Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I was at the ReStore yesterday....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I was at the ReStore yesterday....
on: October 10, 2018, 05:26:08 PM
For those not familiar, the ReStore is a store from Habitat for Humanity that sells reclaimed building supplies.  I go there on a fairly regular basis, as you never know what exactly you will find there.  Recently, for example, I found a vintage Coleman 431 stove, complete with the original box!  Absolute score!

But, as cool as that was, it really didn't prepare me for this monster, an old late 80's vintage Craftsman Compound Mitre Saw!  It's a 10" model and quite massive, but what makes it really stand out in my mind is that my father bought the exact same model around 86 or 87.  You see, we had moved into a brand new house near Halifax then and the contractor had cut a lot of corners and not finished all of what he was supposed to finish, which meant it was up to us to do it.  One of many tools my father bought (having lived in Military housing for years my father had only basic hand tools) right at the start was this giant saw that I was taught to fear from the very beginning!

This specific model saw is the one I learned the importance of eye protection, ear protection and keeping one's fingers away from any place where they may potentially come in contact with anything that may hurt them.  This is probably why my feet have been bolted on, but I still have all my fingers and most of them are straight... more or less!   :ahhh

Anyways, this seemed like a great tool to use to kick off this brand new forum!

Def
15391844964150.jpg
* 15391844964150.jpg (Filesize: 180.48 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: I was at the ReStore yesterday....
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:28 PM
Tell us more about the store and the new forums. Just until you reach 60k...

:pok: :pok:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 05:41:22 PM
Tell us more about the store and the new forums. Just until you reach 60k...

:pok: :pok:

:D :D

I hadn't realized I was that close to 60k!  Guess I've had too much to say already!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:33 PM
That is a very cool saw Grant :o I only have a Dewalt regular mitre saw that I have had for many years now that my dad gave me when he got a fancier one :D Mine is more portable and has been a really great help to me over the years though :like:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:50 PM
Nice find!

I wish they had stores like that over here
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:01 AM
I've got one of those radial arm circular saws buried in the garage.
IMG_0605.JPG
* IMG_0605.JPG (Filesize: 110.53 KB)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:32:11 AM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 12:37:13 AM
I see no fingers on it, so that's a good sign!

Def

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:59 AM

Def

To be honest, the darn thing scares me, but it is useful.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 12:31:38 PM

Def

I was taught to fear it (and all power saws) at a young age, which is likely why I still have all of my fingers!   :ahhh

To this day I will (carefully) put my hands in a lot of places they don't belong, but I'm still very careful around saws.  They are one of the few things I don't take chances around, and I have several that I use a lot.  I have a circular saw, two reciprocating saws, a jigsaw, a table saw and probably some others that I can't think of right now. 

Def

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 02:14:37 PM

Def

I was taught to fear it (and all power saws) at a young age, which is likely why I still have all of my fingers!   :ahhh

To this day I will (carefully) put my hands in a lot of places they don't belong, but I'm still very careful around saws.  They are one of the few things I don't take chances around, and I have several that I use a lot.  I have a circular saw, two reciprocating saws, a jigsaw, a table saw and probably some others that I can't think of right now. 

Def

Sound like we had similar teachers.  :)

I knew several classmates in high school that lost fingers to saw accidents.  Most due to inattention. I have a similar collection of equipment including the radial saw, table saw, band saw, circular saws, jig saws and others.  All currently buried in the garage... :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 06:43:49 PM
There was a member here years ago that had accidentally chopped his middle finger off with a saw, and was given the choice of having it reattached in such a way that it would never bend (meaning he would be flipping everyone off constantly) or just keep the stub.  I believe he went with just the stub option if I recall correctly.  I would have gone with the flipping off option as it would have made driving a lot easier!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 04:18:46 AM
I just started a new job at a lumber yard and the saws there are larger and more powerful than what I used to use about 10 years ago. Today was my second day and I got to do a little cutting on the radial arm saw.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 04:33:01 AM
My Father-in-law owned a cash and carry lumber/hardware store for decades.  He had a huge radial arm saw with no guards.  Extremely dangerous and definitely not OSHA compliant.  Fortunately he didn't have any employees. It had great bearings in it.  Turn it off and it would easily spin for a couple of minutes. I lived in dread of being asked to use it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:28:11 PM
I lived in dread of being asked to use it.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

That seems like a healthy approach to me.  You have a much greater chance of retaining all your digits (and limbs) intact if you adhere to that principle. 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 03:05:18 AM
Careful with those! They aren't around anymore for a reason and have a finger/hand hungry reputation.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 01:19:32 PM
Careful with those! They aren't around anymore for a reason and have a finger/hand hungry reputation.

I don't mess around when it comes to power saws!

I keep thinking of that guy that developed the saw that instantly stops and retracts the blade on contact with flesh, and I would like to have faith in a system like that, but as I recall, he tested it with hot dogs and not his own fingers.  If the manufacturer doesn't have the faith in it, why should I?   :ahhh

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:10 AM

I don't mess around when it comes to power saws!

I keep thinking of that guy that developed the saw that instantly stops and retracts the blade on contact with flesh, and I would like to have faith in a system like that, but as I recall, he tested it with hot dogs and not his own fingers.  If the manufacturer doesn't have the faith in it, why should I?   :ahhh

Def

I wouldn't mind seeing him lopping off all his fingers, the Sawstop guy is a complete dipsmurf, he tried to lobby legislation to force every saw manufacturers to license his patent, which fortunately failed. Bosch made a better version, that doesn't destroy saw blades in the process and you get two shots out of one cartridge, he sued so nobody in North America can buy one.

And yes, he's a lawyer.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 10:38:39 AM
I lived in dread of being asked to use it.
That reminds me of a scrubcutter I had to use at a place I worked at years ago. It had been fitted with a circular saw blade and the guard was missing.
I called it The Quivering Meatwheel. No nodding off using that thing.  :ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24