Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Craftsman

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Craftsman
on: October 12, 2018, 02:44:33 PM
I have a lot of Craftsman tools, and it's a bit frustrating since Sears is no longer a thing.

I used to buy a lot of Craftsman hand and power tools because they were the best balance between high quality (they were no Snap On, but they were better than many other brands) and reasonable cost.  Plus, with a Sears store in pretty well every city or town, replacing them under their lifetime warranty (hand tools at least) was never an issue.

Last month while trying to fix my trailer I snapped the blade off my go-to flat head.  You know the one- we all have it, whether we admit it or not, but it's the one flat head that is the right size and shape to be used as a chisel, a pry bar, a measuring tape, paint can opener, scraper and occasionally even to turn screws.

No problem, there's a Sears near he.... uh... oh.... crap.   :facepalm:

I see that Lowes has Craftsman now, along with Ace Hardware, Blain's Farm & Fleet and Atwoods Ranch and Home.  I have heard of Ace, but I don't think there are many, if any in Canada, an I have never heard of the last two, so I guess I am going to have to go to Lowes, because I really need that damned screwdriver!

Seriously, when was the last time anyone encountered a flathead screw that large? 

Not much point to this thread, just some rambling, and largely a record to help anyone else trying to find out who sells Craftsman now.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Craftsman
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:07:46 PM
I hear ya! It’s a pain in the smurfer with what is going on with Craftsman now. I have to say I do commend them. They are slowly bringing back production of their tools to the USA. Hopefully once the dust settles it will be much easier to get them warrantied again.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:11:02 PM
It's pretty sad that Sears couldn't keep up with the times  :(

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:53 PM
It's pretty sad that Sears couldn't keep up with the times  :(
It is sad. They had been doomed for some time now.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:27 PM
Is Lowe’s taking over craftsman?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 05:45:17 PM
JR

Craftsman was bought by Stanley (Stanley Black & Decker). We use SBD for short. They own a lot of tool companies and non tool companies at that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:50:17 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 06:06:00 PM
JR

Craftsman was bought by Stanley (Stanley Black & Decker). We use SBD for short. They own a lot of tool companies and non tool companies at that.
Ohhhhh,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:29:47 PM
I was hoping that Craftsman had stayed around after the fall of Sears :salute: I saw them at Lowes the other day myself :tu:

Once Kmart bought Sears I knew that they were doomed :facepalm: :D

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:20 PM
When Sears was going-out of business, they started selling-off their name-brand assets (e.g., DieHard, Kenmore, Craftsman, etc.).  A lot of the tool-line was imported from China, and was of dubious quality, with many calling it outright "junk".
  The screwdrivers were always made in the USA, in fact by Western Forge who delivered over a billion pieces for retail sale.  Western Forge is owned by Ideal Industries an electrical tool giant.  Their mechanic's brand is S&K Tools.
 In April of 2017, Western Forge stopped supplying Sears.  Here is an article, from the Chicago Tribune for some clarity on the issue.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-stanley-craftsman-tools-rollout-0820-story.html

Summit Racing Equipment sells the Craftsman Industrial version of the brand, and most of them are made in the USA.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:02:58 PM by eTripper »
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:07:07 PM
JR

Saw that 3-drawer box today at Lowe's, by itself in its shipper, no price tag or anything. Since it was USA made, I would have probably bought it at that $30 price. I paid $10 or $15 more for a nearly identical CHINESE made Kobalt!

Offline mtoolman

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:00 PM
I bought a Craftsman full socket set from Costco. It was in a huge toolcase, and had all sorts of socket, wrenches and  even screw driver set as well.

I haven't used it that much, it is just lying around in the shed. But what a heavy substantial duty tool set.

That had been bought about 10 years ago, and I haven't seen any Craftsman tool sets for sale anywhere.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:58 PM
Yes. Sears stoped carying Craftsman tools for a year before closing their doors for good. It was a sad sight, more so when Sears used to be the go to tool place.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:21 AM

:whistle:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 01:10:13 AM
 :o

Is that a pocket clip, or some kind of lock release?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 01:16:22 AM
:o

Is that a pocket clip, or some kind of lock release?
A pocket/belt clip i believe. I tried to research it a few years ago and didn’t find much.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 01:18:54 AM

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 01:42:26 AM
Sears was never really big around here.

My father/grandma do have stories of my dad and uncle's stealing the bra and panties section out of the Sears catalogs when they were young!!

I have been to some for some warranty exchanges. Their screwdrivers are probably the go-to. Can't stand a rubber grip and wood ones are hard to come by. I've got my initials engraved on all of these and I am only missing 3 or 4 out of all of them they made.  Although some are missing for the picture! Room mates probably borrowed a couple and they "haven't made their way back yet"....
20181014_164127.jpeg
* 20181014_164127.jpeg (Filesize: 68.97 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 04:50:26 AM
I've been working on my own cars since I could drive. Not a lot of knowledge back then, but I kept plugging away and am fairly confident now where I'm building up a 20 year old Grand Cherokee.

It has always been Craftsman mechanics tools for me, with the exception of emergency purchases.

With the Chinese Evo line being developed a few years ago, I saw the writing on the wall. Chinese made has become common for Craftsman now, unfortunately.

Two years ago I gave my nephew a Craftsman 100 piece set of sockets, drivers, and wrenches. Found out that the wrenches were all Chinese made. I compared them with the same wrenches from my set from the early 90's and was disappointed in the new ones.

I was aware Western Forge was still providing Craftsman their screwdrivers. Several months ago, I bought a 4 or 5 pack of screwdrivers, and they were the last pack of American made ones in the store. I guess April 2017 explains that.

I have four Craftsman tool boxes, three of them metal. All full of good tools. Right now I keep the 90's plastic 94 piece Craftsman tool kit in the Jeep.

One thing I hope to do is amass a smaller collection of tools that only pertain to my Jeep, and keep that toolkit there, with only the needed sockets and wrenches, and backup parts. I want those to be US made Craftsman as well, so looks like I will be all over Craigslist.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:09 AM
Get em' while you can, Thundah! I just lucked up on a set of unused SAE U.S.A forged Craftsman wrenches yesterday. I have a set already, but they are a bit beaten. I am searching an unused set of metric wrenches now. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 05:41:59 PM
Sears was never really big around here.

My father/grandma do have stories of my dad and uncle's stealing the bra and panties section out of the Sears catalogs when they were young!!

I have been to some for some warranty exchanges. Their screwdrivers are probably the go-to. Can't stand a rubber grip and wood ones are hard to come by. I've got my initials engraved on all of these and I am only missing 3 or 4 out of all of them they made.  Although some are missing for the picture! Room mates probably borrowed a couple and they "haven't made their way back yet"....(Image removed from quote.)

I think the third flathead from the left was the one I broke.   :facepalm:

I had bought a bunch of random Craftsman tools (broken ones) from a guy years ago as he changed from Craftsman to Snap On, and so all of my Craftsman screwdrivers were new.  They have been used pretty hard over the years and none of them look new now, although in all that time I have only broken the one.  Not a bad average, and I sure as heck am not complaining!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline blinker

Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 01:43:21 PM
Started out with Craftsman tools that were gifts from mom and dad. I thought tools were tools. After many decades, I went to Harbor Freight and was amazed at the prices. Many cheap tools later, I'm back to caring for my 40 year old Craftsman stuff. Time changed my view of quality.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 05:01:15 PM
I couldn't decide where to put the new set of SAE wrenches, so I stacked them on the old set for now. :rofl:
Just need to find a new set of metric. I like having redundancy(backup) in tools. :)
20181016_081005-1.jpeg
* 20181016_081005-1.jpeg (Filesize: 127.02 KB)
20181016_080903-1.jpeg
* 20181016_080903-1.jpeg (Filesize: 179.69 KB)
20181016_080102-1.jpeg
* 20181016_080102-1.jpeg (Filesize: 110.58 KB)
20181016_081613-1.jpeg
* 20181016_081613-1.jpeg (Filesize: 110.78 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 04:29:37 PM
Nice set of combination wrenches!

I can’t tell from the pictures. What is the date code on those?
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 06:20:15 PM
Nice set of combination wrenches!

I can’t tell from the pictures. What is the date code on those?
Thank you, Cap! :cheers:

I don't think I saw a date code on them, but will double check next time I'm in my workshop. I do know the older set is mostly from the 1960s/1970s. The newer set is very recent.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 03:11:49 AM
Had this one handy, a Vaughan made rubber tipped hammer. Good for when something needs the smurf knocked out of it, but you don't want to leave tool marks. Last time I used it was yesterday, smacking the mortised joint on my dresser drawer (connecting the side to the front) back into place.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%