Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I get back into "gaming"? 2683

No Life Club Posts: 3,994 Improvise.
Should I get back into "gaming"?
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:35:28 AM »
This thread isn't really about me per se, just how far gaming has come since I was into it a few years ago.  My computer is a few years old and can't play any new games..so I've been pondering getting an XBox 360.  Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead look really good, and both are exclusive to the XBox I think.  Left 4 Dead is basically a co-op zombie/end of the world type game where four people fight (shoot/blow up) their way to safety..there are some cool youtube vids of it. 

There's also a new Call of Duty that looks stunning..I've only seen parts of the commercial on TV, but it looks like they finally brought the series to the Pacific theatre..

How does the internet/multitplayer aspect of the XBox work?  Is it like a paid subscription, or is it free?

There's probably going to be some sweet deals this time of year on gaming systems to.

[
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,568
Re: Should I get back into "gaming"?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:38:11 AM »
Buy a PS3, it's better! I have both, and I really like the PS3. Free online gaming is another great thing! Plus, I go on the forum from my 50 inch plasma! Thanks to the PS3 internet and a USB keyboard!

B
No Life Club Posts: 3,371 Naked without my multitool!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:42:24 AM »
xbox 360 and ps3 are good for the typical male gamer.
If you want good family fun console go for the wii  :D

Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!
No Life Club Posts: 3,360 You will not laugh! You will not cry!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:18:40 AM »
To play online with the Xbox you have to pay some $ a month, butt it’s not that expensive. There is also a rumor going around that Microsoft are going too make Xbox Live free in the future. The servers that Microsoft use are much more stable than Sony’s.

As for what system you are going to buy you should have in the back of your head. Both consoles have games that are exclusive too them, PS3 have Gran Turismo 5 and Tekken, Xbox 360 have Gears of War, Bioshock, Halo and Masseffect. If you want to play one of those games that is exclusive to one console then buy that console. Go to the a store and test both machines, find out what you like. Do you want to putt the extra $$ in a PS3 because it got BluRay? I got a Xbox 360, and the only reason why I bought it was because of the price and it had some games that I wanted too play that was exclusive to Xbox.

Go to a store and test both machines out and buy the one you like.

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,568
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »
Resistance Fall of Man, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War are some more PS3 exclusives!

B
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »
Resistance Fall of Man, Metal Gear Solid, and God of War are some more PS3 exclusives!

Sorry, completely forgot those games. Not up to date on PS3 front since I have a 360. God of War is a mighty good game.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,271
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 10:50:44 AM »
I guess that sweetie you were dating didn't work out like you wanted or you wouldn't be asking this!

sorry bro. I won't get back into it because i still refuse to pay 40, 50, 60 bucks per game!
f..orget that! I'll go camping and hiking and travel and get more MTs and Blades and gear!
(and other fishies!)

so NO :D

No Life Club Posts: 2,562
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
GTA games are my favorites, shooters too, but I'm done with games console and pc. They tend to eat too much time, and it's really time wasted.
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,538
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
I spend far to much time at this site:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/

The one I was playing last night was this:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/ConArtists/the-last-stand-2

Who needs a PS3 or X360 I say!  ;)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
No Life Club Posts: 4,230 I just don't know what went wrong.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
Flash games ftw! Gareth, you got a username on there? XD

Got those frog legs.
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,441 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
My primary machine is also a few years old, and perhaps a bit on the lean side to play some newer games. I'm finding it harder to accept even more since I switched to linux that a lot of games just won't run in linux, and I'm too damn lazy to reboot just to play a game for 20min.

I do have a Wii. Xbox360s keep getting cheaper while PS3 seems to be only for those with deep pockets (and with the way the economy is lately, not very many of us) I don't have an HD tv, rather I have a 29inch 100Hz CRT tv, that has a great picture for what it is, when it dies, I'll upgrade.

I find the Wii to be fun but I do miss some of the more graphically enhanced games I used to run on a PC. FPS on a console seems wrong to me.

All that being said, I got the WoW battlechest for dirt cheap and set it up on my linux box, runs great, looks decent and kills my craving for gaming for the moment.

Left4Dead looks great, and is available for PC as well, in fact I was talking to Def about it the other day.

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
No Life Club Posts: 4,532 Hello...is this thing on?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:30:53 PM »
FPS on a console seems wrong to me.

Well said that man :salute:

Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
The last FPS games I've played on a console were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 about 9 years ago...I agree, FPS on a PC are the best.  I like the mouse and keyboard setup, although the controller on the N64 (and I imagine all the new gen controllers) are good to.

The main reason I want to get a console instead of a new PC is

#1 the price,

and #2...I don't need a new PC!

Consoles have come a long way to the point where it's basically a "PC" in itself...but it specializes in running games.

Another questions about the XBox...I've got a cable/internet coax that goes into my TV...it it goes right to my cable box..how can I connect my XBox?

[
No Life Club Posts: 1,894
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:14 PM »
Another questions about the XBox...I've got a cable/internet coax that goes into my TV...it it goes right to my cable box..how can I connect my XBox?

You ask the cable company for a router and a small length of cat5 cable to hook it up to the Xbox. They should either have them for free or charge a small nominal fee.

Now, the answer to "Should I get an Xbox 360?" is a resounding "Yes!"

It has a cheaper overall price and the buy-in price for the games is a lot lower than the PS3. It also have some major games that are must-plays for this generation. I'll only post a couple but this is something I could talk about all day:

FPS/RPG:
Bioshock
Fallout 3

FPS:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty (5): World at War
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (This is a really good one, has 5 excellent games on one disc.)
Halo 3
Gears of War and Gears of War 2

Other:
Ace Combat 6
Dead Space
Condemned and Condemned 2
Grand Theft Auto IV

If you get an Xbox 360 make sure you get one from an actual B&M store and buy a warranty if you can, that way if you get the ol' "red ring of death" you can just return it them without having to send it back to Microsoft. I've never had problem with mine but it's something to be aware of with this piece of hardware.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »
If you get an Xbox 360 make sure you get one from an actual B&M store and buy a warranty if you can, that way if you get the ol' "red ring of death" you can just return it them without having to send it back to Microsoft. I've never had problem with mine but it's something to be aware of with this piece of hardware.

Microsoft have solved The red ring of death as far as I know, but with a 5 year warranty it’s nothing to be afraid of.

I’m looking forward too Bioshock 2, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5 and Gears of War 3 when they decide too make it official  that they will make it.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,550
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »
I've mostly stopped playing games, the cost of game like mentioned is getting very expensive, and the cost of keep hardware upgraded is even more so.

FPS on a console seems wrong to me.

Funny you mentioned that, I was JUST playing some co op shooter on PS2, and I always get killed when 5 or 6 bad guys rush me. If it was on PC I would be able to take them all out before they even get close.

The game store clerk mentioned on PS3 there's a mouse attachment for shooter games.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »
In general I'd love to have a PS3, I just think they're out of the ballpark price wise... 400eur worth of upgrades to my PC would make it a beast of a system (which I'd prefer)

No Life Club Posts: 4,783 I miss Benner
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
Well I still play only Diablo on the PC. However Baby Hawkchucker really wants the wii for X mas so I guess I will get one for her.

S
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »
I got diablo2 running in linux (with CXGames)...

I'm really hopeful for Diablo3... I'd still like to find a decent fps type game that has coop stuff like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six, and of course, doesn't require a 400eur video card to get the min video spec.

I'm really missing having Test Drive Unlimited... it was one of my fav driving games ever... but doesn't run in linux (yet). I even have a Wheel... I suspect like many games it's the CD protection crap that doesn't work...

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:22 AM »
Have Diablo 2 myself but I never seemed to get into it. Just like Gun. I was given it 2 years ago and only played it one time. I guess I just like the older stuff.

S
No Life Club Posts: 3,371 Naked without my multitool!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Well I still play only Diablo on the PC. However Baby Hawkchucker really wants the wii for X mas so I guess I will get one for her.

I doubt only BHC will use the wii, it can be tad addictive even for adults :D

Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:49 PM »
I'd still like to find a decent fps type game that has coop stuff like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six, and of course, doesn't require a 400eur video card to get the min video spec.

Yeah eh? No body makes coop anymore, even if one's included it's more like an afterthought. Me and my buddy was looking all over for a good coop on ps2 and there aren't any. Actually we've found one, conflict global terror, really really fun coop shooter, and you can actually play through the entire campaign in coop.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
In Gears of War 2 you have coop campain......kick ass game

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »
In Gears of War 2 you have coop campain......kick ass game
see my comments about FPS on consoles, not needing a 400eur video card... and as far as I know, GOW2 is not on PC yet?

Left4dead seems to be a good option at the moment, but I've not looked at the requirements yet, guessing it won't run in linux.

I enjoyed Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter when it came out... but I never managed to get a group of friends that play to have a go at coop.

Another question is how much longer can the gaming industry ignore the linux market? Aside from Unreal and Quake franchises, most seem to ignore linux (and Mac for that matter) except maybe Blizzard who doesn't have native linux support, but does support Mac.

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »

I used to luv Diablo! the hours I spent in the dungeons ( :think: was that in a game?)
I used to just collect the best armour by going down, and coming up to trade!

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Not only that you can get some cool stuff. Save it, and start the game over! I was at one time able to run through like 3 levels in 20 min with what I had.

S
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:07:53 AM »
it's been awhile since I played, I remember something about super armour and/or weapons,
I don't know it if was a rumor or what, do you know?

and for some reason this always reminded me of the game (click on it);
76.82 kB | 160x160
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:10:15 AM by WhichDawg »

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
I used to spend way too much time on Diablo2. Had every single item in game, even had the game mechanics figured out completely along with other people on one of the forums. Geez what forum was it, it's not the blizzard forum, I spent most of my time in the single player subforum.
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:58 AM »
Can games get updated on the XBox through your 'net connection?  Like do they update/patch games and give you the option of downloading it? 

[
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
Can games get updated on the XBox through your 'net connection?  Like do they update/patch games and give you the option of downloading it? 

Yeas they can

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $86.83
PayPal Fees: $5.27
Net Balance: $81.56
Below Goal: $218.44
Site Currency: USD
27%