Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84 mm VICS: Which one do you prefer: Tinker small, Tourist or Sportsman ???

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Wich one do you prefer form the 84 line???

And why?

ch Offline ghiekorg

Personally my main EDC is a tourist (although it means 2-3 times a week). Reasons:
- it fits in the 5th pocket of my jeans (not all though)
- has the small blade that I like more than a nail file (in case I always have a manager attached to my keys)
- has the corkscrew, that I use sometimes for wine but more often for knots and to carry the mini screwdriver as I wear sunglasses daily
- I don’t need Phillips screwdriver that often and in case there is the tip of the can opener

With scissors would be perfect of course. If scissors and hook with nail file even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Online Myron

• No Life Club
Sportsman all the way!  It's such an easy grab-n-go SAK and they make great gifts for the uninitiated.    And used but like-new they go for about five bucks.  :)

Myron

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Wich one do you prefer form the 84 line???

This one of course :D

In regular factory models, it's tied between Salesman and Climber Small, depending on what the day has in store. As to current models, nothing there interests me, so my attention moves to the 85mm line instead.

And why?

A Swiss knife is incomplete without scissors.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
The Tourist is my favorite and most used. But you forgot one, the Recruit. I always keep one around.
Perception is reality

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
None of them - For this reason .....

A Swiss knife is incomplete without scissors.

And I too like the 85mm range

If you make me choose - I choose the Sportsman - As the file replaces the 'redundant' second blade (sound familiar 50'  ?  ???   ;)  ) 
- But let's not open that debate again here !!

And I can make do for a Phillips with the CO SD

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
For me the Tourist hands down.  I like having the small blade and use one alot.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
I carry a Tourist and Climber Small often, sometimes carry a cadet and always have a small SAK on the keychain. 

As others have pointed out, the corkscrew is super useful for knots, mini SD, and the occasional bottle of wine. Instead of a sportsman, I'll often carry a Wenger Commander, nothing against the Sportsman.. I just like my Commander.

I do admire the Tinker small, especially the older ones with the square Phillips.

Cool topic  :tu: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Cool topic  :D

For me it's obviously the Small Tinker  :salute:

Not only for the obvious Macgyver connection (yes... The small tinker IS the Macgyver Sak, no matter how nanny other models he may have used)

I like the 84mm line because it's the same as the 91mm line onle smaller/shorter. For me is like: Why carry a Tinker when you can carry a small Tinker, meaning, why carry bigger when you can carry smaller with the exact same sturdiness and functions...?

As for the Phillips vs Corkscrew thing, as fat as actual function and actually using the tool regularly, its kind of irrelevant to me... I don't actually use the corkscrew, and almost never use that Philips either, its awkward to use and you can't really apply much torque without bending the liner and pin. I like the Phillips better for a matter of bulk, feel, and looks, for two layers sak's at least.

For SD's all i really need in a sak is the bottle opener, along with my nodded hex bits. The can opener also works great for Phillips in a pinch.

As for the nail file, I've always thought it's silly thing to have on a full sized sak (84 or 91mm), rather have a real file layer instead.  Nail care its what the little sak's are for and why i have a classic on my keys. So i prefer the second small blade. It's my main blade, and i only use the big one when needed for bigger things.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Small Tinker.  Feels nicer in the hand than a knife with the corkscrew.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I know the Recruit wasn't an option but I'd choose that: no back tools make it really comfy to use. I'd love to mod one with an in-line awl.

From the list I'd go with a Tinker small for the comfort factor.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
I find 84/85mm just the right size for casual pocket carry. A nylon scaled Sportsman was my first 84mm, followed by a Tourist. I've handled a Tinker Small I gave to my nephew.

My vote is for the Sportsman for its versatility. Among its other uses the corkscrew holds a mini SD and the nail file makes a good probing, scratching, all sorts of things :P, even filing tool; it's also sturdier than the 58mm file. It's my preferred urban pocket carry and I could be happy with it as my only SK.

My next choice would be the Tinker Small for its comfort in the hand, although it sacrifices some of the Sportsman's usefulness.

I don't mind going without scissors here as they make for a bulkier knife, and I have a Rambler on my keyring anyway. That said, I do have and like a Wenger Traveller and covet a Vic Evowood 14, a really beautiful knife with the better can opener and awl. I prefer the Wenger/Delemont blade shape to the standard Vic.
Rambler

us Offline cody6268

Tourist, as it's comfortable in the pocket, usually inexpensive used (almost as common as Tourists), and it has no lanyard ring on the earlier models. The corkscrew has a whole lot more versatility than the Phillips, and can carry the mini driver.  Of course, no scale tools on earlier ones either, but that's easily remedied by adding a Classic or simply swapping scales. I changed one of my Tourists to have nylon scales with the slots for scale tools.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Where do I start  :think:?  I'll answer the OP question first.  Tinker.  I was taken by surprise I liked this SAK so much.  It became my go to off day SAK for a little while.  Its more than enough for day to day in my world.  Like 50ft tho, I was really missing scissors.  I then went to 84mm Golfer.  Nope, it didn't work out for me.  I have a few 84mm Recruits which I also tried.  I like them a lot. Such a wonderful SAK.  I did miss the back tools for not much extra bulk.  I then found a Salesman  :woohoo:  GAME OVER. 

I do keep my 84mm Tinker close by and it does see some home use still. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

For me it's obviously the Small Tinker  :salute:

The only 84mm in my EDC rotation are Waiter :like: and Walker  :like:. I don´t need any of the others, but I would opt for the Tourist.

As for the nail file, I've always thought it's silly thing to have on a full sized sak (84 or 91mm), rather have a real file layer instead.  Nail care its what the little sak's are for and why i have a classic on my keys

As for the nail file and scissors, I've always thought them silly things to have on a medium sized SAK (84 - 93mm), rather have a real file layer instead.  Nail care is what the little SAKs are for and why I have a MiniChamp on my belt.

Like you, but not entirely the same.  :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:30:45 PM by Ron Who »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Then again, only 1 mm more for my Wenger S17. This is Wenger´s pendant of the Victorinox Huntsman, with locked blade and nail file instead of the small blade. On a tool with scissors, a nail file makes sense. Now that the Vx Delemont version has a better awl I should get an EvoWood or EvoGrip S17.
DSC00956-gear-e.jpg
* DSC00956-gear-e.jpg (Filesize: 329.96 KB)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:50:38 PM by Ron Who »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Sportsman. It is so just right.
IMG_0641.jpg
* IMG_0641.jpg (Filesize: 322.43 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Knerml

Sportsman. It is so just right.

I have the agree. It feels just right, for some reason.

us Offline cody6268

Tourist with no lanyard ring at all. A good, basic lightweight pocketknife with plenty of utiltiy. I have two, one advertising hydraulic rescue equipment Holmatro, the other a former SwissAir knife was converted to nylon Economy scales; one for their grip and durability, secondly for its ability to hold toothpick and tweezers, which the Holmatro can't.

But I do say the current Sportsman with the cut file is really good as well. I really need to get one of those--my only one at present is the old spark-erosion file.

us Offline Intorikata

But I do say the current Sportsman with the cut file is really good as well. I really need to get one of those--my only one at present is the old spark-erosion file.

I've seen a few instances of this preference. If you don't mind - why?

us Offline cody6268

I've seen a few instances of this preference. If you don't mind - why?

Because it can actually work on metal; and unlike the older design, the file surface is all the way to the edge of the tool making it more versatile.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
I carried a Sportsman for the first time in ages last weekend. Nylon scales. Despite it seeing little pocket time these days, I love this knife. My fave two layer model in either 84mm, 85mm, or 91mm.

But I do say the current Sportsman with the cut file is really good as well.

I'm keeping an eye out for one of these! Even better if the file doesn't rub against the blade as you open and close it.
Rambler

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Sportsman is my knife of choice.
Have been in my pocket for months now.
The corkscrew allow space to the mini screwdriver.
The file is usable and sometimes I use the point as Philips driver.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

it Offline Mini

Prefer the sportsman, often use the nail file.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Sportsman.  Definitely the most versatile of the bunch.  Big blade can do anything the small blade can; but the nail file adds a different function.  SD on the end of the can opener can handle about 95% of the Phillips screws one generally encounters (all except the deeply recessed ones), but having the corkscrew (and mini-screwdriver) open up more options.

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
I’m sold!  I’ve gotta hunt me down a Sportsman!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline Knerml

Sportsman all the way!  It's such an easy grab-n-go SAK and they make great gifts for the uninitiated.    And used but like-new they go for about five bucks.  :)

Agree. If you loose or break it, its easy and cheap to replace, And the nail file is a bonus.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
If I had to select one...it would have to be the Salesman.

Yeah, I know it isn't up there...but non of them have scissors.

Of the 3, the Tinker Small. Phillips beats out a corkscrew for me any-day of the week.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Like someone already said, I prefer the Recruit but my second choice is the Tourist mainly because the Spartan is a favorite in 91 mm
Perception is reality

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Tinker Small :tu: Nothing against the Corkscrew, I carry a Spartan on the trail(for paracord knots), but for EDC I find the Philips more practical. Even with a Leatherman on my hip the Philips finds use because some nuts are screwed onto bolts with Philip's heads  8) To me the Spartan is ideal for the trail because I can spare a little extra weight (I don't have a Tourist.. yet.) But I feel that an 84mm size is more suited to be an EDC size, so on a daily basis I find the screwdriver more practical. Just my 2 cents
20190725_171748.jpg
* 20190725_171748.jpg (Filesize: 239.65 KB)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:51:56 PM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21