 04:12:07 PM

Hum...

Show content
Cousin Bob? Yeah, it's me. We haven't talked in over a year, right?...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 04:13:11 PM

Hum...

Show content

Trust me, there's a whole list I'd love to do this with...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 04:14:15 PM

Hum...

Show content

Trust me, there's a whole list I'd love to do this with...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 04:14:59 PM

8) 8)

The money from the Spyderco’s I sold went for two Randalls knives. One for my son, and one for me. Don’t miss the Spyderco’s one bit.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 04:16:37 PM

8) 8)

The money from the Spyderco’s I sold went for two Randalls knives. One for my son, and one for me. Don’t miss the Spyderco’s one bit.

Miss The!

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD