Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The parts exchangeability thread

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
The parts exchangeability thread
on: November 06, 2018, 01:48:41 PM
I hope this thread will provide some help for anyone that just wants to repair/replace a broken part, or having some questions before or during the modding process.

The ideal is to give everyone an insight of what parts from what tools are interchangeable, with or without alterations. What difficulties or hiccups that you face in the process. Sometimes it may be cheaper/easier to use parts from tool A to repair tool B, or this certain tool part is better than the stock for example.

So what parts have u switched around before?

Pics and some simple explanations are welcome!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:50:06 PM by Sam Lim »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: The parts exchangeability thread
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:05:52 PM
LM, SOG, Victorinox, etc?  :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
I used a SOG saw blade for my MP 600. It has the same size pivot hole and fit with some minor re-profiling  :tu:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67583.msg1313907.html#msg1313907

SOG parts also work with some Leatherman's

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:26 PM
LM, SOG, Victorinox, etc?  :like:

All are welcome to the party. I am especially keen to know how a spyderco blades can fit into a Sak.  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:43:58 PM
Well, for starters, the 91mm SAK woodsaw and metal file is completely interchangeable. :tu: Same for the chisel and fine screwdriver backtools that go with them.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:45 PM
 :like: the idea.

A first go could be to make a list of implements (grouped by manufacturer?) and detailing things like tang thickness, pivot size, profile details of the tang (such as lock slots) but also of the implement (length and width)... thickness profile as well, I found out that some tools are thicker in their "live" area than at the tang (e.g. Phillips from a Surge).

I've once made a small, limited list of this kind for the Wave/Charge and Rebar.

This list could grow to be very, very long. Also, we'd have to establish a layout, and contents as well as presentation of same (profile info with a 1:1 drawing or projection)...

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:17 PM
Excellent idea Sam :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:26:19 PM
Internal tools from the Leatherman Blast, Fuse, Kick, Rebar, gen 2 Wave (and newer plus models), Signal and Charge (Al, TTi, etc.) all share the same pivot diameters and locking notch arrangement.  The thicknesses vary (see Dutch_Tooler's post linked upthread), and some may need modification to clear plier heads and other internal features when closed.

Similarly, the plier heads from the same tools are interchangeable with two exceptions: the Rebar head may not fit into a Wave/Charge without further modification, and the Kick plier head is profiled on one side to clear the long internal tools.

Sidekick and Wingman (and Rev/Leap?) tools can be made to fit into the above multitools with a bit of grinding to the lock/nail nick area but the pliers, knife, saw and scissors pivot holes are smaller and need enlarging.

Wave, Charge and Signal knife blades, saws and files are interchangeable, with the possible exception of the liner locking ramp angle.  Some modification may be needed to the Wave/Charge blade locking arm if you swap a blade for a file/saw.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 03:28:30 PM
:like: the idea.

A first go could be to make a list of implements (grouped by manufacturer?) and detailing things like tang thickness, pivot size, profile details of the tang (such as lock slots) but also of the implement (length and width)... thickness profile as well, I found out that some tools are thicker in their "live" area than at the tang (e.g. Phillips from a Surge).

I've once made a small, limited list of this kind for the Wave/Charge and Rebar.

This list could grow to be very, very long. Also, we'd have to establish a layout, and contents as well as presentation of same (profile info with a 1:1 drawing or projection)...

That's tiring!  :D Unless the person have digital caliper, it's difficult to look at the numbers. But this is a really good idea. I usually depend on the standard MyII eyeball gauge...results varies wildly of course..  :facepalm:

I was only thinking about using photo as comparison. Like a stock against another non stock tool.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:35:40 PM
Internal tools from the Leatherman Blast, Fuse, Kick, Rebar, gen 2 Wave (and newer plus models), Signal and Charge (Al, TTi, etc.) all share the same pivot diameters and locking notch arrangement.  The thicknesses vary (see Dutch_Tooler's post linked upthread), and some may need modification to clear plier heads and other internal features when closed.

Similarly, the plier heads from the same tools are interchangeable with two exceptions: the Rebar head may not fit into a Wave/Charge without further modification, and the Kick plier head is profiled on one side to clear the long internal tools.

Sidekick and Wingman (and Rev/Leap?) tools can be made to fit into the above multitools with a bit of grinding to the lock/nail nick area but the pliers, knife, saw and scissors pivot holes are smaller and need enlarging.

Wave, Charge and Signal knife blades, saws and files are interchangeable, with the possible exception of the liner locking ramp angle.  Some modification may be needed to the Wave/Charge blade locking arm if you swap a blade for a file/saw.

:salute:

I would like to add that most modern tools from Sog, LM and Gerber uses the same pivot size. They are 4.5mm on the tools side. The only issues are if there enough material around the pivot for you play around to fit into other tools. Like example, tools from a PSTwill fit into a wave with some modification. But not the other way round.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:43 PM
The Victorinox 84 mm combo tool can be used in the 91 mm SAK frame if you increase the diameter of the pivot hole from 2.2 mm to 2.5 mm.  It sits a little low in the knife but works OK if you can't get your hands on a 91 mm combo tool.

Pioneer Solo blade spring can be used as a back spring for 91 mm scissors in a 93 mm alox mod, with a lot of grinding and tweaking. (Though why you'd want to nowadays with the availability of the Pioneer X is questionable...)

2 x Farmer saw backsprings can be used to fit newer pliers from a 91 mm knife into a 93 mm mod.  The pliers handle requires some reshaping to suit.

91 mm files can be fitted in place of a 93 mm saw with only the pivot hole needing to be re-drilled.

93 mm awls and sheepsfoot/pruner blades (e.g. from the Electrician and Harvester) can be fitted in place of the small blade on a 91 mm knife.

91 mm inline phillips and magnifier can be fitted to a 93 mm alox SAK with a Pioneer blade backspring.

Wenger/Victorinox Delemont scissors can, with enough hacking, be made to fit 84 mm SAKs.

Awls, corkscrews and back-side Phillips drivers from the 84 mm and 91 mm Victorinox SAKs are completely interchangeable.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:49:50 PM
I would like to add that most modern tools from Sog, LM and Gerber uses the same pivot size. They are 4.5mm on the tools side.

:tu:  The pivot is 3/16" (4.76 mm), I believe.  I can't quite recall what the Wave/Rebar/etc. pliers pivot size is.  7/32" (5.56 mm), maybe? :think:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 04:15:02 PM
I would like to add that most modern tools from Sog, LM and Gerber uses the same pivot size. They are 4.5mm on the tools side.

:tu:  The pivot is 3/16" (4.76 mm), I believe.  I can't quite recall what the Wave/Rebar/etc. pliers pivot size is.  7/32" (5.56 mm), maybe? :think:

Thanks for the correct! I can never figure out (why :think:) the imperial measurement.. I somehow remember them as 4.5mm.. Not sure how that idea came about either..  :salute:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 08:34:21 PM

On the Wave and Rebar I measured 4.8 handle tool pivot and 5.5 mm plier pivot (Wave: blades too) with the caliper. I believe the same applies to ST300 and Surge, although tang profiles for the big tools are different from the small tools.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 07:19:59 AM
I broke down a OG Supertool yesterday. Most of the parts went into a supertool 300 frame with no problem after some grinding on the locking notch. It was bought pretty cheap with the intention of salvaging it for parts.

I am particular happy to report the OG pliers went into my fuse with minimal issues. (it's have a bad pliers) Pivot size and pivot area are surprisingly, the same. It's a little thicker, so I need to file down a little on the zytel. This pliers are also quite a bit longer than the stock so it gets caught on the tools' nail nick when closing and opening. Some dremel action solved the problem. So now I have a SuperFuse.  :cheers:

So a OG supertool pliers will fit into the zytel series. Those LM models with the 2 spring feet at the pliers will probably fit too if, u remove them. Eg. Wave/rebar etc.
IMG_20181107_140839-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20181107_140839-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 86.73 KB)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:28:39 AM by Sam Lim »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 07:34:16 AM
The internal tools on the OG ST went into a ST300 with some work on the locking notch.

Almost all the parts other than the frame are utilised.
IMG_20181107_143048-912x684.jpg
* IMG_20181107_143048-912x684.jpg (Filesize: 191.49 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 08:39:14 AM
Nice mod (and info) Sam :like:

"Work on the locking notch" of which nature? Well, I know, filing or sanding, but what are the differences in profile?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 09:10:48 AM
Some more reference info:

Hi, I'm very interested in modding my PST, but I have some concern about the tools fitting. Does someone with a digital caliper have the measurements of the thickness (of the area around the pivot hole) of the wave/charge saw, and of the surge saw/file holder. Thanks a ton!
reference Information
Diameter axes:
The diameter of the PST pliers axis - 4.8mm, length 9mm
Diameter pliers axis Wave Original - 4.8mm, length of 14.4 mm
Diameter pliers axis Wave New - 5.5mm, length of 13.3 mm
Diameter pliers axis Blast / Fuse / Kick - 5.5mm, length 16.4 / 14.8 / mm?
Diameter pliers axis ST300 - 5.5mm, the length of 9.5 mm
Diameter pliers axis Surge - 5.5mm, length 15.5mm
The diameter of the PST tool axis - 4.8mm
The diameter of the tool axis Wave Original -4.8 mm, length 13.1 mm
The diameter of the tool axis Wave - 4.8mm
The diameter of the tool axis Blast / Fuse / Kick - 4.8mm, length 16.4 / 14.8 / mm?
The diameter of the tool axis ST300 - 4.8mm
Shaft diameter with tools Surge- 4.8mm, Length 16.7mm

Thickness tools:
Phillips screwdriver Kick / Fuse / Blast - 5mm
Opener Kick / Fuse / Blast / Wave / Charge - 1,87mm
Knife Kick - 1,74mm
Ring Lanyard Kick / Fuse / Blast - 0,77 mm
All the other instruments (approximately) - 2,34-2,36mm

Tools SOG - 1,98mm (except adapter on bits)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 09:41:32 AM
Sam,

Good thread idea! Thank you. :salute:

Have you used any Flik tools(Saw and scissors) in an MP600? I have a beater Flik that was used as fodder for the plastic slide things and pliers replacement. Was thinking about just breaking it apart to customize another MP600/400.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 09:49:43 AM
Sam,

Good thread idea! Thank you. :salute:

Have you used any Flik tools(Saw and scissors) in an MP600? I have a beater Flik that was used as fodder for the plastic slide things and pliers replacement. Was thinking about just breaking it apart to customize another MP600/400.

It wouldn't work I think.. The pivot size on the flik's 4 main tools are larger than those on the mp400/600.

Not a simple drop in at least.. I have used a wave file with the 5.5mm sized pivot hole on a 600(smaller size) Locks up perfectly. Just have to be mindful of where you want to grind/file to have the maximum lock up.  :think: but I doubt the flik have sufficient material for that. Have to check when I am back home. Happened to have a broken down flik also...  :facepalm:

My flik have a broken pliers tool.. It's a really complicated design at the bottom of the pliers. And weak ime.. It breaks/collapse on heavy pressure.. Actually the whole flik mechanism is really weird and overly complicated..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:59:42 AM by Sam Lim »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 12:43:29 PM
Thanks, Sam!  :salute:
I'll leave the Flik alone for now. Maybe a messed up Flik with good pliers will show up one day.

Yeah, the plier mechanism is ridiculous, to work on. Getting the 4 slide screws aligned through the plastic piece and two levels into the threads took 20 minutes when I did the swap. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 01:19:01 PM
Thanks, Sam!  :salute:
I'll leave the Flik alone for now. Maybe a messed up Flik with good pliers will show up one day.

Yeah, the plier mechanism is ridiculous, to work on. Getting the 4 slide screws aligned through the plastic piece and two levels into the threads took 20 minutes when I did the swap. :facepalm:

;) here u go. It will not work...
IMG_20181107_201721-684x912.jpg
* IMG_20181107_201721-684x912.jpg (Filesize: 76.49 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 01:23:58 PM
I'll just add, that I put  a LM Blast/Fuse Phillips, scissors and can opener on a SOG Powerlock with success
No grinding, sanding, cutting or modding needed, they fit just in and lock with minimal wobble  :hatsoff:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 01:25:47 PM

"Work on the locking notch" of which nature? Well, I know, filing or sanding, but what are the differences in profile?

The profile are very close. Just need to enlarge the notch a little. Go slow though. Any slight misalignment here and the tip of that tool will go off by a large angle. And that's super irritating. Its a one chance kind of thing.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:30:25 PM
I'll just add, that I put  a LM Blast/Fuse Phillips, scissors and can opener on a SOG Powerlock with success
No grinding, sanding, cutting or modding needed, they fit just in and lock with minimal wobble  :hatsoff:

(Image removed from quote.)

:like: makes u think the 2 of them are buddies for a while..  :D

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:34 PM
This type of thread is a great idea for those of us tempted to try modding. However, I would prefer a separate thread for SAKS, mostly to avoid having to search past info that is irrelevant (and vice versa for pliers based tools).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 02:05:19 PM

The profile are very close. Just need to enlarge the notch a little. Go slow though. Any slight misalignment here and the tip of that tool will go off by a large angle. And that's super irritating. Its a one chance kind of thing.

OK, thanks :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:20 PM
This type of thread is a great idea for those of us tempted to try modding. However, I would prefer a separate thread for SAKS, mostly to avoid having to search past info that is irrelevant (and vice versa for pliers based tools).

I appreciate the thought, however this would be counterproductive in case you were open to adding SAK tools into a plier based multitool and vice versa...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 02:30:40 PM

I think there's already a rather similar thread for the sak mods. Though I have never really done any mods for Sak, I am always amazed by what can happen in such a small little package. Its really a fine art as compared to a full fledge MT where alot of times its a die die make it fit kind of work. Sak mods are mostly very clean and detailed work. What I meant to say is that it is still a very informative and good read on the earlier part of this thread where there are alot of sak details even if I dun mess with them. But of course, you are free to start a new intended thread if u deem it to separate them.  :cheers: :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 03:13:56 PM

;) here u go. It will not work...
Thank you much, Sam! :cheers:

Now I see the lock pad profile, I may be going to see if I can make a pin adapter washer. Thank you for posting that. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%