Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Experiences with WORKPRO tools

MMR · 62 · 6213

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Experiences with WORKPRO tools
Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 03:57:07 PM
Got this one on the way. Looking forward to trying this one out. Should arrive Tuesday. :)

https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Multitool-Locking-Cutters-Stainless/dp/B07PGNJ61P/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2IQ85M43UD5KC&keywords=workpro+multitool&qid=1561915430&s=gateway&sprefix=workpro+multi%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

That might be the best of both worlds, the design of their Heavy Duty tool, with most of its tools, but 4" long, and with scissors. As long as the scissors are decent. But in any case it's nice to see the HD tool platform scaled down to 4" at least.
I look forward to your thoughts! :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 05:48:33 PM
That might be the best of both worlds, the design of their Heavy Duty tool, with most of its tools, but 4" long, and with scissors. As long as the scissors are decent. But in any case it's nice to see the HD tool platform scaled down to 4" at least.
I look forward to your thoughts! :like:

Totally agree! I cancelled my order from amazon but ordered from another source.. So mine is going to take a while. Rarely do a good C&C tool come in a 4in package. Usually they are blocky and unwieldy.. Looking forward to your review.  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 08:26:31 PM
Sorry guys. As is came from the factory, it is closer to the junk end of the scale than to the cheerful end.

Scissors are pure smurf crap(barely cut paper), fit and finish are about 50% of the heavy duty 4.5" version. Pliers have so much play that I have trouble cutting 18g stranded wire with them. The saw has 4mm or so of uncut length for teeth and the two rows of teeth are not even. Phillips driver is among the worst I've seen.
I will take pics later to better show what I received.

The scissor design is O.K. I must say, but the QC of them is terrible on my example. Like a set of PowerPint scissors, but that have poor cutting geometry and pivot tolerances.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 09:14:50 PM
Sorry guys. As is came from the factory, it is closer to the junk end of the scale than to the cheerful end.

Scissors are pure smurf crap(barely cut paper), fit and finish are about 50% of the heavy duty 4.5" version. Pliers have so much play that I have trouble cutting 18g stranded wire with them. The saw has 4mm or so of uncut length for teeth and the two rows of teeth are not even. Phillips driver is among the worst I've seen.
I will take pics later to better show what I received.

The scissor design is O.K. I must say, but the QC of them is terrible on my example. Like a set of PowerPint scissors, but that have poor cutting geometry and pivot tolerances.

Oh my goodnesssssss..... Thats a nightmare to hear.. I rarely hear you make such bad feedbacks.... It must be really really terrible.. I should had gone with amazon..... :poh:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 09:34:49 PM
Plus side? Pliers are spring loaded and open wider than the HD version. Another bad side is the 4" tool is 10.5oz. That is not a joke, it is a 4" tool over 10oz. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:28 PM
Here we go. Hopefully the pictures can convey the serious step down of quality from the HD WorkPro.

See the weight. 10.582oz.. :facepalm:

Top is HD WorkPro.

Bottom is 4" WorkPro.

Note the finish quality is a step down.

Phillips. Note the deformed tip.

Flat blade and bottle opener. Note the better angles on the HD.

LG flat drivers. Pretty much the same.

Awls. Both decent.

Can Opener. Stripper was removed from the implement.

Saws. Note the poorly finished teeth on the 4".

Files. The HD has 3-sides and the 4" had two sides. Both are cut well enough. The 4" file is a bit more aggressive, but not cut as cleanly.

Plain edge blade. Pretty much the same, but sized differently for each tool. The 4" isn't polished like the HD, but has a stone'wash-like finish. Both are sharp enough.
*Note HD has a serrated blade, but the 4" version replaces that with scissors.

Pliers. The HD pliers are not sprung, but the 4" pliers are. The spring could move mountains it is so strong. Some like it and some don't. The 4" model pliers open wider than the HD pliers.

Scissors. I pictured them with the old style WorkPro 4" tool scissors since the HD doesn't have scissors.

Scissors showing grind and spring. Note the bad geometry. Spring setup is acceptable.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 03:07:59 PM
 :facepalm:
What a shame. :twak:
The HD really shines in comparison.

Do you think Workpro's quality has dropped altogether? Will the new HD ones be total junk? :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 03:36:51 PM
:facepalm:
What a shame. :twak:
The HD really shines in comparison.

Do you think Workpro's quality has dropped altogether? Will the new HD ones be total junk? :think:
I would hope not, but if their new 4" model is any indicator, the quality is likely to be inferior to that of the OG HD. :facepalm:

Will hope that isn't the case, and I keep hoping I got a dud, but as many QC oversights that are visible, the outlook isn't great. :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 03:55:43 PM
I am even more excited to receive it now. Really have to see and feel the quality.. Was not really impress with the HD as its a real brick to handle.. Was hoping that this might be a little more manageable..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Funny thing is, the 4" WorkPro is over 10oz. Just a few ounces less than the larger one. :facepalm:

I hope your example is better. But, that said, I can't see the inherent quality issues being much improved.

Then again, we also rarely agree on how well a tool functions. So you may really like the 4" Workpro. :dunno:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 04:52:14 PM
Funny thing is, the 4" WorkPro is over 10oz. Just a few ounces less than the larger one. :facepalm:

I hope your example is better. But, that said, I can't see the inherent quality issues being much improved.

Then again, we also rarely agree on how well a tool functions. So you may really like the 4" Workpro. :dunno:

Some minor differences.. :D But generally I think we still are on the same side of the fence.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 05:28:58 PM
True true. :cheers:

After some thought on the 4" version, I do realize now that I was comparing a $20 tool(4") to a $40 tool(HD). Perhaps a revisit to the 4" WorkPro, with the much lower cost as a consideration, would be a good idea.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 05:53:57 PM
True true. :cheers:

After some thought on the 4" version, I do realize now that I was comparing a $20 tool(4") to a $40 tool(HD). Perhaps a revisit to the 4" WorkPro, with the much lower cost as a consideration, would be a good idea.

The price was quite the opposite on my side.. The HD was actually cheaper than the 4in. I really like the 4in form factor, even for other brands. To me that would be the ideal size. Recently bought a few C&C but they are all rather pretty big. Guessing they have to have the bulk to make up for perhaps the lower quality material. Nevertheless, we probably know how they will turn out even before receiving them. Just keeping the fingers crossed that there will be some Cheap & Quality..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 11:57:42 PM
The price was quite the opposite on my side.. The HD was actually cheaper than the 4in. I really like the 4in form factor, even for other brands. To me that would be the ideal size. Recently bought a few C&C but they are all rather pretty big. Guessing they have to have the bulk to make up for perhaps the lower quality material. Nevertheless, we probably know how they will turn out even before receiving them. Just keeping the fingers crossed that there will be some Cheap & Quality..
That is so weird that the HD costs less than the 4" over there. May be a popularity thing? Big giant MTs seem to sell best in the US(surprise..haha), so that may be why the pricing is different. :dunno:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2019, 10:56:28 AM
The 4in version is now $16 on Amazon now. I still have not receive mine from the other source!  :poh:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: July 24, 2019, 01:52:34 PM
The 4in version is now $16 on Amazon now. I still have not receive mine from the other source!  :poh:
$16 changes my perspective on the tool a bit, as it gets the tool closer to the $10 tool territory if you account for for the shipping and taxes included in the sale price.

Sorry to read your 4" WorkPro hasnt arrived yet, Sam! Hopefully soon! :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 24, 2019, 04:32:54 PM
Pretty happy to report it did arrive in my mailbox today when I reach home. But very sadly, I would agree with pretty much all of GLBM's observation. And I would like to emphasise on the handling of this tool. Its really really blocky, its the same thickest as the HD. And the weight of this thing, it's unbelievably heavy for a tool of this size..  :facepalm: But on the plus side, it looks really pretty when placed side by side with the older brother. Much akin to a wave and a surge.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: July 24, 2019, 05:03:42 PM
I was hoping to read yours was good and I had a dud, but the fact they let the design weight reach 10oz+ shows a complete lack of care for the redesign. :facepalm:

At least they didn't try milking the tool for $40 like the HD model. WorkPro needs to step up soon to compete with Ganzo. :ahhh

Maybe the next WorkPro will be better.  :dunno:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2019, 05:24:46 PM
I was hoping to read yours was good and I had a dud, but the fact they let the design weight reach 10oz+ shows a complete lack of care for the redesign. :facepalm:

At least they didn't try milking the tool for $40 like the HD model. WorkPro needs to step up soon to compete with Ganzo. :ahhh

Maybe the next WorkPro will be better.  :dunno:

I didn't think there's much redesign.. They only shorten everything on it by abt half an inch. Pretty bad casting on many parts as well. Many dimples can be seen. Quite poor lockup on the tools also, there's front and back play on most of them. I also tried cutting a thick cloth hanger, didn't manage to cut it but I think I bent the pivot post very slightly. Massive ergonomic fail here. See, we do agree on stuffs. Some.  :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: July 25, 2019, 03:07:27 AM
We do indeed  :cheers:

So we're officially declaring the new 4" WorkPro a fail?
My vote is fail. :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 25, 2019, 03:22:26 AM
We do indeed  :cheers:

So we're officially declaring the new 4" WorkPro a fail?
My vote is fail. :facepalm:

I actually think so. They jam pack the tool so much that it's so difficult to use. At $16 or $20, I think a basic Ganzo will work even better.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: July 25, 2019, 03:31:38 AM
 :iagree:
The G201 Ganzo is a good tool, but the tools don't lock. The G301 is amazing(with locking tools). But, the Ganzo G301 has gotten silly expensive recently. :dunno:

At $20, I might throw a nod in for the OG Gerber Suspension since its' tools lock.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 25, 2019, 05:05:12 PM
:iagree:
The G201 Ganzo is a good tool, but the tools don't lock. The G301 is amazing(with locking tools). But, the Ganzo G301 has gotten silly expensive recently. :dunno:

At $20, I might throw a nod in for the OG Gerber Suspension since its' tools lock.

Yes I do like the OG suspension. Inexpensive, punches above its price class. But then again, I was looking at the workpro and design is growing on me. What's bothering me is the useless pliers. Weight is something that I think I can get use to. The rest of the implements are okish. Much better than the standard chrome shiny cheapies.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 27, 2019, 05:05:06 AM
The large WorkPro is now $17 on sale on Amazon right now. And apparently it's an upgraded version with scissors instead of a serrated blade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGNJ61P/

Charles.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 06:48:21 PM
Do you have a link for the large one?

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11:26 PM
So I got the 4” tool in today. Mine isn’t as bad it seems. The blade easily cut through a blister pack, and then I sliced through paper without problems. Slicing through a harbor freight catalog, which is somewhere between paper and newsprint, was too much for the blade. It would sort of cut for a bit and then tear. It opened bubble mailers and the thin plastic mailers in one easy slice. It’s definitely a good grind on the blade. They learned from mistakes made with the 4.5 inch tool. The scissors aren’t great, but they’re better than the scissors in my SOG Sync II belt buckle. They’re pretty much the exact same design. They cut through 16 pages of my harbor freight catalog without any problems. My SOG scissors can barely manage half that. My Phillips head looks good and the grinds on the flat drivers also appear to be fine. No rounded edges. None of the tools wobble and the locks work wonderfully and are easy to use one handed.

The players have too much play. That’s where things start to go bad. The pivot needs to be tightened. Because of this, the pliers will not reliably cut through a USB cable - There are always a few strands of wire that remain uncut. That’s really my only detriment so far. The weight doesn’t bother me. The lack of a pocket clip does, though. Clipless tools are not of great use to me, as I dislike holsters.

Overall I give my copy a passing grade. Especially for $16. These can live in the Jeep toolbox. Being a soft top, the Jeep is pretty much unlockable for anyone determined to steal. And during the summer the top is rarely on it at all... So the Jeep only has cheap tools in it.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: July 27, 2019, 08:14:24 PM
Here are pics of drivers and scissors.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: July 27, 2019, 08:25:41 PM
Just came back from the garage. I was able to tighten the pivot slightly with an arbor press, but that didn’t help matters. The cutters are too far apart in the plier jaws. They don’t cut any wire I’ve tried, from 22ga on up to 18ga. I sharpened the cutters with a file, but still no love for wire.

Before tightening and sharpening they could barely cut a small zip tie. It was a bend-cut and there were ragged edges or hangers-on. After the press and sharpen they slice through small zip ties like butter, with the cut end flying through the air. But still no good for stranded wire.

Overall I am still happy with them for $17.  I have a need for a quality tool that may end up being lost or stolen or abused or otherwise come to an unfortunate fate.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 08:36:14 PM
Also, the scissors pivot could stand to be peened just a dash. I did and then afterwards it cut 23 pages of the harbor freight catalog. So... the scissors are WAY better than SOG Sync scissors.

WAY.

Just don’t over-peen. A couple of taps is all it needs, or the spring won’t be able to return the scissors to open.

Charles.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:44:59 PM by ChopperCharles »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21