Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my christmas present.

DaveK · 15 · 1641

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Help me choose my christmas present.
on: December 11, 2008, 07:01:22 PM
My dear partner has asked me what I want for Christmas, god love her.

I'm really liking the look of this:

http://www.navman.com/in-car/europe/uk/Products/Sat-Nav-Devices/S100/

Has anyone got any experience of the NavMan S100? It looks like a great piece of kit, and a Sat Nav would definitely be useful for my new job which I start in the new year.

All opinions gratefully accepted!

Thanks.
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Help me choose my christmas present.
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:23:28 PM
I've heard good things about this brand, but have no direct experience. My uncle does driving for a living and a gps is a must for him. He has switched to a Tom Tom One last yer (his Magellan died after 5 years of service) and likes it a lot. Same with another friend, loves her Tom Tom One, similar feedback from another friend with his XL. Garmin I'm not too found of (at least with their older models, too slow), and my brothers new Magellan gives him problems from time to time. Good luck.  :cheers:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:27:00 PM
For map accuracy, and options (topos street maps, US, Europe and UK) I would get Garmin.  They're the industry leader for a reason.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:27:30 PM
FWIW I have a TomTom as well and it is pretty good.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:43:01 PM
I bought her a Tom Tom a few years ago, and it's been great, but it has one major downside - the size. Whilst the Tom Tom has a pedestrian mode (which I do use), the damn thing is just too bulky to shove in your pocket. That's one of the things I liked aout the NavMan.

I know that Garmin seems to have a great name in the US, but they aren't as well known over here. TomTom seem to have the market sewn up here. I can see that the Garmin gear is decent, but couldn't see that they've yet released one of these "next generation" gizmos yet.

I'd likely use it 90% in the car and 10% on foot, and this one seems to be a good compromise between those two things.

I appreciate the feedback though guys, it will make me have a closer look - thanks.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:51 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 that I got as a gift. I have to say, it is far better than my old Tom Tom..
B

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:48 PM
I bought my wife a navman f20, and its nice, but it takes forever for the satellites to sync up.  I use the GPS feature of my cell phone, and yeah it maybe 10 bucks a month, but its worth it since its always with me no matter what.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:15:42 PM
Newer Blackberries have a built in GPS chip and it costs nothing to use the feature. 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:29:37 PM
Newer Blackberries have a built in GPS chip and it costs nothing to use the feature. 

I actually upgraded my phone deal a few weeks ago, so I'm stuck with that for another 12 months now. I have to say that the blackberry navigation system I saw was really quite poor compared to the dedicated systems like the TomTom. I wouldn't want to be squinting at that display in traffic, whilst trying to find a turning.

I'm making the assumption that all of the GPS technology will work - whichever brand I get, and that it's the usability of the software, size of the screen and size / weight of the unit that will decide it for me. The video on the above link makes this one look like great software (takes a while to stream though), and the unit itself looks nice ans slim.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:56:50 PM

I actually upgraded my phone deal a few weeks ago, so I'm stuck with that for another 12 months now. I have to say that the blackberry navigation system I saw was really quite poor compared to the dedicated systems like the TomTom. I wouldn't want to be squinting at that display in traffic, whilst trying to find a turning.

I'm making the assumption that all of the GPS technology will work - whichever brand I get, and that it's the usability of the software, size of the screen and size / weight of the unit that will decide it for me. The video on the above link makes this one look like great software (takes a while to stream though), and the unit itself looks nice ans slim.

I meant use the BB when on foot, and have a dedicated car gps for your car. When buying looks closely at the quality of support the company provides, never maps etc... Magellan charges for map updates, while Tom Tom does not.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:00:35 AM
You know - I think the map updates vary. On the Tom Tom I bought a few years back, you can't get map upgrades at all, you have to buy the whole new map set. Although people have told me that you can get paid updates now - it seems that it doesn't apply to all models.

But your point is a good one. The NavMan comes with free updates for 2009, but paid after that, which seems as good a deal as I'll get in the UK.

Using the BB on foot would have been a good idea had I thought of it before I signed my life away though  :P

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:25:09 AM
Dave I am all confused , you want something for Christmas that is not a LEATHERMAN  :ahhh . See the Doctor now man it could be serious  :P :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:28:38 AM
Dave I am all confused , you want something for Christmas that is not a LEATHERMAN  :ahhh . See the Doctor now man it could be serious  :P :D

Well it's a long story, but let's just say that it was probably the right decision  :P

Besides, she is getting me a SLV for my Birthday ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:28:28 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 650, and I would recommend it.
- Terry

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 03:32:23 AM
Too late :D

I gave her the go ahead.

When I get it, I'll post up my honest thoughts and findings.

Many thanks to all who contributed though, I went and checked a few things I hadn't thought of, so I'm pretty sure that if it does what it says it does - it should suit me well.

Cheers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69