Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacing 84 mm Scissor Springs

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Replacing 84 mm Scissor Springs
on: October 31, 2018, 01:14:47 AM
I've watched the Youtube videos and read every thread I can find on this subject, but I am not having luck.  I am attempting to replace the spring on a pair of 84 mm scissors using the Victorinox springs that come in the repair kit, which I think are meant for 91 mm knives.  The problem I have is curling the end that goes in the eye of the scissors a little tighter to make it fit the smaller eye of the 84 mm scissors.  I can't quite get it right, and eventually the end gets fatigued and breaks off.  I've ruined two brand new springs doing this. 

Any tips from folks who have done this successfully?

Thanks,

Myron

Offline SAKguy

• New User

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Re: Replacing 84 mm Scissor Springs
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:25:10 AM
I've watched the Youtube videos and read every thread I can find on this subject, but I am not having luck.  I am attempting to replace the spring on a pair of 84 mm scissors using the Victorinox springs that come in the repair kit, which I think are meant for 91 mm knives.  The problem I have is curling the end that goes in the eye of the scissors a little tighter to make it fit the smaller eye of the 84 mm scissors.  I can't quite get it right, and eventually the end gets fatigued and breaks off.  I've ruined two brand new springs doing this. 

Any tips from folks who have done this successfully?

Thanks,

Myron

If the 91mm scissors springs work ok and are not too big to worn on the 84's, my suggestion would be to enlarge the hole for the spring with an appropriate drill, bevel the new edge lightly and then try to fit the 91's again.
However i advise this of you are handy with that kind of work, if not just leave it alone and try something else
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:37:50 AM
The hole, and I think the curly bit of the spring, is tapered.  :think:
Make sure that you are trying to insert the spring in the wide end of the hole in the scissors tang.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 12:42:06 PM
Great tips.  Thanks you guys. 

Myron

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:28:04 PM
I made some progress on this problem.  If you'd like to see how this turned out and what I discovered, I posted some pictures and a how-to here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,79605.0.html

us Offline Simyo

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:37:31 AM
First you need to make sure your using old scissor springs with the flat end instead of the newer ones with the rounded tip that slides in the groove of the scissors or pliers.  Make sure like someone else said you trying to insert it into the correct side.  I took the spring out and squished the eye a bit and then used a small hammer and tapped it into the hole.  Good luck man.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 06:40:27 AM
I saw your progress report in pictures after I wrote what I did, great job man.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 06:29:06 PM
Thanks Simyo!  Yep, it's all good now that I have a good technique and the right tools.... 

Myron

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD