Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for suggestions ultimate dad EDC

Offline bugsy714

Looking for suggestions ultimate dad EDC
on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:41 AM
Hey there I am trying to come up with the ultimate EDC combo for a dad on the go. Looking to layer a Leatherman with a Sak.

Functions I need scissors tweezers that actually work LOL nail file / maintenance tool pliers awl assorted screwdrivers and possibly a saw. I carry a full-time pocket knife so I don't need blades on any of my multi tools

Open to all suggestions mainly looking for pocketable items as I have quite a load out and I like the juice S2 for its pocket ability and Giant scissors

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Looking for suggestions ultimate dad EDC
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:30:01 AM
How old are the kids?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:16:10 AM
I'd get an S2 and a Mauser. ;)

de Offline Shuya

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:28 AM
My combination as a father of a little daughter:
Vic Outrider plus LM PST.
Does everything without beeing too bulky in hand when in use. Thought about Vic Workchamp but droped that idea.

Do not carry any other knife, what for? 111mm SAK is capable of everything. Tweezers for splinters, scissors for bandaids, small long Phlips for battery changes, saw for the walking stick, corkscrew for daddy in the evening, pliers for the small tinkering....
Only thing missing is a needle, dont know why Vic didnt add that to their larger tools. But since i got one in my FAK its ok.  :climber:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:06:18 PM
Being a father to younger kids entails changing a lot of batteries, so Phillips SD is a must, and the backside Phillips isn't always going to cut it.

Scissors are also important for safety reasons, in case you need to do any cutting near the little ones. Cutting a loose thread from their clothing, opening food packages, and especially the presents at Christmas time and birthdays.

My suggestion would be something like the Explorer.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:14:13 PM by trichosirius »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:11:32 PM
Tweezers: Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers (the other two suggestions below have tweezers, but these are better)

Swiss knife: Victorinox Delamont Evolution or EvoGrip 18. If you don't want micro serrations on the scissors, then Victorinox Fieldmaster.

Pliers: Style PS (the scissors will probably crap out on you, but you have better ones on the evo 18 anyway), or track down an older PST or Sideclip

Very pocketable, and ticks off everything you specified.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:24:22 PM
Don't forget baby wipes and a super soaker to keep them in line.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 01:55:51 PM
Tweezers: Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers (the other two suggestions below have tweezers, but these are better)

Swiss knife: Victorinox Delamont Evolution or EvoGrip 18. If you don't want micro serrations on the scissors, then Victorinox Fieldmaster.

Pliers: Style PS (the scissors will probably crap out on you, but you have better ones on the evo 18 anyway), or track down an older PST or Sideclip

Very pocketable, and ticks off everything you specified.
I just googled the Uncle Bills tweezers and they look like they are built like a tank. Thanks for sharing.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:20:36 PM
With six Grand children the tool I use the most for kid's are

Back side Phillips to open the MANY MANY battery doors on toys.
Cap lifter to open apple juice encrusted battery door on toys.
Small Vic pliers for slivers because many playgrounds are still wood.
Scissors for snacks.
Back side hook, oppen it up and give it to them and tell them to pretend they're captain Hook.( I've kept kids entertained for hours doing this)

Now on Christmas or Birthdays I would recommend a Swisschamp because you'll be putting toys together.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 06:32:57 PM
A Spirit X with a Manager would cover most bases.  :salute:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:22 PM
I know you said you had a folder and don't need any blades but you wouldn't need the folder with a sak/mt combo setup.

I have carried the Explorer for some time now and yeah with kid's, grand kid's etc I find the inline philips the best and when some things are too small to make out, the mag lens is perfect for me and I use it quite a bit.

So that said, I would go with the Explorer and Rebar combo.  The Rebar has plain and serrated blades (serrated is very handy) and also has the file and saw plus all the smaller tools of course as well as some nice plier's in a pretty compact setup.

On a side note, the 111mm's I like alot too so something like the Outrider/Hercules and the Rebar would also make a great combo with a ton of tool choices!  I had an Outrider but foolishly sold it and now regret it!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 09:04:17 PM
Ive got a few suggestions:

Leatherman Rebar and the Victorinox Explorer. Nice inline Philips screw driver on the Explorer and you still get the cork screw if you want it. No real nail file, though, just the rougher one on the Rebar, which can be serviceable if you use the single hatch side gently.

Or, you may not really need to layer a Leatherman with a Swiss Army Knife...say, a Leatherman Rebar with a Leatherman Micra. That's just about everything you need, including some robust tweezers, some of the best scissors you will ever find on a multi-tool, and a nail file/cleaner.

Or...a Leatherman PSTII and a Victorinox Camper II. The PSTII scissors are really top notch (same as the Micra,  just a different handle). GREAT file on the PSTII, and it is MUCH slimmer to pocket carry than the Rebar.

Or...Leatherman original PST and a Victorinox Huntsman. No nail file, though. Just the wood saw on PST.

Or Leatherman original PST and the Mountaineer. Good file on the mountaineer, just be gentle.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 09:52:31 PM
Executive and a Mauser.  :pok:

Hi there bugsy!  :waving:

I hope you didn't expect to get a straight answer from MTO. :D
- Terry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 10:23:22 PM
Another Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper fan here.  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:38 AM
Explorer Plus.  Gets the wonderful inline phillips, mag glass, opening layers, pen, pin, mini driver, all in a stand alone tool or paired with a MT.

Manager.  Keychain sized, yet more than capable.  Pen, mini phillips, file, small flat driver, and the small blade can act as a razor blade to an extent.

Wenger Pocket Tool Chest.  I just got one and it went straight onto my car keys.  Mini drivers, awl, serrated scissors, file, tooth pick and tweezers, bottle opener all in 65mm.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 02:09:32 AM
Rebar and a Compact. Scissors that are good, a nail file that is good (but small), a shoe lace hook, good pliers and screwdrivers, and a good knife blade that is unlikely to panic the panicy people.

Of course, if you want scissors that are only meh, a Wave.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:06:41 AM
As soon as you say MT/SAK combo I think Compact for the SAK half.  Great tool load in a 2 layer SAK.
Juice or Squirt depending on your plier needs.
- Steve

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 09:16:53 AM
Ask ten different MTO members what to carry and you get eleven different answers. :rofl:
I don’t think that you can go very wrong with any of the combos suggested above, just try them out and see what you like. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline AZ_Hiker

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 08:29:05 AM
On the weekends when I'm out and about with the boy (3-1/2 years old), I'm usually carrying a 111mm Picknicker and a Style PS.  The long serrated blade on the Picknicker is great for cutting up apples or anything else that needs to be made bite sized.   That knife is super light for its size and quite pocketable.  The Style PS covers any small scissor needs, and its nail file/Phillips driver tool is very nice for getting battery doors open.  The small pliers in the PS do the trick when I need to grab something small with a bit more force than fingers can manage. 

Looking forward to the day when he's old enough for his first Victorinox.  I sure remember mine, it was my grandfather's Hiker. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%