Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Two months with an executive.

cbl51 · 40 · 2144

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Two months with an executive.
on: September 30, 2018, 12:36:06 AM
Sooo, it's been a bit over two months now with myna EDC of the executive that was gifted to me by Nix.

It's been my sole EDC for all that time now, and I haven't found myself needing anything more. A few times I needed to open a can, but Ihad my old army issue P-38 in my wallet. Once I had to deal with a larger size screw, but the old Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver did the deed. The small flat driver on the orange peeler was sued to adjust the Williams Foolproof peep sight on my .22 rifle when my granddaughter was here. She shoots a bit different than myself so the rifle sight was given a bit of adjustment for the smaller shooter and her particular hold.

The two knife blades have handled all cutting jobs Ihad to do from trimming back some branches about a half inch in diameter. I opened burlap seed bags, mulch bags for the landscaping, broke down cardboard boxes for recycle, and trimmed some duct tape.

The larger blade got used to slice up some cheese and a baguette when my better half and I took a while on part of the Lake Georgetown trail network. The block of Jarlsburg was felt with easily.

My recruit and trusty old Wenger SI have been sitting home while the executive has taken over my watch pocket. It fits down in there un-noticed until I need a pocket knife. It doesn't even create the slightest bulge in that pocket that would interfere with access to the small handgun I carry in my right front pocket in a pocket holster.

The tweezer got used once when our granddaughter Bree, took a step back on the trail to look up in a tree and her right back calf brushed a small prickly pear cactus. The tweezer plucked out two cactus spines with no trouble.

For a retired 'older' gentleman of leisure, this little SAK is all I need. I regret I was so close minded aobu the executive up until one was literally dropped on me. It's a great little EDC for modern American suburban life.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Two months with an executive.
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:48:37 AM
It's a great little EDC for modern American suburban life.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great EDC for anybody.  A small knife with big performance.   :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 05:02:52 AM
It's a great little EDC for modern American suburban life.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great EDC for anybody.  A small knife with big performance.   :tu:

:iagree:  Its really a little big knife with lots of capability. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:44:48 AM
 :iagree: too!
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:23:50 PM
 :iagree:

The Executive is a great EDC!

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:07:40 PM
 :iagree:

Thanks for sharing your experiences  :tu:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 09:48:30 PM
I've been carrying an Executive as my main SAK since I got it about three weeks ago. I'm lovin' it. I always thought 91mm Vic scissors were too big and 58mm a bit too small. The 74mm scissors are in the goldilocks zone IMO. The big blade is enough knife for me usually and the small blade is great for surgical procedures. I did find myself needing to open an adult beverage and did kind of miss having a bottle opener, though I was able to get it off inelegantly using the nail file. I'm thinking about doing this mod when I have a moment: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72373.msg1518661.html#msg1518661

Paired with an IDL T5 on my keychain, the Executive really works for me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:16:43 PM
That mod to the Executive looks like a terrific solution for those needing a bottle opener.  I'd suggest if you are willing to carry an additional tool to consider a Squirt.  You get the addition of great little pliers and some other tools.  If not then the mod is spot on. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 04:56:17 PM
Still carrying mine, too.

:tu: :cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:28 PM
That mod to the Executive looks like a terrific solution for those needing a bottle opener.  I'd suggest if you are willing to carry an additional tool to consider a Squirt.  You get the addition of great little pliers and some other tools.  If not then the mod is spot on.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

The squirt is a great tool to teem up with a SAK like the executive. I love the pocket knife quality of the Victorinox executive, but the squirt gives me a huskier screw driver and most of all, the little folding pliers. As a genuine old fart, I have the senior citizen fumble fingers. Those little pliers have come in soooo handy in the past few years Iowuld never have believed it. So in my way of doing it, the executive is my pocket knife and the squirt is my folding pliers. The executive goes in my coin pocket and the squirt gets dropped in the left front pocket with the keys and change.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 06:15:35 PM
It is odd that the 74mm is the only size SAK without a bottle opener.
- Steve

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 06:54:25 PM
It is odd that the 74mm is the only size SAK without a bottle opener.

I would LOVE to see Victorinox do away with the orange peeler and replace it with a combo tool!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 07:03:03 PM

Agree on the Squirt. I have a PS4 which I quite like but even after reprofiling, sharpening and bending the scissors halves so they mesh, the scissors on the PS4 woefully suck compared to the Executive.
Thus I am currently prowling the bay of E for a P4 :D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:38 PM

Agree on the Squirt. I have a PS4 which I quite like but even after reprofiling, sharpening and bending the scissors halves so they mesh, the scissors on the PS4 woefully suck compared to the Executive.
Thus I am currently prowling the bay of E for a P4 :D

That's why my Squirt is my pliers and screw driver tool, and my Victorinox is my snipping, slicing, and dicing cutter!

I've always thought of my classic and now my executive as my pocket scalpel.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 10:08:26 PM
Good to see so many happy Executive owners!  I am still carrying mine. I did get a "Family" photo (my EDC is center front...

Executive Family Photo by NorCal Jim, on Flickr

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 12:26:52 PM
Been carrying mine for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 01:16:12 PM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Those E01's are great. :tu:

I've had one on my keyring for about 10 years now, and it's beat to hell, most the black is gone and theres some dings in the aluminum where it's been dropped. But it still works and it's been the most rugged and reliable little keychain light I've ever had. Decent light, but insane long run time is what I love about it.

A small SAK and my Fenix EO1 is my go-to combo. Used to be my classic and the E01, now it's the executive and E01. I've gifted that flashlight to family members years ago, and they all became valued daily companions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:18:01 PM by cbl51 »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 02:19:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I really like that!  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 02:57:38 PM
Thats a solid duo.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 06:28:39 PM
I've been carrying an Executive as my main SAK since I got it about three weeks ago. I'm lovin' it. I always thought 91mm Vic scissors were too big and 58mm a bit too small. The 74mm scissors are in the goldilocks zone IMO. The big blade is enough knife for me usually and the small blade is great for surgical procedures. I did find myself needing to open an adult beverage and did kind of miss having a bottle opener, though I was able to get it off inelegantly using the nail file. I'm thinking about doing this mod when I have a moment: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72373.msg1518661.html#msg1518661

Paired with an IDL T5 on my keychain, the Executive really works for me.

Now you got me thinking about doing it to my Director...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 01:09:45 PM
I've been looking at this mod. Has anyone thought about making the cap lifter in the nail file, instead of the orange peeler? It seems that tool is stronger and awlso that it won't be subjected to as much stress (in its regular use) as the orange peeler.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:30 PM
I've been looking at this mod. Has anyone thought about making the cap lifter in the nail file, instead of the orange peeler? It seems that tool is stronger and awlso that it won't be subjected to as much stress (in its regular use) as the orange peeler.

You make a very very good point!

That mod is taking metal out of a tool that already has some 'cut out' on it. With the nail file, you're starting out with a full width tool shank.

Of course if Victorinox would PUT A COMBO TOOL INSTEAD OF THE ORANGE PEELER, it wouldn't be a problem. You think Victorinox heard me? I can't yell any louder!
 :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 02:52:51 PM
 :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 03:52:13 PM

You make a very very good point!

That mod is taking metal out of a tool that already has some 'cut out' on it. With the nail file, you're starting out with a full width tool shank.

Of course if Victorinox would PUT A COMBO TOOL INSTEAD OF THE ORANGE PEELER, it wouldn't be a problem. You think Victorinox heard me? I can't yell any louder!

Well, if they could make a combo tool with the orange peeler on the tip, that would be an idea...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 03:53:07 PM
I think the orange peeler is what makes the Executive/Director so unique. I would vote against replacing it.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:27 PM
Orange peeler stays - just my vote  :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 06:17:49 PM
I grew up in a country where most men carry a bottle opener on their keys. Or if they don´t, they´ll know how to open a beer bottle without a SAK anyway. Most any sturdy object will do, including a table edge. So I say leave the Executive as is.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 07:51:59 PM
I think the orange peeler is what makes the Executive/Director so unique. I would vote against replacing it.

8) 8)

+1

How else would you be able to defuse 80's technology, acid triggered bombs aboard cruise ships without it....   :think:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 09:23:52 PM
I can open a beer with just about anything, including a dollar bill but there is just something weird about not having a bottle opener on a SAK, part of the reason I could never carry a Classic but love the Rambler/Manager.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
Someone, somewhere on this forum posted an Executive mod where they took the orange peeler and made it into a bottle opener.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%