Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Must try food in your area of the world

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
on: September 24, 2018, 03:42:45 PM
The Scorpion Lollipop thread inspired this. What are the must try foods for someone visiting your area of the world?

I will start. I live in the southeastern US, specifically Georgia. We have a lot of “must trys” here, at least for me. Here some are in no particular order

1. Real fried chicken
2. Fried catfish
3. Real sweet tea
4. Good bourbon
5. Crawdads
6. Gator tail
7. Frog legs
8. Locally prepared game (venison/rabbit/duck/wild turkey)
9. Collard greens and vinegar or country green beans
10. Local fresh peaches
11. Barbecue (there is a different style for just about every southern state)
12. Crappie
13. Biscuits and gravy
14. Corned beef hash
15. Country ham

I could keep going. I have more popping in my head now (sweet potato casserole... mmm) but I will stop at 15 to let others from my region chime in/agree or disagree/add items.

If I had to narrow it down to five (which is difficult), I would say

1. Real fried chicken
2. Gator tail or frog legs
3. Barbecue
4. Peaches
5. Good bourbon

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Must try food in your area of the world
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:57:02 PM
 :popcorn:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 04:02:40 PM
Love the idea of this, however your list seems rather generic. I mean "Real fired chicken" you get everywhere, what makes Georgia fried chicken different? What would be an example of "good bourbon"? Maybe also elaborate why they are "must tries", what is different from peaches in other places?

Also:
 :worthless:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 04:09:07 PM
Always wanted to try biscuits and gravy  :drool:

Here in the UK you have to try the following:

Fish and chips
Toad in the Hole
Welsh Rarebit
Bubble and Squeak
Pasty

All the above ('cept fish) can be vegetarian so I'm sure some omnivores will along to include pork pies, roast beef etc
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:12:54 PM
This ought to be interesting. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 04:26:09 PM
Love the idea of this, however your list seems rather generic. I mean "Real fired chicken" you get everywhere, what makes Georgia fried chicken different? What would be an example of "good bourbon"? Maybe also elaborate why they are "must tries", what is different from peaches in other places?

Also:
 :worthless:
You make a good point. I will elaborate on my top five, since Doing all 15 would take quite a while. If anyone wants to know about any of those just ask!

Fried chicken has been a staple of the american south for as long as the american south has been around. It is greasier, breadier, and just better tasting than fried chicken you get anywhere else. That last part is an opinion of course.

Gator tail and frog legs are both southern georgia things, although Louisiana is probably most famous for them. I just think that if you are anywhere in the American south you should try them if you can. Some people say they taste like chicken, but there are a few distinct differences that are hard to explain. Frog legs are tangier i would say. Gator just has a different flavor, its hard to explain because I don’t know what to compare it to.

Barbecue around here is just different as well. Each state has their own style and is right proud of it. Do a google search for barbecue by region and you will see what I mean. One criteria for me is that the Brunswick stew has to be thin or like a mush. No big chunks or its not the good stuff. Here are a couple of pictures from my all time favorite bbq restaurant. Grew up on it.

Georgia is known as the peach state. For a while, more peaches were grown here than anywhere else, although i don’t think that is the case anymore. There are a lot of roadside peach stands in the middle of nowhere in south georgia. Pull off and get yourself a few. You will not find a juicer, sweeter peach in the world than the ones you find here.

Bourbon admittedly belongs to kentucky, but anyone who visits the south should try it. One of my favorites is 1792 full proof single barrel, but that is strong for a lot of people at about 125 proof. A good bourbon for a visitor to try may be a Woodford Reserve or a Four Roses offering. Take it neat, adding just a drop of water if you wish to bring out the flavor. Bourbon is sweeter and much heavier than scotch, and usually has a wider variety of flavors. Bourbon must be at least 51% corn, the rest is variable. (I love scotch, not trying to say it is inferior, just different flavors). If you can find real moonshine (not in a store,anywhere) that is a pleasure to try as well. It is still made similarly to how it was in the prohibition period if you can find it. It is legal to make now, but not to sell.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:56:35 PM by gdoolittle »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:29:12 PM
Switzerland

Treberwurst (??? sausage)
This is a smoked Saucisson (Vaudoise or Neuchâtel style) made of pork and is only available around Lake Biel and only in fall. After the grapes are pressed and the juice is made into wine, the pomance gets made into pomance brandy. The Treberwurst is hanged into the still-head where it gets heated by the vapor carrying all the flavors from the grapes.

And of course there are the traditional dishes
- Mountain cheese
- Fondue (molten cheese)
- Raclett (molten cheese but different)
- Hashbrowns
Treberwurst.jpg
* Treberwurst.jpg (Filesize: 55.9 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:32:07 PM

Fish and chips
Toad in the Hole
Welsh Rarebit
Bubble and Squeak
Pasty

All the above ('cept fish) can be vegetarian so I'm sure some omnivores will along to include pork pies, roast beef etc
The first one we have around here in some places. Never heard of the others though. What are they?

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 04:38:04 PM
Definetly gotta try thse if you arrive in Finland

1.Salmiakki = salty liquorice
2. Karjalanpaisti = Karelian Hot Pot
3. Karelian pie = most smurf looking food in th world
4.mämmi
5.Kalakukko = Finnish fish pasty

And last but not least

6.Rosvopaisti. =A hunk of meat, preferably a leg of lamb, prepared for food in an earth oven 

Only Tools Matters

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:16 PM

Fish and chips
Toad in the Hole
Welsh Rarebit
Bubble and Squeak
Pasty

The first one we have around here in some places. Never heard of the others though. What are they?
Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in the oven with a batter mix. Seperately it's called Yorkshire pudding.
Welsh Rarebit is cheese mixed with egg, beer, mustard and worcester sauce and then grilled on toasted bread.
Bubble and Squeak is made from leftovers, but the base is cagbbage, onions and potatos fried in a pan until you have brown and crunchy bits in it. Delicious with brown sauce.
Pasty - Originally a miners meal, it's meat, veg and thick gravy wrapped up in a pastry case with a kind of a rind on it so you can hold it with coaly hands and not get the bit you eat dirty.

I'll pop some pics up when I have more time.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 04:45:56 PM
Here in the mountain West of the USA, food hasn't been elevated to the same cultural level as it has been in other parts of the world. Food is seen more as fuel so you can keep going to feed the cattle or repair fence. Doesn't matter what it is as much as it matters that it's filling and keeps you going. There is a great tradition of self-reliance, so many people grow, hunt, and make their own foods. There are also a number of traditions brought here by immigrants from abroad, e.g. Cornwall or California. We seem to really like "Cornish Pasties" and "Irish Stew". There are German and Scandinavian influences.

Nevertheless, some staples here aren't found as commonly in other places:

Bison. If you like a hamburger, you'll probably love a Bison burger.
Elk. This is Elk country and people fill their freezers this time of year so they can eat Elk the rest of the year.
Fish (Trout, Salmon, Walleye, Northern). Same as Elk, fish get eaten all year.
Beef. This is beef country and beefsteaks are very popular (bone-in ribeye being the most preferred)

In addition to game, people love to forage for Huckleberries, and you can find huckleberry products everywhere, especially Huckleberry jams. Huckleberry jam on a ranch house biscuit is a fine, fine thing. We have a pretty active morel mushroom scene as well. People take note of where a forest fire has been, knowing that tasty morels will likely be found there come Spring.

I note that I can't think of any specific regional dish like "Southern Fried Chicken" or "Gumbo". Food here seem to more ingredient based than recipe based.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 04:50:04 PM
Here in the mountain West of the USA, food hasn't been elevated to the same cultural level as it has been in other parts of the world. Food is seen more as fuel so you can keep going to feed the cattle or repair fence. Doesn't matter what it is as much as it matters that it's filling and keeps you going. There is a great tradition of self-reliance, so many people grow, hunt, and make their own foods. There are also a number of traditions brought here by immigrants from abroad, e.g. Cornwall or California. We seem to really like "Cornish Pasties" and "Irish Stew". There are German and Scandinavian influences.

Nevertheless, some staples here aren't found as commonly in other places:

Bison. If you like a hamburger, you'll probably love a Bison burger.
Elk. This is Elk country and people fill their freezers this time of year so they can eat Elk the rest of the year.
Fish (Trout, Salmon, Walleye, Northern). Same as Elk, fish get eaten all year.
Beef. This is beef country and beefsteaks are very popular (bone-in ribeye being the most preferred)

In addition to game, people love to forage for Huckleberries, and you can find huckleberry products everywhere, especially Huckleberry jams. Huckleberry jam on a ranch house biscuit is a fine, fine thing. We have a pretty active morel mushroom scene as well. People take note of where a forest fire has been, knowing that tasty morels will likely be found there come Spring.

I note that I can't think of any specific regional dish like "Southern Fried Chicken" or "Gumbo". Food here seem to more ingredient based than recipe based.
I recently took a trip out west and had an elk burger. It was delicious. Reminded me of venison, but the meat stuck together more.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 04:54:38 PM

Too easy, Mags.

Take an English scone recipe and omit most or all of the sugar. Use buttermilk in lieu of plain milk. Instead of triangular shapes, cut round shapes with a very sharp biscuit cutter (helps them rise and be fluffy). Bake as per usual. When hot out of the oven, brush the tops with melted butter. (optional.....but not really.)

While the biscuits are rising/baking, fry some breakfast sausage or Tex-Mex chorizo in a pan. I like a lot of sausage, but use what you like. Once the sausage is browned up and the fat rendered, sprinkle on some plain flour to absorb the fats and make a thick roux. Traditionally, this is kept light in color, but I like to go to a golden color. Then whisk in milk a little at a time until you get a thick gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add a bit more pepper. I find a pinch of dried thyme is nice.

Split a hot biscuit in half and smother with the thick chunky gravy. Great with a fried egg and a cup of coffee (black).

Lastly, call and make an appointment with a cardiologist; it's now time for an evaluation.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:55:57 PM by Nix »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 04:57:37 PM

Too easy, Mags.

Take an English scone recipe and omit most or all of the sugar. Use buttermilk in lieu of plain milk. Instead of triangular shapes, cut round shapes with a very sharp biscuit cutter (helps them rise and be fluffy). Bake as per usual. When hot out of the oven, brush the tops with melted butter. (optional.....but not really.)

While the biscuits are rising/baking, fry some breakfast sausage or Tex-Mex chorizo in a pan. I like a lot of sausage, but use what you like. Once the sausage is browned up and the fat rendered, sprinkle on some plain flour to absorb the fats and make a thick roux. Traditionally, this is kept light in color, but I like to go to a golden color. Then whisk in milk a little at a time until you get a thick gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add a bit more pepper. I find a pinch of dried thyme is nice.

Split a hot biscuit in half and smother with the thick chunky gravy. Great with a fried egg and a cup of coffee (black).

Lastly, call and make an appointment with a cardiologist; it's now time for an evaluation.

This is me.  :drool:                       :woohoo:                   :ahhh

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 05:01:40 PM
It's a great regional dish.

Southerners brought it out West where is remains popular, but the best I've ever had was in Virginia.

The real trick here is to make a light and tender biscuit. That is an art. If you find a good biscuit maker, marry her (or him).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 07:44:02 PM
I'm not sure I'd call them must tries necessarily, but we do have a few fairly regional specials in northern Norway.

1. Reindeer stew. (The whole Santa has reindeers actually started as a marketing gimmick to try and sell more reindeer meat internationally. That backfired beautifully :D - nobody wants to eat Rudolf.. Rudolf tastes great though. And of course Santa himself got kidnapped by the clever and active marketing department of Finland in the 90s :D ).

2. Whale beef. It used to be low priced everyday food, but has become exclusive as supply has dwindled. If you do locate it then try to make sure it is fresh as old whale beef tends to taste more like seal than beef. (Oh, I guess seal is local thing too - with the same history actually).

3. King crab. I'm still flabbergasted by the prices paid per kg for this internationally. The closer you get to the source the less expensive it gets. (As opposed to earlier times when fishermen would complain that all the king crabs that filled their fishing gear made fishing so much harder!  :D )

4. Atlantic salmon. While wildly available from aquaculture everywhere, here you can fairly easily get the wild ones too.

5. Cloud berries. Some just love them, others are kind of indifferent.

Here is also a wide variety of traditional methods to treat (or mistreat) all kinds of fish into various more or less successful dishes.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:12:37 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 07:54:02 PM
Now we wait till kottskrapa suggest surströmming for everyone

Only Tools Matters

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 07:57:55 PM
Fries (preferably with stew and mayonaise), chocolates, beer.

But must people probably knew that already...

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 08:04:33 PM
Now we wait till kottskrapa suggest surströmming for everyone(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters
I must admit I haven't tried it yet.. A lot of people I know does eat it but the smell.. The smell is horrible

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:09 PM
Now we wait till kottskrapa suggest surströmming for everyone(Image removed from quote.)

Only Tools Matters

As far as I know surströmming is the only dish on the no fly list; the reason being somewhere between chemical warfare and rendering a plane useless for passengers in the future if any gets out.

My father ate it at some local arrangement once. Despite undressing and burning the clothes before getting into the house at home their house still stank for a week afterwards. Powerful stuff!
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 08:11:46 PM

Fish and chips
Toad in the Hole
Welsh Rarebit
Bubble and Squeak
Pasty

In addition to these I'll also add

The full English breakfast with black pudding
Pie and mash with liquor and jellied eels
Ploughman's lunch (sadly missing from most pub menus now).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:13:59 PM
Fries (preferably with stew and mayonaise), chocolates, beer.

But must people probably knew that already...

What about the famous Belgian Pea soup (erwtensoep)?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 08:14:45 PM
Is it famous??

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 08:14:59 PM
The full English breakfast with black pudding

England should be revered for the full English with Black Pud.   :drool:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 08:15:48 PM
Is it famous??

Ya.

And what about Moules- Frites? Isn't that Belgian?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:19:02 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:05 PM
And I thought Belgium had some famous dish featuring braised beef tips..... :drool:

Don't sell your country short, Mechy. I suspect Belgium has a lot to offer. (But for good beer, people should come to the states.  :pok:)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:36 PM
The moulles... Mosselen... are usualy harvested in The Netherlands, but prepared here.
Personaly I don't like them...

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:55 PM

Only Tools Matters

Oh hell no, tried it once and it's an acquired taste. I don't think I'll ever acquire it  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:12 PM

Only Tools Matters

Oh hell no, tried it once and it's an acquired taste. I don't think I'll ever acquire it  :rofl:
Smell is awfull, taste isnt so bad but that smell is horrible

Only Tools Matters

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 08:23:17 PM

Only Tools Matters

Smell is awfull, taste isnt so bad but that smell is horrible

Only Tools Matters

Like Durian, I like the taste, but that smell!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD