Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What will be your hobo MT?

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
on: May 22, 2020, 07:09:54 AM
There's been a lot of talk floating around about the coming of a second great depression. Now I'm not here to peddle fear, but I do want to lighten the mood. So here's my inquiry; if you lost everything and became a train hopping traveler always getting into misadventures, what would your one choice for a tool be? It can be anything, a SAK, Leatherman, hobo tool, Slipjoint knife. (Post
pictures and give a reason please) AANnd go!
Screenshot_20200522-011206_Google.jpg
* Screenshot_20200522-011206_Google.jpg (Filesize: 158.67 KB)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:16:16 AM by _MattGyver_ »
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: What will be your hobo MT?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:24 AM
Should be an interesting thread.  Let's see...
  • I would definitely want something rust-resistant, as I might not always be in a position to keep the tool dry, let alone oil it.
  • I would want something as close to bullet-proof as possible; something that could shrug off being dropped on concrete or a rock with no more than cosmetic damage, since I would only get one tool (no backups) and I might not be in position to readily or quickly replace it if it got damaged.
  • I would want something that was capable and versatile, as it would be my only tool.

I don't have it down to one tool yet, but here's my short list (in no particular order):
  • Victorinox Swisstool - Others may disagree, but I say the Swisstool is the toughest and most capable tool in Vic's entire lineup.  Thinking about carrying around that 10+ ounces all day every day is a bit off-putting, however.  I know I'd be tempted to stow it in a backpack or similar for ease of carry, which would obviously not be ideal for ease of access or security against loss.
  • Victorinox Farmer X - Pretty much the other end of the spectrum from the Swisstool; still very tough, but definitely trading some capability for improved carry-ability.
  • Victorinox Swisstool Spirit - Compromise between Swisstool & Farmer X; Swisstool Spirit is probably more like twice the weight of the Farmer X, as opposed to the Swisstool which is pushing closer to three times the weight of the Farmer X

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:26:09 AM
Excellent choices Nate  :tu:

Mine would have to be the Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool. It's lightweight, has a can opener for those delicious beans I'll be eating, and the pliers and file always come in handy. PST's are also very easy to clean and you could oil the darn things with bacon grease! :multi:
20200522_022423.jpg
* 20200522_022423.jpg (Filesize: 180.1 KB)
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:49:44 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Matt....

Although I'd go an OG Supertool, for the same reasons.

My "go to" carry is a LM Wave, Gerber MP600, or Vic Outrider - but part of that is their relative capability/convenience/replacability factor.

If it came down to "There's no more production, what is the simplest, most reliable option" then original LM (PST or Supertool) have the least amount of moving parts and field servicability going around.

I imagine there's a few SOGs in that realm as well, but I don't own any of those :P

Anyway, the next fifteen responses will be "Vic Spirit!" So you'll have your democratic answer soon enough ;)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:17 AM
I'd pick my most expensive tool, sell it off and buy some lower cost tools with the funds...
Or is that cheating? :angel:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:55 AM
Spirit!

Superbly engineered, robust, great tool selection, all killer, no filler, it turns a hobo into a Super Hobo
20190401_102705.jpg
* 20190401_102705.jpg (Filesize: 264.6 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:35 PM
Spirit!

Superbly engineered, robust, great tool selection, all killer, no filler, it turns a hobo into a Super Hobo

:iagree:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:46 PM
Probably the tools that I already carry and for the same reasons.

I have already vetted and proven over and over that I have the best options for myself in the Skinth every day right now,why would I do otherwise really?

So Spirit X or Centerdrive/MP600 either would do and I like the flicked out plier feature on the Gerbers and the simple perfection of the Vic of course.

Either way I got to have some pliers for my misadventures :salute:!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 10:27:53 PM
I'm with Sea Monster and Matt.
Leatherman PST or Supertool for the reasons mentioned.
I'd pick this sheath out of my box...
resize-611.jpg
* resize-611.jpg (Filesize: 138.89 KB)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 12:06:50 AM
In my mind, the exercise is to choose the tool that suits the job of being a wanderer, in search of my next meal or shelter... Stowing away on train cars... Bartering...

I figure that I'll need a good blade for all around tasks including food prep, for which I'll also need a can opener  I'll need a saw or serrated blade for sheltering, and pliers for random work on  things I find (I won't be "fixing" anything as I assume I won't own anything).

So what's in the running for me... What I have now, and what comes to mind...

Leatherman - OG Wave or PST. I have an OG Wave and that would be a top contender. It's got a good tool set and is simple and reliable.  I would consider an original PST with the assumption that it's as indestructible as others have said.  But the saw and serrated blade on the Wave are a plus.  Though the OG Supertool is sturdy, I haven't grown to like it in 20 years.

Gerber - MP600:  simple tool set and reliable to boot. It's currently my backup in my work/emergency/get-home bag.  Probably not my final choice, mainly because it lacks a saw.

Victorinox - Spirit... Because.... Well... It's the Spirit.  93mm Alox Farmer is up there in the running - virtually indestructible and covers the bases.  How about the 111mm Hercules?  The main blade is going to be the most used tool, I imagine.  Among all of the above, the Hercules has the best one  It has a saw and a can opener.  Scissors and tweezers could be useful for first aid.  And, it's got a few screwdrivers and small pliers to get me in and out of places I'm not supposed to be.

So tentatively... Until someone changes my mind (which is bound to happen), my tool of choice if I were in dire straits and on the road...

Victorinox Hercules - maximum utility and versatility that's just right

And the next two in no particular order
Leatherman Wave - functional tool set with a separate plain and serrated blade, yet is small enough and  easy to use
Victorinox Spirit - has the tools you need and the design is bar none.  The chisel may come in really handy.
1180e8a8b054ab3a2959ed.jpg
* 1180e8a8b054ab3a2959ed.jpg (Filesize: 30.72 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 03:20:37 AM
Spirit X or Farmer X  :cheers:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 05:20:03 AM
Leatherman Charge Ti before the replaceable wire cutters. I’ve carried one most days for ten years. While I love my Swisschamp, the Charge has a fantastic blade and scissors. The only thing missing is an awl but that can be improvised.

I like the Spirit but the knife blade isn’t as good to me and I like the Charge saw and file much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:15:47 PM
Spirit X AND Farmer X  :cheers:

I fixed that for you...  :climber:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Online charlie fox

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 02:39:31 PM
I’d pick my old school original Wave. It seems to be the one I keep coming back to anyway  ::)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 05:35:52 AM
Spirit gets my vote  :whistle:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:23 AM
but why though... ?  :pok:

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:34 AM
but why though... ?  :pok:

Because the Spirit is awesome!

:D

us Offline Pop

Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 07:08:33 AM
I'd have to go with my farmer X. I rarely use pliers, so I wouldn't want a multi tool weighing me down. And as much as I love my slipjoints it would be silly to pick something without a can opener. I briefly considered a Mora, but being a drifter with a fixed blade didn't work out for John Rambo.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 12:17:13 AM
I'd have to go with my farmer X. I rarely use pliers, so I wouldn't want a multi tool weighing me down. And as much as I love my slipjoints it would be silly to pick something without a can opener. I briefly considered a Mora, but being a drifter with a fixed blade didn't work out for John Rambo.

Can't argue with that reasoning.   :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 03:41:06 AM
I briefly considered a Mora, but being a drifter with a fixed blade didn't work out for John Rambo.

:rofl:

us Offline getahl

Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 05:29:49 PM
One of the  thinner 111mm SAKs, just need the can opener, a spoon, P38 as a spare, sillcock wrench, and a gallon jug for water

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 04:02:56 PM
I actually met a Hobo who carried a multi tool last year. By choice he lived a lifestyle where he hopped trains and traveled across America and Canada. I guess there is a small counterculture of these people who travel by train and live in Hobo camps near train tracks. He said he has been everywhere from Alaska to Florida.

Anyway, he had a Snap On multi tool that he bought at an auto parts store.  He said he used all of the tools, especially the can opener.

Something of note. I showed him my Leatherman Wave. He replied, “something that nice could get me killed. It’s dangerous out here.  I have a cheap one on purpose.” 

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 10:58:56 PM
I actually met a Hobo who carried a multi tool last year. By choice he lived a lifestyle where he hopped trains and traveled across America and Canada. I guess there is a small counterculture of these people who travel by train and live in Hobo camps near train tracks. He said he has been everywhere from Alaska to Florida.

Anyway, he had a Snap On multi tool that he bought at an auto parts store.  He said he used all of the tools, especially the can opener.

Something of note. I showed him my Leatherman Wave. He replied, “something that nice could get me killed. It’s dangerous out here.  I have a cheap one on purpose.”

Now this is a reason that I can respect for not carrying the best tool but instead carrying one you will not regret too much when it is gone! :salute:

Otherwise why wouldn't I already be carrying my favorite tool while not a Hobo?! :think:
Yet? :whistle:

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 04:33:49 AM
Don't forget everyone, the original hobo was a wanderer looking for work. Those pliers may, or may not depending on future occupations, come in handy

If I get two then OG Wave and Soldier. If but just one then OG Wave or Farmer (X).
Maybe Surge with that T-shank adapter. Definitely have to perform blade touchups after skinning a few bunnies and squirrels! :rofl:

Truthfully, I would be satisfied with nothing more than the Soldier/Pioneer line.
Crap maybe I should bring my deer/camp knife.....KA-BAR? ugh....

I'm the person that brings everything I own with me and sheds and trades the things I don't need :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Something of note. I showed him my Leatherman Wave. He replied, %u201Csomething that nice could get me killed. It%u2019s dangerous out here.  I have a cheap one on purpose.%u201D 

I've heard that too. That counter-culture is pretty big I think. Have a look on the Tube. Heck I watched a few tubers and they dang near convinced me to hop on the train behind my buddies house. I still ponder the idea and have a slight idea of where it goes! :rofl:
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 01:51:01 PM
Definetely a Spirit, it's not even a contest.
VICKIES I own:
CLASSICS: Techno ( lost it ) , Edelweiss Green &  Black Alox
91MMs: Cybertool Lite ( My #1 fav EDC) , SoftTouch Climber RT, SoftTouch Desert Digital Camo Huntsman & StayGlow Spartan Lite.
111MMs AND BEYOND: One Handed Forester MWC ( My #4 fav EDC), Soldier 2008, Master RT, Hunter XS, TrailMaster MWC Desert, Rescue Tool Swisstool Spirit ( My # 2 fav EDC ) & Hunter Pro Alox Red.

LEATHIES I own:
Crunch ( My # 3 fav EDC) , Signal, Style CS & Style PS.

us Offline Pop

Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 02:53:08 PM
If you take the danger aspect into the equation something like a fieldmaster with a scale missing or PST would be a good option. PSTs look a lot like the generic Walmart specials. Especially if you put a distressed paint job on the handles.

us Offline turbov21

Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 04:44:31 PM
Probably my trusty Super Tinker. The main functions I'd want are:
  • Small, easily hidden in my pocket, bag, etc.
  • Can opener, I've never found a better can opener than the ST.
  • Knife, the two blades on the ST cut through most bags, boxes, tape, etc. Plus having two gives me a backup if one breaks.
  • Miscellaneous tool, scissors and screwdrivers when needed.

If I could take two then I'd include my LM Freestyle because I've found the pliers are useful for opening bottles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%