Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool pliers question

MMR · 29 · 3378

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Skeletool pliers question
on: September 03, 2018, 12:43:07 PM
Disclaimer:
- I don't won a skeletool and never have.
- I am asking for a friend
- This is asked out of interest in the skeletool, and not meant to be provocative or offensive in any way.

I have a friend who's looking into getting a skeletool, mainly for EDC and hiking usage and he thought the skeletool would be great for him......Anyway: after doing what most people do nowadays before buying something, namely; watching youtube reviews and reading different review articles as well, there seem to be a lot of mentioning about the pliers being "weak" and snapping.

Which reminded me of a recent post on here where one member reported he was trying to crimp something and the pliers snapped. After reading up on this further, I found that Leatherman at some point acknowledged this issue and added an additional millimetre of thickness to the pliers, so in theory current models being sold (given that they were manufactured after Leatherman "fixed" the issue) shouldn't have this problem? ...yet, unclear of exactly when Leatherman addressed this, I still see people reporting this issue.

Anyway, my question is; are the pliers really that "weak" on the skeletool that it is such a commonly reported issue? ...even after Leatherman did something about it?

...and does anyone know when Leatherman addressed the issue? ...one youtube mentioned that you can spot the before / after models by a small "hole" on the pliers. I will see if I can find the video in question, and post it here.
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Re: Skeletool pliers question
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:49:08 PM
...one youtube mentioned that you can spot the before / after models by a small "hole" on the pliers. I will see if I can find the video in question, and post it here.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmeSldgGPRo&frags=pl%2Cwn

Fast forward to the 9 min marker...
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:56:21 PM
The Skeletool...

*shudders*

... is one of the worst tools I have encountered from a major manufacturer in terms of ergonomics. Some people love them though. Get your friend to try handling one in all modes before buying it.

I never tested one to it's limits (though I was tempted to see how far I could throw one, because it tested me to my limits) so I'm not the best person to answer durability questions. However, hiking is not something that I tend to associate with needing heavy pliers, and my two outdoors kits have a modified Fuse in one, and a Juice KF4 in the other.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 01:09:15 PM
For hiking I would rather a saw before pliers and prefer actual screwdrivers to bits which may get lost.
The pliers on mine haven't broken yet but I am careful with what I use them for (which isn't much).

EDIT: Just heard on the video that "Leathermans tend to rust if you don't keep them dry or coated with oil." I have never oiled mine and have no rust.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:12:25 PM by Syncop8r »

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:45:21 PM
It's down to individual wants and needs.

Me; I first had a Kick = Loved it.....then had a Charge TTi = Decided it was too much for me after 3 of EDC'ing it....then bought an OHT = Decided that it wasn't for me at all.....then I bought a Rebar =  I love the thing to death and it has been on my belt since the day I received it.

As for my friend, He has had a few knive-based MT's from victorinox, not that there's anything wrong with them, but he just decided that he wanted a pliers based MT instead, he then carried a LM Juice for a while, which he liked a lot, but he lost it last week while commuting either to or from work, so he has been looking for a replacement since, and he has set his eyes on a skeletool, because he found that it has the features that he needs (knife, bit driver and pliers), which he needs because he tends to bring a lot of photography equipment with him when he ventures into nature, and he needs the bits for that.

As for the saw: Both me and my friend carry a foldable saw separate in out backpack when we go hiking / camping. None of us are fans of the saws found in multitools.

But anyway back on topic, as the thread is enquiring about the pliers in the skeletool
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:46:39 PM by MMR »
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:59:39 PM
Is there really no one who has anything to add / contribute with regarding the pliers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:53 PM
I carry a Skeletool in urban and outdoor environments frequently.  It's a great lightweight tool to pair with more full-featured SAKs, offering a bit more utility than a dedicated OHO knife.  I consider the pliers a larger, more convenient substitute for a SAK plier.

The pliers are light duty, much the same as Juice pliers, and are sufficiently sturdy for the light-duty tasks they were designed for.  In other words, don't use it for heavy-duty tasks unless in emergency situations, and it will hold up just fine.

Juice, Skeletool, SAK: light duty

PST, Mini, Pulse, Wave, Rebar, Swisstool Spirit: medium duty

ST, Surge, Swisstool: heavy duty
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:40:07 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 06:32:27 PM
Skeletool (w/fly), Juice Kf4, PST:

You can see below that the Skeletool plier head is slightly more substantial than the Juice around the pivot.  I find that that the design of the Skeletool handles allow more leverage than the Juice.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:34:24 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 06:35:53 PM
I think Terry pretty much sums it up. It's a light to medium light duty plier and it should hold up for what your friend needs it for. If he's concerned I would suggest a Kick with clip and a bit extender so he could use other bits.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 06:44:19 PM
Skeletool (w/fly), Juice Kf4, PST:

(Image removed from quote.)

You can see below that the Skeletool plier head is slightly more substantial than the Juice around the pivot.  I find that that the design of the Skeletool handles allow more leverage than the Juice.

I can see a fly photo bombing on the first pic.  :P sorry to go off topic..

I have broken both a juice and skeletool pliers before.. But both times I was doing stupid things.. ie. Twisting.... I am not sure on the "newer" pliers on the skeletool.. But to break them by squeezing them hard together is to me, a rather difficult thing to do. They are light duty anyway.. Use them in their rightful capacity.

Offline jday2727

Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:37:32 PM
The Skeletool is without a doubt the one thing that goes with me while hiking, canyoning every single time. If camping/fishing/hunting I usually take something a bit bigger, but to me when Im on the edge of a 50 ft cliff I dont have much need for a big multitool. One handed blade, basic screwdrivers, and pliers (especially with cactus encounters) are the perfect setup imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 09:46:37 PM
Is there really no one who has anything to add / contribute with regarding the pliers?
I sold mine before they broke.  HTH. :D

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:36:19 PM
You da man NutSAK!

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 11:14:41 PM
 :salute:  You're welcome MMR.

Pretty much any SAK with an awl and wood saw, scissors optional, is great as companion carry w/the Skele for hiking:

Farmer
Huntsman
Camper
GAK

- Terry

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 03:31:09 AM
I carry a Skeletool in urban and outdoor environments frequently.  It's a great lightweight tool to pair with more full-featured SAKs, offering a bit more utility than a dedicated OHO knife.  I consider the pliers a larger, more convenient substitute for a SAK plier.

The pliers are light duty, much the same as Juice pliers, and are sufficiently sturdy for the light-duty tasks they were designed for.  In other words, don't use it for heavy-duty tasks unless in emergency situations, and it will hold up just fine.

Juice, Skeletool, SAK: light duty

PST, Mini, Pulse, Wave, Rebar, Swisstool Spirit: medium duty

ST, Surge, Swisstool: heavy duty

I would tend to agree with your analysis . I just repurchased one , basically for lightish EDC tasks , with the OHO  Blade, and drivers adding additional functionality . I will probably be pairing it with a Huntsman , or Pioneer X . Not sure wether this setup will be used more for play , or work .

Best Regards ,

Chris
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:33:54 AM by Old man Chris »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 06:39:09 AM
I carry my Skeletool CX around the house and at times on my off days.  I find the pliers suitable for most chores I run into.  A quick tighten of a bike nut, turning most Phillips and flat screws.  The blade is as nice as most liner lock knives.  Is it a heavy use tool?  Heres my take, if you are trying to get by then I'll use whatever tool I have.  If I am around the home and a larger tool is needed then I'll go get one.  If you decided to take it hiking or camping and adjustments will be made to camp stoves, lanterns, or other equipment then why not.  If this is your tool for unexpected situations then, maybe not.

I like to have a plier based tool when hiking and camping.  I've brought my OG Supertool, Wave, Swisstool, and Spirit with me.  I like having a few options and each covers quite a lot. 

We hear all the time about certain tools busting.  I don't worry too much about those experiences tho I do keep them in mind. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:50 PM
If You use it for heavy tasks in a bad manner surely you will snap it

There are many donkeys out there...  :facepalm:

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 03:54:47 PM
I carry my Skeletool CX around the house and at times on my off days.  I find the pliers suitable for most chores I run into.  A quick tighten of a bike nut, turning most Phillips and flat screws.  The blade is as nice as most liner lock knives.  Is it a heavy use tool?  Heres my take, if you are trying to get by then I'll use whatever tool I have.  If I am around the home and a larger tool is needed then I'll go get one.  If you decided to take it hiking or camping and adjustments will be made to camp stoves, lanterns, or other equipment then why not.  If this is your tool for unexpected situations then, maybe not.

I like to have a plier based tool when hiking and camping.  I've brought my OG Supertool, Wave, Swisstool, and Spirit with me.  I like having a few options and each covers quite a lot.
We hear all the time about certain tools busting.  I don't worry too much about those experiences tho I do keep them in mind.

Pretty much my feeling about it . The one I just bought shows great fit and finish , the bronze washer gives the folder portion of the piece , a really nice action , really smooth , right out of the box ! Leatherman seems to be stepping up their F/F game , of late .

Best Regards,

Chris

Offline Escremo

• New User
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 11:53:33 PM
Despite the identical look, pliers on juice are much stronger. I have juice c2 and cs4 and never was able to brake them with adequate use. I broke the Skeletool pliers on second day, being too cocky after juices. And it’s normal. The general thought is that pliers on Skeletool are massively over hardened. Who knows for what reason.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 02:02:20 AM
The Skeletool...

*shudders*

... is one of the worst tools I have encountered from a major manufacturer in terms of ergonomics. Some people love them though. Get your friend to try handling one in all modes before buying it.

I agree, using it as a screwdriver especially.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 04:56:22 AM
I agree, using it as a screwdriver especially.

Are you following Kampfer's Rule? (see top half of image below)

Also, many of us find the screwdriver less awkward to use if the pliers are folded into the 'front' half of the Skele - creates more of a straight line to rotate around  :think: (Kampfer has a good pic somewhere).

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 06:44:13 AM
I use the Skeletool as my daily and because the pliers is a lighter duty grab a heavier MT or dedicated pliers if not inconvenient. Otherwise I push it but not to the extent of breaking it. The way it flexes I can tell it would break.

For hiking I carry the Wave or Rebar, I guess the Signal would work. Maybe your friend can look into it as it has the same Skeletool format? Hope this helps.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 02:51:56 PM
Despite the identical look, pliers on juice are much stronger. I have juice c2 and cs4 and never was able to brake them with adequate use. I broke the Skeletool pliers on second day, being too cocky after juices. And it’s normal. The general thought is that pliers on Skeletool are massively over hardened. Who knows for what reason.

Oh boy.  Can you share how this happened? 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 04:14:26 PM

When using a screwdriver you keep the head seated square in the head of the screw to stop slipping, especially important if the head of the screw is worn.

This is impossible to do with the skeletool while turning it with just a twist of the wrist.

It’s just plain awkward.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

Offline stugumby

Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 11:28:40 PM
earliest skeletools had a thinner plier head and a slightly slimmer spread width, head got beefef up and spread increased. also did a blade swap from plain to semi serrated etc, same for the carbon fibre ones. the older ones with the slim grip are more comfortable to me. its another of my love-hate relationship tools, just like the juice. good for some things, not for others. Minimalists seem to crave and rave about it.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 12:44:28 AM
Oh wow, thanks for this one, makes a lot of sense with a Signal
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:55 PM
Even though I rate the Skeletool high on my EDC list (in fact I am carrying it right now). I would never carry it as a camping too. The Rebar, ST300 (my pick), Swiss Tool, or Spirit are all better choices because they lend themselves to being used for an extended period. OHO tools are great, but you should never be carrying a MT in the woods for their blade. If you are depending on a MT for a cutting edge in the woods or outdoors in general you need your head examined. A MT should probably be the 3rd blade you carry.

Also the Mut has WAY WAY worse ergos than the Skeletool. However, I do love the toolset on the MUT.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 02:55:36 PM
Last season of Alone a guy used his MT to break down a Moose  :pok:.  Now before I get too far down any one path I would agree a MT for me and my outdoor use is about the 3rd knife I have  :salute:.  I would tend to go with a larger MT as I mention earlier in the thread.  The Skeletool is a good tool but as with all MTs it does have its limits.   
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: December 02, 2019, 11:23:47 AM
OHO tools are great, but you should never be carrying a MT in the woods for their blade. If you are depending on a MT for a cutting edge in the woods or outdoors in general you need your head examined. A MT should probably be the 3rd blade you carry.
Thanks, I'll arrange to get my head examined ASAP. I only carry one blade in the wilderness and it's on a multitool, usually a SAK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%