Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Inline philips... huntsman lite vs explorer

Myoman · 13 · 1334

Offline Myoman

Inline philips... huntsman lite vs explorer
on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:00 PM
Is there a difference in length between the inline Philip's of the huntsman lite and the newer shorter version of the explorer plus?

It's hard to tell from just looking at pics..if they use  the old Philip's for the huntsman or not

Thanks!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Inline philips... huntsman lite vs explorer
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:11 PM
If both knives have a clear plastic surround on the mas glass, the drivers will be the same length. If one of the knives has the grey plastic surround, then that driver will be slightly longer.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Myoman

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:27:27 PM
The huntsman doesnt have a mag glass. Its philips is paired up with the flashlight and looks slightly longer (to me)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:32:10 PM
 :facepalm:

Sorry. Brain fart.

My Voyager Lite has the same length Phillips as the newer style explorer  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:15:51 AM
I think the shorter inline Phillips was introduced to fit in with the flashlight, and was kept when they introduced the larger magnifying glass....

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 01:16:33 AM
Is there a difference in length between the inline Philip's of the huntsman lite and the newer shorter version of the explorer plus?
It's hard to tell from just looking at pics..if they use  the old Philip's for the huntsman or not
Thanks!

I just checked and discovered they're the same length.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 02:06:19 AM
Same length. Funny thing though, one time, I was messing around with a recessed screw on something I was taking apart--a modern Explorer couldn't go deep enough, but a 1990s Marlboro Outdoorsman had no trouble.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 03:12:10 AM
Same length. Funny thing though, one time, I was messing around with a recessed screw on something I was taking apart--a modern Explorer couldn't go deep enough, but a 1990s Marlboro Outdoorsman had no trouble.

That's because the Outdoorsman has the older gray framed magnifying lens,which will allow a longer Phillips driver.

The led in the Huntsman-lite is slightly longer than the gray framed mag lens of the Outdoorsman,which necessitates the shorter Phillips driver.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 11:37:01 AM

That's because the Outdoorsman has the older gray framed magnifying lens,which will allow a longer Phillips driver.

The led in the Huntsman-lite is slightly longer than the gray framed mag lens of the Outdoorsman,which necessitates the shorter Phillips driver.

I know. That's why I prefer the older ones, better lens and a better Phillips.

Offline Myoman

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 02:34:09 PM
What makes the lens better? I've been researching this and it seems like you markedly sacrifice surface area for magnification. I think in many instances, such as reading small print, surface area is much more important. I've also heard that you have to get really close with the old lens to have any clarity. Both lenses are glass now, so the only durability factor is the holder. Does it factor in that much? The magnification is also closer, 6x vs. 8x.

I'm interested in this because I'm getting a mod done and I have a choice between old and new lens/Philip's and I'm having a hard time deciding.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 04:38:07 PM
If you are using the mag glass like a loupe then magnification is key.  If you are using the mag glass for very small print the surface area is key.  I have the clear housing with plastic lens.  I don't recall if the new glass lens in clear housing is the same magnification as my plastic lens  :think:.

Heres a rough example of what I've just "tested".  Looking at a AAA cells very small print with grey/glass lens vs clear/plastic lens.  I have to hold the grey/glass lens closer by roughly 50% to focus as compared to the clear/plastic lens.  I thinking that makes sense.   

I prefer the clear/plastic for that scenario.  When I'm using my grey/glass its usually like a loupe. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Myoman

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
What about for tick/splinter removal and checking blemishes on skin? I think that will be my main use
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:13:16 PM by Myoman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 08:33:44 PM
IMO the clear housing with either glass or plastic lens will suffice.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!